Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What is everyone up to today

(114 Posts)
Jadey Sat 23-Mar-13 12:06:11

I am waiting for my GS to visit, haven't seen him for 2 weeks so looking forward to seeing his smiley happy face.

Its snowing here in London, I live opposite a Park and it looks so beautiful.

kittylester Sat 23-Mar-13 15:29:55

Glass DGS1 had a Pirates and Princesses party two weeks ago - I think I'm better now grin I was a pirate too - well, I wore a black stripey t-shirt and an eye patch.

Hope it went well Nellie - let us know. sunshine

We also have visitors this weekend. DD2 and DGD2 have come as SiL is working all weekend to meet deadlines and the hope was that DD3 would oblige and give birth at the end of last week - she didn't!! But that just means they will have to come again to meet the new baby! smile

Ariadne Sat 23-Mar-13 15:34:50

Just got home from Oxford, where we had dinner at Trinity College - some of the best vegetarian food ever! Heavy snow as we left, the rain, and now, at home, just grey and cold. I have to say that I feel better than I deserve; no trace of that mystery virus that I get sometimes....

Jadey Sat 23-Mar-13 15:36:39

I dont want to bring misery to this thread but need to talk....GS just came and it was all good until my sons new partner of 12 months came over too.

My GS's Mum, obviously in her case, hates my son's new partner and has poisioned my GS poor little brain against her and so when my son's partner came over mt GS refused to go anywere with her!!!!!

I am in despair and not sure who to try and help first, sorry to be miserable, but you always help me figure things out and be most effective.

kittylester Sat 23-Mar-13 15:41:17

You are building up immunity Ariadne grin

Jadey can you talk to your grandson about how his mum might be feeling and therefore maybe exaggerated things about the new partner? Sorry, don't know how old your DGS is and whether that is appropriate but if the Mum is poisoning his mind then maybe you can redress the balance.

Jadey Sat 23-Mar-13 15:46:50

Tried but the poor little thing is caught in the middle and obviously trying to be loyal to his Mum, he is 4

Movedalot Sat 23-Mar-13 15:47:10

Sorry to hear that Jadey but I have no idea how to deal with it, just want to show you some sympathy flowers

Jadey Sat 23-Mar-13 15:52:52

I have had a little think, and feel that there are a few things that we can do, thank you for your posts

Jade x

numberplease Sat 23-Mar-13 16:05:02

How did it go Smoluski? Hope it`s good news?

nanaej Sat 23-Mar-13 16:48:46

Hi, Have been making a chocolate mousse to contribute to meal later this evening. We are just about to go out to meet up with bunch of pals (known each other since the 60s) at the home of one of them who was diagnosed with Motor Nuerone disease last summer. Cannot talk now and is difficult for him to swallow but otherwise is still mobile and at work. sad

numberplease Sat 23-Mar-13 16:56:23

Soop probably is cut off, the caravan site we go to has no mobile or broadband at the moment, and they`re only juust down the road from Soop
Not up to much here, far too cold, went out to the garage to put a load into the washing machine, took me ages to thaw my hands out afterwards.

Marelli Sat 23-Mar-13 17:31:47

Noticed that as well, number. There was a message from A's at Muasdale's sister on Facebook to say that there was no Internet or mobile service in Kintyre - and that was yesterday! soop will be clutching Rory (and a wee dram) and staring out at an angry grey sea!

numberplease Sat 23-Mar-13 17:33:53

Yes, Marelli, I can just picture that!

Butty Sat 23-Mar-13 17:45:19

ej Have a good evening. I have a friend who's son has MND - a despicable disease.

Galen Sat 23-Mar-13 17:51:20

I misread that as an angry grey seal!

Ana Sat 23-Mar-13 17:54:45

Me too!

shysal Sat 23-Mar-13 17:59:31

And me! I expect there are some of those too!

baubles Sat 23-Mar-13 17:59:37

Had a mooch around the west end with a friend then went to see a lunchtime play, a very powerful drama about Peter Manuel (does anyone remember him?). Very agreeable day smile

Butty Sat 23-Mar-13 18:03:31

baubles envy

annodomini Sat 23-Mar-13 18:03:37

The Glaswegian murderer who gave us nightmares in the 1950s?

baubles Sat 23-Mar-13 18:10:00

The very one anno . I grew up four miles from where he lived & children used his name as a Bogeyman type threat even after his execution. My friend is ten years my junior & had never heard of him!

Marelli Sat 23-Mar-13 18:11:44

Was he not the last man to be executed in Scotland, baubles?

Just looked at my post again, shysal, galen and Ana! It does look like 'seal'!! There again...maybe that's what gave Rory a doing-over...hmm

Marelli Sat 23-Mar-13 18:12:36

Our posts crossed a wee bit there, baubles!

Elegran Sat 23-Mar-13 18:22:45

Do I remember some stuff fairly recently about Peter Manuel possibly not being the one who dunnit? Can't remember details. Will Google.

Elegran Sat 23-Mar-13 18:31:27

Found him. Yes he did dunnit, all of it. He was not the last man hanged in Scotland though - he was second last in Barlinnie and third last in Scotland.

If you are interested British Executions

sunflowersuffolk Sat 23-Mar-13 19:04:47

Lol about the angry seal me too!