Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Red Krill Oil

(71 Posts)
cathy Sat 27-Apr-13 08:06:47

Apparently its designed to help heart eye and brain function, saw it advertised on TV last night by Carol Vorderman,

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this product, thanks

Greatnan Sat 27-Apr-13 12:06:36

I use natural yoghurts in soups as well. I like the Greek-style, rather than the very runny. At the moment, I am just going to eat a sliced banana with half and half of natural and lemon yoghurt.

feetlebaum Sat 27-Apr-13 12:32:47

Another red light on Krill Oil - Doctor Oz, the American TV quack is promoting it...

Re Vorderman - nice shape...

JessM Sat 27-Apr-13 12:51:57

oh must be good if "dr oz" is promoting it. Rush out and buy some now.

annodomini Sat 27-Apr-13 13:09:05

Vorderman is :"... a strong brand ambassador and has once again provided her endorsement of the Sambucol range. AdConnection's media strategy is spot on for our target – reaching them in the right places at the right time."

So now we know what a 'brand ambassador' is!

www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1104905/Carol-Vorderman-fronts-Sambucol-marketing-drive

absent Sat 27-Apr-13 13:46:18

annodomini That is a most extraordinary picture of CV. She looks as if she's got cheeks like a hamster.

JessM Sat 27-Apr-13 14:00:27

Heavily photoedited to say the least. You can't do that, even if you do spend all your ill gotten gains on surgery!

annodomini Sat 27-Apr-13 14:04:51

Not sure I'd want cheeks like that! It's a safe bet that she has never taken any of the supplements she advertises and I can't imagine that she'd need a debt management company.

cathy Sat 27-Apr-13 18:58:22

yesjessM you are right, I really did hope that the claims about the Red Krill Oil were true, I take Vitamin B and it does make a difference.

MrsJamJam Sat 27-Apr-13 19:33:52

There are huge ships hoovering up krill from our oceans, and as the entire ocean food chain depends on them there isnprobably an environmental disaster in the making. Please don't support this very damaging industry.

cathy Sat 27-Apr-13 19:38:09

I have learnt alot about Krill now and of course will not support the industry, thank you for letting me know

absent Sat 27-Apr-13 20:07:51

I repeat – if you eat a mixed diet and do not have specific health issues, you don't need supplements. At best, your body will simply excrete them and at worst they will cause harm.

cathy Sat 27-Apr-13 21:21:37

thank you

JessM Sun 28-Apr-13 00:09:54

most of the krill is used for things like animal feed and fertiliser. hmm We have already done so much harm to the oceans sad but we keep on finding more ways to "harvest" them.

Florence56 Sun 28-Apr-13 16:14:51

Krill - best left for those who depend upon it I think - the whales etc etc. Our bodies are clever things and designed to function perfectly well as long as we give it a good old fashioned mix diet. That is plenty of foodstuffs thats not been 'mucked about' too much. I once read a rather stuffy old book on the chemistry of the body and it works amazingly well as long as we don't poison it with all the chemicals in processed food and other unneccessary things like ciggies and too much alchohol.

Eloethan Sun 28-Apr-13 23:55:12

I have very little respect for "celebrities" that endorse various products and services - and I would actively avoid anything they advertise.

It's now becoming common for various celebrities to go on chat shows and start name dropping the products they are paid to endorse - Patsy Kensit recently did this for Slimming World and I believe Danni Minogue did the same for another product.

Greatnan Mon 29-Apr-13 05:57:28

I find it odd that people like Michael Parkinson should want to endorse the Over 50's insurance schemes, which give very poor value. Surely he can't need the money - perhaps he just can't stand not to have his face on TV?
The danger with Vordeman is that some people will be naive enough to think that she actually knows about finance when she endorses some loan company.

JessM Mon 29-Apr-13 06:16:30

I agree greatnan the same thought had occurred to me re MP. This does not count as a graceful retirement from showbiz in my book.

Orca Mon 29-Apr-13 06:30:20

Carol Voderman graduated from Cambridge at 20 and I think she had quite a hard time growing up, both financially and in a one-parent family.

HUNTERF Mon 29-Apr-13 07:25:53

Nothing wrong with finding Shakespeare boring.
I have got a 2.1 degree in Business Studies.
I got grade 6 ''O'' Level English Language on the third attempt.
I find Shakespeare boring.

Frank

Orca Mon 29-Apr-13 07:36:09

Frank good on you mate.

absent Mon 29-Apr-13 07:43:02

HUNTERF O Level English language had pretty much nothing to do with Shakespeare and pretty much everything to do with being able to express yourself clearly when writing your own language.

Orca Mon 29-Apr-13 07:57:25

Is that a put down Absent?

Greatnan Mon 29-Apr-13 07:59:59

Oh, dear, Orca, why are you always looking for an argument? We are just chatting about TV 'personalities' and their penchant for endorsing dodgy products.

feetlebaum Mon 29-Apr-13 08:08:56

For my part - I can think of few things more boring than Business Studies!

Probably why I am poor...

Greatnan Mon 29-Apr-13 08:23:42

Feetle - I often wonder why financial advisors are not all rich! Reminds me of those chaps who used to advertise that they could show you how to win the pools! Mind you, the partners in the big four accountancy firms are doing pretty well.