Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Nominate for the best older person's character

(62 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 03-Jul-13 11:31:45

Following the success of The Roses last year, we're delighted to be involved in The Older People In The Media Awards (new name, same thing) in 2013.

As last year, there will be a special Gransnet award for the best older person's character in a film, TV or radio drama, chosen by gransnetters. (Last year, Maggie Smith won as the Dowager Lady Grantham in Downton Abbey). As last year, the character must have appeared between August last year and August this year.

Suggest nominations here. We'll have a chance to vote on a shortlist after the summer.

Full details on the page. You can also vote on all the other categories on the awards web page.

This is a really good way of generating discussion about the issues facing older people and how they are portrayed, so we are putting on our thinking caps here at GNHQ. That usually requires wine

laidback Thu 18-Jul-13 01:35:48

The Queen... opening ceremony of the olympics!grin

HildaW Fri 19-Jul-13 19:51:26

Anne Reid......she was brilliant in the film with Daniel Craig - and I think she probably enjoyed herself!

inthefields Sun 21-Jul-13 22:50:02

Another vote for Anne Reid in Last Tango in Halifax, here.

HildaW Sat 27-Jul-13 16:23:34

Having watched Una Stubbs in 'Who do you think you are', I was reminded of what a brilliant job she does of being a very modern and feisty Mrs Hudson in Sherlock Holmes!

feetlebaum Tue 30-Jul-13 19:40:39

Anne Reid was wonderful in Doctor Who - sucking every drop of blood out of Roy Marsden, with her little straw...

HildaW Wed 31-Jul-13 15:16:10

OOh yes feetlebaum, she was good in that! Mind you I've gone right off Dr Who since the divine David left.

Iam64 Mon 19-Aug-13 12:32:12

Great suggestions here, my favourite would be Anne Reid for Last Tango in Halifax. Though - I love Stephanie Cole in Corrie (and everything else she has done)

Nonu Tue 20-Aug-13 10:10:11

Brenda Blethyn , I think she is super in everything . brings the screen to life !

baubles Thu 22-Aug-13 06:41:10

Alison Steadman has been marvellous in everything from Abigail's Party & Nuts in May to Gavin & Stacey, but I don't think I've seen her recently. How about Sunny Ormonde for Lilian in The Archers?

gillybob Thu 22-Aug-13 12:04:29

I have to agree with you baubles and nominate Alison Steadman she is a wonderful actress and I always thoroughly enjoy anything she appears in. Her more recent TV appearances include, The Syndicate in which she plays a character called Rose who is a member of a hospital syndicate who win the Euro lottery and Love and Marriage in which she plays Pauline, a woman who wonders if there must be more to life after retirement and despite her families disapproval, ups sticks and leaves her husband.

Who can forget her Mrs Bennet in Pride and Prejudice?

shysal Sun 01-Sep-13 17:29:51

I am enjoying the new series of Vera, with Brenda Blethyn. I googled her and found she is my age, so definitey 'older'!