Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Apart from Arnica, what's good for bruises?

(71 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 24-Jul-13 10:36:20

Good morning all.

I had an unfortunate incident with a wheelie bin last night, and now have a very painful bruised shin. I can't get to anywhere other than the village shop, so any suggestions as to what I can do?

It's so sore that when Maurice brushed against it I nearly jumped through the ceiling!

Bez Thu 25-Jul-13 11:30:08

How is your shin today? Hope there is some healing.

Anne58 Thu 25-Jul-13 20:46:20

Probably not, Mishap if truth be told. blush

Bez thank you for your concern, shin quite a bit better, but there are new developments on my thigh and upper left buttock! (That might make it sound as if I have 4 buttocks, which of course I don't, except when wearing certain undergarments it does sometimes appear as if I do, a bit like those women that wear ill-fitting bras which make it seem like they have 4 breasts)

Thank goodness we live in an area with no CCTV cameras, it could have been on YouTube by now!

ninathenana Wed 13-Sep-17 11:27:09

I don't know how I missed this at the time gringrin

merlotgran Wed 13-Sep-17 12:48:18

phoenix, Please put me out of my misery because I'm worried that I'm losing the plot!

Did you used to be called Anne58 and if so how come everyone else is calling you phoenix?

confused

Willow500 Wed 13-Sep-17 13:02:56

Ah now I understand - the date of the original post is 4 years ago before my time - well on GN anyway - if it was before my time I'd be too young to read it! Hope you've never tried to fall in the bin since Phoenix grin

SueDonim Wed 13-Sep-17 14:27:29

Oh, fabulous, Phoenix! grin I hope the bruised shin (and dignity) is healed by now!

phoenix Wed 13-Sep-17 14:37:07

merlot when I first joined GN I was phoenix, but there was a rather nasty event, which lead to the name change. GNHQ very kindly went through all my posts, and changed my name.

But of course, in the posts, people were still calling me phoenix, so I thought "sod it" phoenix I was and phoenix I will be again!

Crafting Wed 13-Sep-17 15:01:51

That would be phoenix rising from the ashes then...or in your case the wheelie bin! grin

Thank you whoever found this thread, before my time. Wonderful phoenix. You haven't changed at all. Please continue to give us all a good laugh, we need it grin

merlotgran Wed 13-Sep-17 15:22:53

Oh goody. There's no need for me to spend the rest of the day singing, 'They're coming to take me away Ha Ha.'

grin

downtoearth Wed 13-Sep-17 16:28:51

Wonder if Anusol or prep H would take down bruising a d swelling..have used pads soaked in witchazel to take down swelling and pain inhmm nether regions beforehmm

Baggs Wed 13-Sep-17 16:36:02

I find that if I just ignore bruises they go away eventually. I don't believe anything speeds up the process.

Baggs Wed 13-Sep-17 16:37:33

Haha! Answering the thread title and not the posts! ?????

TriciaF Wed 13-Sep-17 17:02:44

Phoenix I enjoyed your story grin Sometimes when I take our rubbish to the communal bins I think, what would I do if I threw the car keys in by mistake? And I imagine your scenario.
I always have a few bruises because I take aspirin daily. But if I bump myself somewhere, as soon as possible follow the RICE procedure.
ie Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate. This does reduce the bruising.

phoenix Wed 13-Sep-17 18:21:05

thanks for the suggestion, *downtoearth but this is an old thread resurrected by request! grin

However, I have heard that Anusol or Prep H can make a good face tightening cream, especially for eye bags!

(Notice that we are both avoiding the proper medical term for "piles", bugger to spell, unless you have a lot of experience of the condition! wink)

merlotgran Wed 13-Sep-17 18:24:18

Oh yes. Anusol is very good for frown lines between the eyes.

Just don't forget to wipe it off before going out. shock

phoenix Wed 13-Sep-17 18:28:15

Would that be with cotton wool pads, toilet roll or those "moist" botty wipes, Merlot ?

merlotgran Wed 13-Sep-17 18:33:54

phoenix, You grab the first thing that comes to hand when you (hopefully) catch sight of yourself in the mirror and realise you're sporting a white blaze like Champion the Wonder Horse.

Maybe not the dishcloth though.

phoenix Wed 13-Sep-17 18:39:47

But merlot you could leave it on if you were going to a 70's themed party and dressed as Adam Ant, surely?

You get the look, loose the lines, double whammy!

merlotgran Wed 13-Sep-17 18:52:36

I could go for both stripes at once and look like the Swiss flag.

phoenix Wed 13-Sep-17 19:19:05

gringrin