Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

grannies shouldn't need to worry so much

(148 Posts)
weedswoman Tue 06-Aug-13 11:15:58

Talking to other grannies, it was clear that our worries are much the same. I have started blogging on grannies who meditate and this is today's blog which is about the way to minimise worry

granniesmeditatetoo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/grannies-meditating-shouldnt-need-to.html

Ariadne Wed 07-Aug-13 09:08:21

I can top that! My DD arrived (47 years ago) six months before the wedding. And you are right, petallus - it did matter then. My MiL never forgave me. grin

DD is 19 years younger than me - think we grew up together.

I din't like the way the word "granny" is bandied about either. Did anyone see that awful (Shreddies? Weetabix?) advert is back? Makes my hackles rise!

vegasmags Wed 07-Aug-13 09:25:44

I'm with you Ariadne in my total disgust at the Knitting Nanas - so insulting and stereotypical. That and the Wonga people. Grrrrr...

JessM Wed 07-Aug-13 09:41:14

oh yes, nasty wongaads. and knitting weetabix.
Most first babies seem to arrive a year or two before the wedding these days don't they.
In my family there is a long and dishonourable tradition of pregnant brides: me, my mother, my grandmother, my great grandmother.... haven't checked the records before that. grin

KatyK Wed 07-Aug-13 09:44:09

Is 58 a bit young to be a grandad? I was a grandmother at 50. I know a few ladies who became grandmothers in their 40s.

j08 Wed 07-Aug-13 09:47:24

My daughter and son-in-law lived together for eight years before they married. They married because they felt it was good to make that final commitment before starting a family. I'm glad they did.

gillybob Wed 07-Aug-13 09:50:58

My son and daughter in law have three children and have lived together for nearly nine years. No sign of a wedding. If it doesn't bother them why should it bother me?

Mind you, when I had my son (at 18) my parents almost forced pushed me into getting married as they couldnt stand the shame. The marriage lasted all of about 3 months !

gillybob Wed 07-Aug-13 09:51:49

Blimey I made my mum a grandma at 38 ! shock

FlicketyB Wed 07-Aug-13 10:10:28

Oh dear, what youngsters fellow Gransnetters are! I didn't become a grandmother until I was in my mid-sixties. It must be genetic because three generations of women in my family before me were also 60 or 60 plus when they became grandparents. Why rush the good things in life?

Ariadne Wed 07-Aug-13 10:28:04

I was a grandmother at 50, and the last one arrived last year, when I was 66. Sad to know there won't be any more. (Sterilization, infertility etc) but my 6 are wonderful, ranging from 17 to 3.

And still with dear old Theseus...smile

henetha Wed 07-Aug-13 10:52:02

All my grandhildren call me Nan, which I love. Much nicer than Grannie...
Every grandparent is different with individual worries, but there certainly are similarities in many of our worries, aren't there.

Stansgran Wed 07-Aug-13 11:32:09

I don't meditate I sit on the swing and watch the clouds.

kittylester Wed 07-Aug-13 14:10:18

Oooh, Ariadne shock. DS1 was born nine month and one week after we got married. Mrs Bucket my mother wanted us to call him Justin (time - geddit)

kittylester Wed 07-Aug-13 14:15:32

I find that I witter about things between the children and their partners for ages after they have sorted themselves out because they only mention being unhappy, not the other way round!!

Nellie (((hug))), you do seem to be having a time of it at the moment. flowers

I hate the generic 'grannies'. I'm a 'Ma'!!

KatyK Wed 07-Aug-13 15:41:03

I don't like the term 'granny'. I too am nan. I hate it when the press have headlines such as 'granny mugged' or such like. I'm sure there is more to these ladies than just being a granny - like they've never been anything else.

Gagagran Wed 07-Aug-13 16:25:31

The name "Nan" or "Nannie" was anathema to my Mum (who had numerous GC and GGC) - she always said it sounded like goats!

She was Gran or Granny and I have followed suit but I accept and respect that all other Grandmothers have chosen the name they wish to be known as by their DGC. Does it really matter anyway? It's a personal choice and all part of life's rich tapestry.

KatyK Wed 07-Aug-13 16:46:17

I can see that it sounds like goats! Personal choice. I have a friend who gets her grandchildren to call her by her Christian name as she is so horrified at being a grandmother (although she loves them to bits).

LizG Wed 07-Aug-13 17:45:25

I would not like to be called by my Christian name and am 'grandma', my sister is 'nanna' but my all time favourite at the moment is being called 'mama' by my 18 month old grandson because he really means me - am I soppy or what?

KatyK Wed 07-Aug-13 17:51:20

No it's not soppy - it's lovely.

LizG Wed 07-Aug-13 17:57:27

Thanks KatyK smile

Galen Wed 07-Aug-13 18:58:47

The mil nicked grandma which I wantedangry so, as a great Terry Pratchett fan I became granny (as in Weatherwax!)
It seems to have mutated to Graggy? (A cross between granny and craggy?)

Mamie Wed 07-Aug-13 19:05:11

Patronising, ageist twaddle. Who on earth eats blackcurrant jam sandwiches? Sets my teeth on edge just to think about it.

Sel Wed 07-Aug-13 19:20:53

I had a granny, when my brother had children there was a conflict so the family acquired a Grandma - my Mum who really wanted to be Granny but became Grandma was the role model for my children - now I am Grandma She - last week my GD referred to me as she - I loved it. I hate labels and have never felt comfortable being Grandma She.

Galen Wed 07-Aug-13 19:26:11

She, who must be obeyed? (Rider Haggard Ayesha?) grin

Bags Wed 07-Aug-13 19:42:06

Blackcurrant jam is nice in a cheese sandwich.

Bags Wed 07-Aug-13 19:42:41

Specially Brie.