Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I gave away the Star Wars toys

(47 Posts)
broomsticks Mon 30-Sep-13 22:07:36

Has anyone else done anything as daft as that. My sons had the lot and they are worth a fortune now. Worse than that my grandson adores anything to do with Star Wars now.
blush

Jendurham Tue 01-Oct-13 22:33:18

The only thing of mine that I have is a copy of What Katy Did. My parents bought it for me when I was 6 years old, and I could read it.
I regularly show it to my grandchildren to show them how lucky they are.
However, I also have a copy of Rasselas (sp? doesn't look right but I cannot be bothered to go and find it) and Thomas More's Utopia, annotated by my grandmother, who was a headmistress in a village school. It's good to see her handwriting.

My grandson, who is autistic, loves Lego. He likes to watch someone else make the models up for him, then play with the finished product. Not going to be an engineer like his dad, but still wants to be a train driver.

My husband used to get upset at the fact that his younger brother cleared out his parents loft and got rid of all the toys that he and his brothers had as kids. Bit of sibling rivalry in that, I think.

Deedaa Tue 01-Oct-13 23:24:28

Oh so many things! My son's Star Wars toys, my 1960's Julip horses that would have been worth a fortune now, my beautiful Biba clothes that would have been worth even more ............... and my mother in law still complains about me "letting" her throw away the knitting patterns that I didn't even know she'd got!!!

Iam64 Wed 02-Oct-13 08:42:21

De-cluttering is such an emotional, and practical, task isn't it. We have finally given a huge collection of Barbi/Ken stuff away. I expect it's only a matter of time before our daughter's change their minds about not wanting the stuff - and we'll be to blame. I finally sent my afghan to the charity shop, about the same time the Barbi's went. I still have my own teddy bear, a black baby doll my grannie bought me in 1954, and a collection of odd ear rings. There are two huge boxes of treasured school exercise books, reports, brownie badge books that I couldn't bare to chuck out during our last serious attempt to de-clutter. I think the toys have to be in tip top condition to be worth serious cash - i hope so anyway, otherwise we recently sent a fortune to the charity shop.

AlieOxon Wed 02-Oct-13 08:56:05

I'm decluttering too. I have got rid of two lots to the charity shop and one of videos/TV to play them/playstation1 and games, to someone who actually wanted them when the shop wouldn't take them.

But when we cleared my father's house, he had KEPT my tiny black teddy bear that I hadn't seen for years....and that I keep.

AlieOxon Wed 02-Oct-13 08:56:59

Oh and my Hornby trains went years ago!

vampirequeen Wed 02-Oct-13 09:12:53

I declutter twice a year although a few things are sentimentally sacred even though they live in a drawer. Most things though are subject to the rule...'if it hasn't been used/worn for a year then it's not needed'

goldengirl Wed 02-Oct-13 12:17:21

My mother had a habit of giving my stuff away but I've managed to retrieve a fair bit back [books] via various websites. We kept a goodly number of our childrens toys and the GC are really getting their money's worth. My DC rarely played with Brio but we kept it - and I added to it - and it's become a great favourite with the GC! So sometimes cluttering does pay off although one friend did wonder if I ran a creche because of the amount of stuff. The GC all love coming here because they have something to play with. Heaven help us though when we downsize - if we ever do!!!!!!!!

petallus Wed 02-Oct-13 16:21:38

I've been resisting posting this because it is off the point but......

Every time I see the title of this thread I smile. It is because it reminds me of some cool clubbing music which I like which just has the words 'you blocked me on facebook' spoken every now and again, to great dramatic effect.

I think you could compose something similar using the phrase 'I gave the Star Wars toys away'

Tegan Wed 02-Oct-13 16:34:36

My children never wanted to visit my parents because there was nothing to do at their flat whereas they enjoyed being at my in laws because there were old toys of their dad's to play with; for that reason I kept everything [that and because my mum threw everything of mine away when I left home and I've never got over it].

susieb755 Wed 02-Oct-13 20:41:14

sad I jumbled the star wars, the wwF ,beanos etc! wish Id kept my Sindys !

AlieOxon Wed 02-Oct-13 21:23:46

i wish I had kept my pile of old 'Eagles'...
However they were left in the house when I went to college, and I only recently found out that my younger sister read and really appreciated them!

petallus Wed 02-Oct-13 21:26:47

I wish I'd kept my Dandy and Beano comics from the 40s/50s.

broomsticks Thu 03-Oct-13 17:51:03

I gave away all my '70s clothes too. Thigh length pretend snakeskin boots. Actually I think it's probably just as well I did come to think of it.

AlieOxon Thu 03-Oct-13 21:31:54

i still have my fancy dress outfit from the 80s - as 60s hippy - won a bottle of champagne!

(The spell check here suggested 'hippo' for 'hippy'.....wasn't true then!)

vegasmags Fri 04-Oct-13 00:03:30

My mum, I think, chucked out my wonderful childhood collection of Classics Illustrated, which are now worth a fortune. I kept some of my children's books, Lego, wooden building blocks and Hornby trains all of which have been enjoyed by visiting kids.

storynanny Sun 06-Oct-13 19:08:14

I could start another thread here about the bargains ive found on ebay or in charity shops when I started rebuying bits for my partners grandson 3 years ago! Ive got some poor childs precious fisher price toys, action men etc. Even some rare fisher price toys that I bought second hand 30 years ago have made their way back into my lounge like they've never been away!

storynanny Sun 06-Oct-13 19:09:37

...never seen any original star wars though.

broomsticks Sat 12-Oct-13 15:47:10

Classics Illustrated were brilliant - I remember then as being brilliant anyway - maybe they wouldn't seem that way now. I suppose my mother must have chucked my collection too.

Tegan Sat 12-Oct-13 20:37:35

I've been trying to buy Harry Potter figures for my grandson but they now seem to be collectors items. I pointed out at Toys'r'Us that each generation rediscovers Harry Potter so there will always be a market for them but to no avail [we have been able to find some on ebay, though].

jeanie99 Sat 02-Nov-13 01:19:44

When my son and daughter stopped playing with their good toys I packed them away just in case we had grandchildren.
My son loved his Star War vehicles and figures and I have them still in their original boxes in the loft. He married this year so they may get used one day again.
We have a train set and scale extrix and boxes of lego, cars etc.
I have cindy dolls and two collections of free Westminster bank Pig family I don't remember all the things we have but there up in the loft awaiting somewhat eager to open the boxes and the delights they will bring once again.
We became grandparents this month for the first time so they may all get used once more.

broomsticks Sun 03-Nov-13 17:48:48

Keep hanging on to them Jeanie. I wish I had envy