Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I gave away the Star Wars toys

(46 Posts)
broomsticks Mon 30-Sep-13 22:07:36

Has anyone else done anything as daft as that. My sons had the lot and they are worth a fortune now. Worse than that my grandson adores anything to do with Star Wars now.
blush

Bez Mon 30-Sep-13 22:13:43

My son still goes on about the box of comics he had and that went out in a fit of de cluttering - judge Dredd I think - and which are now worth a fortune - he had number 1 which he tells me is worth even more.

Enviousamerican Mon 30-Sep-13 22:14:54

Just one more thing to kick ourselves over! How were we to know? Besides we had to make room someway so they could safely walk to their beds! grin

Tegan Mon 30-Sep-13 22:31:07

I've got loads of Dandy and Beano comics but they're not all that old [@20 years]. Did keep the Star Wars figures but not the boxes and they're not the earliest ones. The grandsons are mad about Star Wars.

glassortwo Mon 30-Sep-13 22:38:27

Mountains of DS Lego, I could have cried when DGS 1 started asking for Lego. sad

storynanny Mon 30-Sep-13 22:38:54

Yes. Me too, i sold a huge box at a car boot sale many years ago for £2. Ive never been allowed to forget it!

harrigran Mon 30-Sep-13 23:10:17

DS had all the cult comics from issue 1, they went to the tip and he spent ages rebuying them on the internet at vast expense.
I kept all the lego, train sets and racing car sets and guess what ? I got two GDs grin

glammanana Mon 30-Sep-13 23:36:30

DS1 has kept his millenium falcon space ship said to be worth a few £s now and just a few of the figures, but I did "donate" all his Fisher Price stuff including large "Snoopy Dog" to the local playcentre then 2 yrs later along came the surprise called DS2.shock

Jendurham Mon 30-Sep-13 23:48:47

I had a few pangs a couple of weeks ago when my son and his partner started selling things like the Brio train sets on ebay. However, their house is nowhere near as big as our house was when the grandchildren played with them, and they got enough money for the kids to buy some games that they wanted now.
We've still got masses of Lego between us - his partner is Danish!
Harrigran, I have 3 granddaughters, and they all have Lego. Even the 20 year old will not let anyone throw away her Lego. Still have the Lego train sets.

absent Tue 01-Oct-13 06:02:14

A complete set of mint condition Sex Pistols LPs – including Never Mind the B******s – went with a smiling scout to a jumble sale. The mum of one of the members was my daily. He, later, worked on rewiring my house – trained electrician – when they were broke and in dispute with their manager.

Humbertbear Tue 01-Oct-13 07:45:24

In the late fifties my mother threw out a large doll that had been given to me by my great-aunt. She bought it for me before she escaped from East Germany. It had long hair in plaits and was in Bavarian national costume. I think it would be worth a lot of money now.
However we have all done similar things. But i did keep my children's wee less and all the Fisher Price Adventure People

Bez Tue 01-Oct-13 07:53:21

I did keep the Lego and it has been greatly augmented and is still in use and I also kept a lovely wooden cowboy type fort - all the DGC have played with that including the cowboys and Indians lovingly painted some thirty odd years ago by DS.

Lilygran Tue 01-Oct-13 10:25:47

I gave away all the Lego AND the Star Wars figures blush

Lilygran Tue 01-Oct-13 10:27:22

And it sometimes still comes up in conversation 20 years later. My mother threw away my Steiff teddy.

janerowena Tue 01-Oct-13 11:32:11

My DH is still very bitter about the disappearance of his Lego, his hornby trainset and his still-boxed vast collection of collector's item dinky cars. He wanted them for our son, and blamed his mother who used to take his toys to her school where she would use them to keep the children quiet at the end of term. She said that she was pretty sure that she used to bring them all home afterwards. He made so much fuss about it for so many years that his brother has only just owned up that he sold them all while at University when he was broke. Things were a bit frosty between them for a couple of years after that!

JessM Tue 01-Oct-13 12:12:50

It's so common, it seems, for young people to leave their parental home but to expect that the parents will keep on giving house room to whatever they have left behind. Even unto their thirties and forties forsooth!
Sometimes there is an ongoing "excuse" that they are living in a very small space, but other times they just can't be bothered to give house room to childhood possessions or to devote time to sorting them out. Not fair on parents I contend.
I never expected my mother to look after my stuff once I had left home? Is is a generation thing?

Maggiemaybe Tue 01-Oct-13 12:39:26

My dad was born in 1915 and his older sister's boyfriend, later husband, bought him the Richmal Crompton William books as they were published. I loved them as a child and so did my children. They had to read the paperbacks I bought later though, as my mother gave all the first editions away when we were moving.

But, oh, Lilygran, a Steiff teddy?! shock

janerowena Tue 01-Oct-13 12:48:39

No, I have several older male friends who at a dinner party many, many years ago were shocked to discover that their possessions had been disposed of without them having been asked. I was shocked at the time, we were at least informed and asked to collect what we wanted when we left home in my family, but it was done in a rush and we had to make snap and sometimes unwise decisions. My youngest is 18 and he says that even now there are families who don't want their children to return home from university and are already disposing of theor possessions, it has really upset him (and them) as of course they have nowhere to store them. You would think they would be given the chance to at least store them in the loft or garage. I moved my daughter's possessions around from house to house for five years and then every time she came to visit I gave her a box to take back to sort out. I kept the best until last, so that now she has some lovely things for my GCs to keep and play with.

My son has only just started uni so I am carefully going through his possessions and sorting and tidying them. I am making up boxes for charity shops of things I know he doesn't want, some things that the GCs would like to play with now, but all the things like Brio and Lego and trains and stuff are being kept, along with his good books. Elderly joke books and stocking fillers will be disposed of. I think he is quite relieved that I am doing it, because he didn't know where to start and he knows that he would regret it if he threw stuff away in a hurry.

broomsticks Tue 01-Oct-13 17:23:33

I did keep the lego but not the instructions so it's not much use. I also get the odd pointed comment about the Star Wars toys. I feel a mission to try and buy them for the grandson now. It must be guilt. Or maybe nostalgia grin

Bez Tue 01-Oct-13 17:35:01

I still have a very small box of treasures that belong to my DS - his boys look through the box when they visit and sometimes take things with them - the last time it was a Thunderbird toy they were all delighted to find.

annodomini Tue 01-Oct-13 17:41:01

There's no problem with Lego without instructions - it's limited only by the child's imagination. My GC make the models as instructed then throw the pieces in with their already vast collection of blocks.

JessM Tue 01-Oct-13 18:34:36

Tell them to sod off broomsticks - not fair to give out to ma over trivia after all the effort you put in to bringing the so and so's up.
Just reminded me that there is an academic book here that we could sell on ebay, abandoned by DS2 in one of those boomerang sessions.

broomsticks Tue 01-Oct-13 18:50:27

I wonder if my childhood cowboys and indians will be valuable one day. Maybe they already are but I have a sentimental attachment. No-one plays cowboys and native Americans now anyway. I kept them grin

JessM Tue 01-Oct-13 19:15:31

At least you didn't expect anyone else to look after them!

Judthepud2 Tue 01-Oct-13 22:17:28

Me too Broomsticks! DS had all the space ships and many of the figures. I gave them away to the school fete when he lost interest as a teenager. He reminds me of this every time he comes home ��

We kept all the Lego though and DGS love playing with it. No instructions needed.

Anybody remember the Big Yellow Teapot? I really wish I had kept this for GDs. My daughters loved theirs.