(49 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 14-Dec-13 15:22:04

.... Western world who hasn't yet started her Xmas shopping? tchsmile

I feel such a failure! tchgrin

Nonu Sat 14-Dec-13 15:30:57

There is a strong possibility !!
tchwink tchwink

ginny Sat 14-Dec-13 16:59:39

Possibly, but if you are like me, it will all get done. I can do 10 times more in the last few days than I ever manage in the weeks before.

Soutra Sat 14-Dec-13 17:04:02

You will also possibly spend a fraction of what others have spent who did their shopping before the shops started slashing prices! tchgrin

posie Sat 14-Dec-13 17:11:08

I would be feeling a bit panicky if I hadn't got most of the presents sorted by now. tchshock
I left it later last year then found that a lot of toys were out of stock.

ninathenana Sat 14-Dec-13 17:57:15

tchshock tchshock
I always start early to spread the cost.
As posie says things may be out of stock. I remember feeling very smug the year Buzz Lightyear figures were the thing to have for children. Parents going frantic to get one for little Jonny. I'd had one sitting in the loft since the October. tchwink

FlicketyB Sat 14-Dec-13 18:00:38

Part of having a relaxed Christmas (for me) is getting all the presents sorted in November, preferably online so that I do not have to go near any shops or shopping centres in the run up to Christmas (usual weekly food shop excepted).

merlotgran Sat 14-Dec-13 18:00:55

I was one of those frantic women, nina,DGS1 told me he wanted a 'Talky Buzzyear' It took me a while to work out what he wanted. tchhmm

Gagagran Sat 14-Dec-13 18:05:22

That's what I do too Flickety but then I forget what I've got squirreled away and start to think maybe I should get just another little things for each of them! So THAT'S why I need lists!

annodomini Sat 14-Dec-13 18:08:32

For the first time ever I have bought all the presents a fortnight before Christmas. I keep on wondering who I could have forgotten. Mind you, I still need to write the cards.

Bellasnana Sat 14-Dec-13 18:14:45

No you are not, Riverwalk! Every year I promise myself I will get started early but haven't managed it yet. It would be a lot easier if knew what people want, but nobody seems to give any hints. It's the bit I find most stressful, to be honest. Thought I had been very clever finding suitable gifts for DD3 and DS on amazon but when I went to check out they said they don't deliver these items to Malta. Back to the drawing board for me sad

rosesarered Sat 14-Dec-13 18:17:30

FlicketyB I am the same as you, I have to have things sorted fairly early or I get a bit edgy.Possibly this is all a character type thing, and the more laid back you are the later you can afford to leave it all.tchsmile

Nonu Sat 14-Dec-13 18:53:32

We do secret santa in our house .
it makes life so very much easier for all concerned .
Would not have it any other way .
tchsmile

Ana Sat 14-Dec-13 18:59:50

Even for the GC, Nonu? I did actually order my GC's main present online last month because I was worried about stock levels, but that's all the Christmas shopping I've done.

Oh! I did buy a packet of frozen prawns today...tchgrin

Nonu Sat 14-Dec-13 19:10:18

Oh no ! they are special , VERY special.

Frozen prawns eh ? funny you say that !
Did you like all Mums , go to Iceland ?
have a glass of wine with me !! X

Ana Sat 14-Dec-13 19:25:44

Nonu - you have guessed my guilty secret...tchblush

Cheers! wine

Ariadne Sat 14-Dec-13 19:53:13

Did you really go to Iceland, Ana? The shop, I mean? Haven't been to one for a long, long time. Worth a visit?

Galen Sat 14-Dec-13 20:10:03

The blue lagoon makes it worth the visit!1tchgrin]

FlicketyB Sat 14-Dec-13 20:27:27

It does indeed. We intend to go to Iceland and spend the whole visit there tchgrin.

As for lists....I have them for everything. I have a whole computer folder devoted to Christmas lists. There is THE PLAN, updated and tweeked every year. The Christmas card label file, the present archive so I do not give the same thing two years running etc. If there was a degree in list making I would have a PhD.

janerowena Sat 14-Dec-13 20:43:44

Oh good lord... I haven't even finished writing my cards yet! I have bought a few presents over the past year but now can't find them... I did post off a few last week, but for all the rest I am hitting the shops on Monday.

Ana Sat 14-Dec-13 21:10:07

Ariadne, I did indeed go to Iceland (the shop!). It's the only food shop in our local retail park, and while I was waiting for DH to finish browsing around Halfords I had a look. Felt a bit guilty walking out without buying anything, so I picked up the prawns.

I used to shop there quite a lot 20 or so years ago, but tend to buy any frozen food I need in Asda or Tesco. There isn't a Sainsbury's, Waitrose or any of those posh stores anywhere near us! tchgrin

Lona Sat 14-Dec-13 21:54:26

In the dreaded DM this week, was a comparison between Iceland, Tesco, Waitrose, M&S etc. and Iceland came out of it very well indeed!

Ana Sat 14-Dec-13 22:01:21

But surely only for frozen food, Lona? They don't do much in the way of non-frozen, at least in the ones round here...

annodomini Sat 14-Dec-13 22:05:11

The Iceland shop that used to be fairly close to me has long since been supplanted by M&S Simply Food. Does that say something about the local demographic?

Nonu Sat 14-Dec-13 22:22:37

Malcom would be very , very pleased that his store is being discussed on G/N . more power to his elbow .