Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

When do you take yours down?

(106 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 01-Jan-14 19:20:31

Evening all, all good wishes for the year etc.

Just wondering when you feel it is right/appropriate to take the decorations down?

Yes, I know it seems only a moment ago that I was asking for your support re actually putting any up, we did, and jolly festive (and of course tasteful!) they looked too!

Now, I know it is considered bad luck to leave them up beyond twelfth night, but what about doing it earlier than that?

I'm not prone to superstition, but could really do with all the luck in the world for the coming months, if not the year.

Many thanks!

Gagagran Thu 02-Jan-14 15:50:46

Taken mine down too - suddenly got the urge because the sun was showing up all the dust and I just had to dust and vac up - so got the troop(s) organised and we've restored order. Looks a bit plain now - I miss the twinkles!

Marelli Thu 02-Jan-14 15:53:19

Have a lovely wee break, baubles! I finished off the Pringles and then had a sensible bowl of lentil soup. There's roast beef for dinner and the potatoes and veg are peeled .....why then am I dithering over having a large bit of Christmas cake first, or having a quick rootle in the Roses tin.....? blush

janerowena Thu 02-Jan-14 15:59:19

DBH&Son have obviously decided to 'clear up' all the chocolates. angry I found the empty boxes in the recycling this morning, one box I hadn't even had a single chocolate from! Cakes and stollen are not far behind, I have hidden three small lebkuchen. grin

Anne58 Thu 02-Jan-14 16:01:20

No festive food left at all, mores the pity!

I don't put a lot up in the way of decorations, just the tree and cards in the sitting room, and lights around the hall mirror and the large fake plant that gets moved into the hall to make room for the tree in the sitting room. I always think the hall looks really lovely, very large mahogany chest of drawers with antique mahogany framed mirror above, tiffany lamp in shades of burgundy on the chest, rug on the floor in toning colours. The plain fairy lights make it look so pretty, I'm always said when it goes back to "normal" as it looks so welcoming as you come in, or pass through on the way to the kitchen.

Somehow I don't miss the tree in the sitting room so much, as it is in a corner behind us, rather than facing it when sitting on the sofa. (That probably makes no sense at all!)

rockgran Thu 02-Jan-14 16:54:37

I got rid of the cards (I will recycle them into something useful) as they look depressing when they fall over but I love our little tree with its cheery lights after dark. I also have a couple of candles I'm still using up. After Sunday I won't want to see the slightest hint of tinsel.

sunseeker Thu 02-Jan-14 17:00:53

All mine are now packed away - sadly I broke a glass bauble that DH and I bought our first Christmas after we were married 43 years ago - still have 5 of those left though!

jinglbellrocks Thu 02-Jan-14 17:02:43

While I've been out, dd has been making meringues which she intends to fill with a leftover pot of whipping cream! shock How will those fit in with post Christmas eating?!

baubles Thu 02-Jan-14 17:59:59

Nonu not terribly far away just an extremely nice hotel in Perthshire for one night and a less posh hotel beside Loch Lomond for the second night.

I will enjoy it Marelli thanks smile

Why not keep some fairy lights Phoenix ? I'm very fond of fairy lights at any time.

Nonu Thu 02-Jan-14 18:09:46

That sounds ideal to me Baubles , sometimes it is nice not to go too far.
The change of scene is pleasant, plus I love staying in hotels .
I like that idea for * phoenix * sometimes just subtle lighting around a focal point can "Lift" things . I have half a notion to do something along those lines myself !
smile

Anne58 Thu 02-Jan-14 18:10:11

I am tempted baubles, but not sure. I'll see how it goes over the next couple of days!

Do have a lovely break, I hope you don't get too much rain. The cold is ok, but rain is not!

Mishap Thu 02-Jan-14 19:07:48

Oh - the Christmas decorations! I was wondering what I was meant to be taking down!

Grannylin Thu 02-Jan-14 19:48:29

They've all finally gone! thank heavens, boohoo.Binned the cards,thrown the cake to the chickens, downed half a bottle of wine grin

hummingbird Thu 02-Jan-14 20:29:58

Mishap! blush

rockgran Fri 03-Jan-14 12:15:37

They've all gone this morning- couldn't stand the sun shining on the dust a minute longer. I see the Christmassy emoticons have gone too! sunshine

jinglbellrocks Fri 03-Jan-14 12:22:28

No sun here. Just hail! I still need my lights!

jinglbellrocks Fri 03-Jan-14 12:23:19

And I have fallen completely in love with this Christmas tree!

thatbags Fri 03-Jan-14 12:35:08

Did anyone else have decorations up for as short a time as I did? Branch of lichen-loaded fallen cherry decorated on Xmas eve. Decs taken off it Boxing Day. Branch is still in situ but will use it for firewood soon.

thatbags Fri 03-Jan-14 12:35:35

No lights. I hate flashing lights.

thatbags Fri 03-Jan-14 12:36:44

Minibags has some lights in her room on a mini tree. I expect she'll tidy them up by next autumn.

jinglbellrocks Fri 03-Jan-14 12:44:56

Mine don't flash! Never!

Hello Bags. Your way is very old-traditional. Decorate Xmas Eve, take it down Boxing Day. Thinking Allison Uttley.

jinglbellrocks Fri 03-Jan-14 12:46:04

Does cherry smell as good as apple?

Tegan Fri 03-Jan-14 12:55:31

And Lucy and Tom's Christmas. I've always wanted to decorate the tree on Christmas Eve like they do in the book but I'm so disorganised there would be a danger of me not getting round to doing it.

Tegan Fri 03-Jan-14 12:57:29

I think Lucy and Tom's Christmas is to blame for the fact that my Christmas is never quite as perfect as I want it to be sad.

thatbags Fri 03-Jan-14 12:59:24

Bags goes to google Allison Uttley.... (whot he heck?)

At my parent's house, the tree was brought in and decorated on Xmas Eve and everything taken down on the twelfth day of xmas – 6 Jan (Epiphany).

thatbags Fri 03-Jan-14 12:59:41

or Who the heck, even.