Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Northumberland

(57 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 16-Jan-14 10:29:39

I have an American friend who is visiting the UK mid-April - she'll be based in Newcastle.

"Northumberland, is that near you?" she asked me before checking a map! Mind, 300 miles isn't a great distance for an American.

Anyway, I'm trying to plan - she'll start off in London staying with me for a few days. I know Newcastle itself will have lots for us to see and do but what about the surrounding areas - NE grans, any ideas on places of particular interest?

gillybob Sat 01-Feb-14 08:39:18

You really can't miss Newcastle River all the trains cross over the Tyne and the view of the magnificent bridges is your cue to get up ! smile

Nelliemoser Sat 01-Feb-14 09:06:04

Senior rail cards give about a third off rail prices, so with a long journey it might be worth the £30ish or so your local authority or other provider might charge.

Riverwalk Sat 01-Feb-14 09:43:43

I'm not yet eligible for a senior railcard and my friend is American so don't know if she'd get any sort of senior discount - I'm investigating!

Stansgran Sun 02-Feb-14 20:40:06

Grand central are useful but go to Sunderland so you'd have to change .

Riverwalk Thu 10-Apr-14 13:47:21

Well my friend is here in London and we've had a great time the past two days, and been blessed with bright sunshine sunshine

Yesterday was spent doing a looooong walk taking in the usual sights .... Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, Millennium Wheel, etc. Tonight off to see War Horse.

On Sunday she's heading to Northumberland (unfortunately because of work I'm unable to go) staying in a lovely B&B on a farm for a few days, then meeting some US friends in Newcastle city centre. I've collated all the suggestions everyone kindly gave - I'm sure she'll have a great time.

As for the train fares: I managed to book tickets for £27.95 London to Newcastle, and £38.70 for her return from Edinburgh to London - so much cheaper than originally feared!

So far so good smile

TriciaF Thu 10-Apr-14 20:20:06

Thanks for the update, and I'm sure your friend will have a lovely time up North. Northumbrians are very hospitable, wish I was there too.