Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Terms of endearment for grandchildren?

(66 Posts)
MamaCaz Sun 16-Feb-14 15:34:30

I was wondering what terms of endearment, if any, you use with your grandchildren.

Over the last two and a half years I have tried out one or two when talking to DGS, but nothing really felt right. Recently, I have got into the habit of using 'pet', simply because I couldn't think of anything better. However, DiL has now commented on it, saying how 'northern' it is. She is probably right, given that I am originally from Yorkshire, though I don't remember it ever being used in my family as a child. Just to make it clear, this wasn't said in a nasty or critical way, just as a matter of fact, but it has still made me think twice about whether to continue using it or not. Any suggestions? grin

seasider Wed 19-Feb-14 15:34:23

We use diminutives of their names or words like pet or sweetie or love but then again we are Northern and proud of it!

nigglynellie Wed 19-Feb-14 16:50:07

Darling for my 14 year old granddaughter, Sweet Pea for my 11 year old granddaughter and Lamb Chop for my 7 year old grandson - they all seem very happy with this - for the time being!!!!!

nog50 Sat 01-Mar-14 13:45:23

The other day I called my 3 year old GS 'Sugar Plum', which was met with a look of great disdain and to be told he 'is not a plum'! I usually call both my GS's pet or sweetheart, but then, I am from the North! wink

Galen Sat 01-Mar-14 14:22:10

First name or darling for elder DGD. The younger seems to permanently attached to mum at the moment via a sling!hmm

MiceElf Sat 01-Mar-14 14:44:04

Don't do what I did. Granny's Best Boy was fine until another one turned up. Then it had to be Granny's Best Big Boy and Granny's Best Little Boy.....then it gets increasingly complicated.

annodomini Sat 01-Mar-14 14:52:50

Darling, sweetheart, love...interchangeably.

Glassie Sat 01-Mar-14 16:40:34

My eldest GD was always called "Jodiepoo" by me, for very obvious reasons....... she's 28yrs old now and I still sometimes make mention of it in personal cards. She doesn't mind.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 01-Mar-14 17:38:15

Am I really the only person who insults their grandchildren? Maybe I would n't do it with a girl.

I can't imagine my two wanting to be called anything endearing! grin

annodomini Sat 01-Mar-14 18:06:23

You can do both, *jingl8, depending on the circumstances. And I do.

Dragonfly1 Sat 01-Mar-14 18:09:08

I use insulting names for two of mine, on a bad day. Too insulting to repeat really.

BlueBelle Sat 01-Mar-14 23:27:16

11 year old girl is Sweetpea 13 year old boy is Pumpkin my other grandkids that live away are their names or pet or darling

Joelise Sat 01-Mar-14 23:40:51

I used to call DGS grannies little lambkin when he was tiny, now he is 8, so I call him darling or sweetheart. DGD1 , I call proper little madam, & DGD2 is called pickle, as even at 18 months , is mischievous, just like DS was when little.

NfkDumpling Sun 02-Mar-14 08:38:02

Newest DGS is Pipsqueak. But I think he'll probably grow out of that.

cactus60 Sun 02-Mar-14 18:19:27

my granddaughter is called sugarlugs as I keep pretending im going to eat her sweet little ears

gratefulgran54 Mon 24-Mar-14 17:12:49

Thought I'd revive this a little due to my newest GD. I was sorely tempted to call her Wonky as she got stuck on the way out, and looked like a boxer with a squashed nose when I first saw her (2 hours old)...it was the first name that popped into my head! It has straightened out now (her nose, not my head...that'll never be right smile), but it is still very tempting...maybe to myself eh? grin
But I decided to be kinder than that, and have waited to see what she's like....she has become Spike, as she has the best natural mohican I have seen on a 3 week old baby. Her Daddy was the same (DS3) and was called Sparky for years...he is now known to all his friends and work colleagues as Wingnut, due to his prominent ears.......we do collect some strange names in our family smile
It's extended further, as my cousins daughter was, and always will be FartyBum to me...every time I held her, she'd trump for England.
She's 19 now, and still refers to herself as that if she phones or txts, and she calls me Aunty Farty in return.