Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's your indulgence?

(45 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 05-Mar-14 13:39:30

I'm in much need of some maintenance so later today am having an eyebrow wax and pedicure - sure to perk me up smile

I coloured my hair myself this morning, plus ate leftovers for lunch, so being a bit frugal ..... but a girl has to have some pampering!

GillT57 Wed 05-Mar-14 13:53:13

My indulgence is a manicure every month. I have the gel nail polish which lasts a month and keeps my hands neat and manicured. I have always hated chewed or dirty nails. And yes, I do scrub my oven and do the garden, but the polish stands up to it! My hair is like a rats nest at times,shock but my nails are clean, trimmed and polished.

glammanana Wed 05-Mar-14 15:45:49

Nails done every 5/6 wks and pedicure no need for hairdresser as hair just trimmed every 6mths as it is waist length and just tied back in a pony so no expence there,I do enjoy fab smelling bath products and treat myself to soap & glory when ever it is on offer (my present to me)

BAnanas Wed 05-Mar-14 16:03:21

Lowlights, cut and blow dry every 3 months, it's expensive but I can't do it myself so you have to pay for the expertise of a professional hairdresser. Can do my own roots, with the help of husband he does the back. Recently discovered a wonderful product for touching up roots called "Colour Wow", like block mascara just brush it on, no mess, stays on until you wash it out.

mollie Wed 05-Mar-14 16:25:50

My indulgence is/are the books I buy each month from Amazon, the small handful of magazines that go in the shopping trolley at the supermarket and the lovely notebooks I buy for all my scribblings. I have a feeling that I may be adding fabric to that collection shortly...

AlieOxon Wed 05-Mar-14 16:41:09

I buy plants.....

annodomini Wed 05-Mar-14 16:44:46

Definitely books, mostly for the Kindle nowadays.

ninathenana Wed 05-Mar-14 16:48:29

Books, books and more books. Kindle or printed.

grannyactivist Wed 05-Mar-14 16:57:37

Flowers are my extravagance. I have vases in the sitting room, hall, dining room, kitchen and my bedroom. I don't usually buy expensive ones or bouquets, just a few bunches bought from Waitrose (Fairtrade) or my local greengrocer transforms the house.

GillT57 Wed 05-Mar-14 17:00:14

and books...........cant resist a book shop, love the smell.......

Nonnie Wed 05-Mar-14 17:26:24

Theatre and more theatre, books, shoes, good face creams......... oh dear, I'm much worse than any of you!

petra Wed 05-Mar-14 17:34:30

Massage once a month.

Ceesnan Wed 05-Mar-14 17:44:24

Green and Black's chocolate. One bar, once a month.

BAnanas Wed 05-Mar-14 18:19:02

Books, forgot those, I'm always buying new ones but do take them to charity shops if they haven't been a particularly good read.

tiggypiro Wed 05-Mar-14 18:34:02

I have little interest in most of all your indulgencies. Instead I save up and fly business class whenever I go long haul.
I must admit that if money really did grow on trees in my garden then I would employ a masseur to be at my beck and call. About 10 years ago I could have an hours massage for about £1 in Hainan (China). Unfortunately that is no longer the case!

merlotgran Wed 05-Mar-14 18:38:52

Like AlieOxon, I buy plants. Far too many of them.

Nonu Wed 05-Mar-14 18:47:37

Thats right Tiggy , you tell "em , !!!
For me however, I find it quite interesting to hear of others indulgences !
I haven't any great indulgences myself , think my life is one great indulgence !
smile

Galen Wed 05-Mar-14 19:18:14

CRuises and pearls

DebnCreme Wed 05-Mar-14 19:25:12

Handbags!

tiggypiro Wed 05-Mar-14 19:30:04

Oh Nonu I didn't mean that I wasn't interested in what others had to say, only that I had no interest in the indulgencies for me personally.
Apologies if it came over all wrong !

Nonu Wed 05-Mar-14 19:32:38

Tiggy.
((HUG))

kittylester Wed 05-Mar-14 19:40:11

My highlights and a pedicure!

Culag Wed 05-Mar-14 19:48:13

I have my hair cut and roots done every six weeks, but I am going to look into this hair 'mascara' which has been talked about. And recently I treated my self to a silver ring with a large labradorite stone in it for surviving so long after the death of OH.

Aka Wed 05-Mar-14 19:48:27

Me too Kitty

Gally Wed 05-Mar-14 20:05:53

Wine, fresh flowers every week, good haircut every 6 weeks or so and chairs confused (don't ask)