Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Nominate the best older person’s character

(128 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Jun-14 12:15:48

Following the success of The Older People in the Media Awards last year, we're delighted to be involved again this year.

As last year, there will be a special Gransnet award for the best older person's character in a film, TV or radio drama, chosen by gransnetters. (Last year, Anne Reid won for her role as Celia in Last Tango in Halifax). As last year, the character must have first appeared in the media between Thursday 15 August 2013 and Thursday 14 August 2014.

Full details on the page. You can also vote on all the other categories on the Independent Age website.

This is a really good way of generating discussion and shining a light on coverage that has either positively portrayed older people, or sensitively highlighted the issues they face.

Suggest nominations here. We'll have a chance to vote on a shortlist after the summer.

Nominations are now closed - thank you to everyone who has given their suggestions!

rubylady Sun 17-Aug-14 03:01:17

For me it has to be Timothy West playing Stan Carter in Eastenders.

A lovely man and he has fitted into the role fantastically well, very dry sense of humour too. As an older "thesp" he has taken to it like a duck to water and advocates for older actors to be given roles on television.

Just for the one line this week, he has to be considered. When Linda was shouting and stressing out, he told the family with a deadpan face - "She has the decorators in." And they say Eastenders isn't funny.

A true gent and very fine actor indeed.

rosesarered Sun 17-Aug-14 16:44:48

I would also nominate the character Fred Thursday [Roger Allam] in Endeavor [the young Morse.]he certainly does scene steal as val says.
he is kind, tolerant , a family man and understanding and brave.

goldengirl Sun 17-Aug-14 16:55:45

Alison Steadman?

mcem Sun 17-Aug-14 17:56:59

If she's eligible then I vote for Sarah Lancashire in Happy Valley. She should be eligible as her character IS a gran!

Eloethan Sun 17-Aug-14 23:24:33

I'd go for Roger Allam too. I think he's brilliant in Endeavour and I love his voice (even in Sarah & Duck).

EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Aug-14 11:57:04

Thank you all for your nominations, the voting has now closed. We will pass all of the nominations to the Awards organisers and all the votes will be counted and the results announced in due course.

We'll let you know when the winners have been chosen, so watch this space!

Best,

GNHQ

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 16-Sep-14 19:40:18

And here we have it - your shortlist of nominees for the Older People in the Media Awards...drum roll please...

- Sarah Lancashire for Catherine Cawood in Happy Valley
- Roger Allam for Fred Thursday in Endeavour
- Judi Dench for Philomena
- Stephen Rea for Sir Hugh Hayden-Hoyle in The Honourable Woman
- Timothy West for Stan Carter in EastEnders

Now it's time to whittle the shortlist down to one victorious thesp. Vote for your favourite actor from the shortlist by noon on 9 October and we'll announce the winner shortly after.

rubylady Tue 16-Sep-14 23:20:43

Yeah, my nomination got through. Well done Timothy. (I cannot call the wonderful Timothy West Tim, it's just not right.) I do love Sarah Lancashire, I think she is a fantastic actress, but she has a lot of time yet to win awards in the Older People category. smile

Judthepud2 Wed 17-Sep-14 20:14:25

Has to be Judy Dench! Best older actor around!

Starling Wed 17-Sep-14 20:28:23

I like Judi Dench.

Jaxie Fri 19-Sep-14 13:20:28

Roger Allam gets my vote. I can totally suspend disbelief when he is in any drama.

annodomini Fri 19-Sep-14 13:46:06

Judi Dench. Such a moving performance in Philomena.

ChrissyW Fri 19-Sep-14 13:46:52

Judi Dench every time...who wouldn't want to be 'M'?!

Indigoblue Fri 19-Sep-14 13:47:38

It's got to be Judi Dench - please. She's a role model and an inspiration.

hildajenniJ Fri 19-Sep-14 14:37:11

How about James Bolam as Grandpa in my Pocket. I don't know if there's a new series but DGD loves it.

whenim64 Fri 19-Sep-14 14:39:57

Judith Dench for me. I love Sarah Lancashire, but I wouldn't call her her an older person just yet.

Littlebear47 Fri 19-Sep-14 14:42:17

Roger Allam (for everything he's ever done!)

Marmight Fri 19-Sep-14 15:10:55

Roger Allam

stoogo Fri 19-Sep-14 15:13:15

Stephen Rea for a nuanced and sensitive performance by an under-rated actor

margk Fri 19-Sep-14 15:26:38

Definitely Judi Dench

adrisco Fri 19-Sep-14 15:54:06

Sarah Lancashire .. for Happy Valley .. but also brilliant in "Last Tango in Halifax" and "The Paradise" .. definitely my favourite actress.

Shelby Fri 19-Sep-14 15:55:15

Judi Dench for me - her screen presence is fantastic!

durhamjen Fri 19-Sep-14 15:59:36

Sarah Lancashire gets my vote.

shysal Fri 19-Sep-14 16:11:41

Judi Dench

guys395 Fri 19-Sep-14 16:12:52

Judi Dench