Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Nominate the best older person’s character

(128 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Jun-14 12:15:48

Following the success of The Older People in the Media Awards last year, we're delighted to be involved again this year.

As last year, there will be a special Gransnet award for the best older person's character in a film, TV or radio drama, chosen by gransnetters. (Last year, Anne Reid won for her role as Celia in Last Tango in Halifax). As last year, the character must have first appeared in the media between Thursday 15 August 2013 and Thursday 14 August 2014.

Full details on the page. You can also vote on all the other categories on the Independent Age website.

This is a really good way of generating discussion and shining a light on coverage that has either positively portrayed older people, or sensitively highlighted the issues they face.

Suggest nominations here. We'll have a chance to vote on a shortlist after the summer.

Nominations are now closed - thank you to everyone who has given their suggestions!

Aka Wed 11-Jun-14 18:59:38

But, we're not nominating actors or actresses. It's the CHARACTER that's up for nomination.

Ana Wed 11-Jun-14 19:03:25

Yes Aka, but to quote from the OP 'Last year, Anne Reid won for her role as Celia in Last Tango in Halifax. So it would appear to be both...

KatyK Wed 11-Jun-14 19:04:15

Oh, OK. I did love Philomena's character and I love Jack Taylor's character, although I suspect not many people watch Jack. As I recall, Anne Reid was not too chuffed to win.

Ana Wed 11-Jun-14 19:21:00

Ooh, yes! I remember that now - ungrateful so and so! grin

KatyK Wed 11-Jun-14 19:27:09

Agreed!

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Jun-14 20:26:46

I can't think of any recent character! June and Leon from Gogglebox come to mind, but they're real....

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Jun-14 20:27:55

And my googling skills tell me that they first appeared on TV last March, so are doubly disqualified. I still love them.

goldengirl Wed 11-Jun-14 20:33:21

Bill Nighy. I find his rather dour manner rather sexy

janerowena Thu 12-Jun-14 11:09:35

I agree with HildaW's choice of Krister Henriksson. He makes a wonderful Wallander.

I also rather liked Michael Gambon in Quirke.

whenim64 Thu 12-Jun-14 11:53:48

Roy Cropper, played by David Neilsen in Corrie. His character is mellowing and he seems to be getting to be more at home in his own skin, if you see what I mean? The way this character has dealt with his own shortcomings, the death of his wife, and his relationship with both parents, has been fascinating to watch....and now he's become a concerned friend for Carla as she comes to terms with the devastation surrounding her. I think Roy's a lovely character.

annodomini Thu 12-Jun-14 12:41:51

But he made his first appearance long before the starting date for this nomination.

whenim64 Thu 12-Jun-14 12:45:35

Oh, b****r grin

ninathenana Thu 12-Jun-14 13:58:25

Too many restrictions gggrrr!!

Eloethan Thu 12-Jun-14 14:58:56

I like the character of Roy Cropper too. It makes such a nice change to see a humane, thoughtful and thoroughly decent person in a soap. Also I like the way his eccentricity, rather than being sneered at, seems to be accepted by other characters.

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 15:39:21

But he made his first appearance long before the starting date for this nomination.

Is it 'best newcomer' then?

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 15:40:26

I'll give a vote for Roy Cropper as well (both him and the chap that plays him), a lovely character - he might be odd but he would always be in your corner if he considered you a friend.

annodomini Thu 12-Jun-14 16:42:17

The specification is in the OP, HollyDaze.

the character must have first appeared in the media between Thursday 15 August 2013 and Thursday 14 August 2014.

Ana Thu 12-Jun-14 16:45:51

Thank you, anno. I didn't want to have to be the one to point that out yet again!

annodomini Thu 12-Jun-14 16:59:07

It may not be the last time, Ana!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 13-Jun-14 18:08:42

Old, old, old! hmm

Is old all we are supposed to think about? hmm again

Ana Fri 13-Jun-14 18:34:01

I think Gransnetters are getting 'older'. Perhaps not in years, but in their resigned, 'I am old/fat/ill/blame everything on the government' attitude. I'm sure it didn't used to be like this...hmm

Eloethan Fri 13-Jun-14 20:42:39

I would have thought that those who are interested in politics and are prepared to state what they believe cannot at the same time be described as "resigned".

I am very unhappy with what is happening in Britain today and campaign for the People's Assembly. Does that make me - and others like me - miserable old codgers? I don't think so. I look after my grandson two days a week, go into a school as a voluntary helper twice a week and give practical support to my mum on a regular basis.

As a matter of interest, what was Gransnet like in the "good old days"?

Ana Fri 13-Jun-14 20:46:26

Well, I see you joined in 2012 as did I, Eleothan. So you must know.

Eloethan Fri 13-Jun-14 21:48:36

Well, as far as I can see Gransnet is more or less the same as in 2012. What is it that you think has changed?

Ana Fri 13-Jun-14 22:03:17

I've already said. Nothing more to add.