Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fathers Day [and Grandfathers Day]

(42 Posts)
rosesarered Fri 13-Jun-14 21:26:37

Do all your DH's get given gardening gloves for Fathers Day?My DH must have about a dozen pairs!

geeljay Sun 15-Jun-14 15:39:41

Had a lovely Fathers day. Son phoned from Oz, then another son brought us a Devon Cream Tea and a bottle of Shiraz, put by for supper. Daughter has invited us to join her and our twin g/grandaughters for Roast beef dinner. Another son coming later. Such a lucky s o a g!. Not a single card, I am pleased to say.

Penstemmon Sun 15-Jun-14 15:54:01

We have spent part of the day looking after the DGDs, one of whom is under the weather. Their daddy had to work today and their mum (DD2) needed to finish the school reports! She gave her dad a card when he dropped them back home. I suspect DD1 will pop in later!

papaoscar Sun 15-Jun-14 16:20:32

Son just phoned for Father's Day. It's the small things that really count these days. They make life worth living.

janerowena Sun 15-Jun-14 17:15:31

I am just about to tear DBH away from his marking to remind him to phone his own father. I always send my stepfather something, and in his card I always thank him for taking my mother off my hands. grin

KatyK Sun 15-Jun-14 17:33:58

My granddaughter (aged 14) is in the doghouse today. She said she was going to make her dad a card and 'forgot'. She also 'forgot' to wrap the present she had for him and 'forgot' to give it to him until reminded. Oops!

Penstemmon Sun 15-Jun-14 17:59:36

As I suspected DD1 called round after a 'Dad's Lunch' at the pub..a group of friends with kids of similar ages... to bring her Dad a card and some of his favourite sweets! He is having a snooze now whilst I fiddle about here on GN. hmm

merlotgran Sun 15-Jun-14 18:40:00

We've spoiled DH rotten today. He's worked so hard to get the mobile home ready for DD and the boys to move into that I don't think he's got the strength to knock the skin off a rice pudding! Not that I'd dare give him one as he hates milk.

He worries me when he takes on too much but he'll never change.

bikergran Sun 15-Jun-14 18:53:53

Both DDs came round today with cards and money for new razor,(which last Wednesday we thought he would never be needing again)!! he managed to come down stairs in his dressing gown for most of the day, and had a call from his son,he has a had a tiring day but managed to reach yet another fathers day smile I think it's lovely when dad's get a sniff in as well and I'm sure they love! all the attention lol.

ginny Mon 16-Jun-14 09:30:49

Our 3 DDs normally take DH out for lunch and on Mothers Day they take me. This year though they provide a yummy meal at home and I was included as they didn't want to leave me on my own, having just come out of hospital after a knee replacement.

rosesarered Mon 16-Jun-14 09:54:40

There are thoughtful children and grandchildren, some not so thoughful and some that need reminding to be. Ah well, that's people for you.
My DH didn't get ANY gardening gloves this year [he was pleased about that] and liked his presents and cards.We had a meal here [BBQ] for everyone, and the day was sunny and very nice.I think Fathers need to be thought of, sometimes it seems all about the Mothers.

PRINTMISS Mon 16-Jun-14 16:04:30

I agree with you there roses, our son chose a very funny card for his dad, and some pressies, our daughter brought wine and special tea. As far as she is concerned her dad is great, although she knows all his faults, but he is still 'her' dad.

ayse Mon 16-Jun-14 16:25:30

It may be a Hallmark day but my OH received cards from his son and grandchildren and text message from his daughter for the first time ever. (He lost touch for sometime because of divorce and remade contact in 2001). He was in tears of happiness on Saturday and very touched.
To top it all my daughter (still pregnant with IVF twins (10 weeks) asked him yesterday what he wanted to be called by the hoped for new arrivals. He was bowled over.

It all meant so much to him

rosesarered Mon 16-Jun-14 16:33:11

That's a nice story Aysewhat a great Fathers Day for him then, men care as much as women, they just don't show it as much or talk about it.

bikergran Tue 17-Jun-14 11:17:10

lovely ayse smile

janerowena Tue 17-Jun-14 15:25:04

That is lovely, I thought it must be appreciated but so many men never let on.

My stepfather's son never bothers to contact him, which makes him very sad, and he has a young GS who he only saw a few times before his DS and his GF split up. When my mother remarried I started to send him cards. Two of my sisters weren't all that keen on him, but he is a lovely man, and I felt sorry for him as my mother was always saying that his son never bothered to send him anything, ever. My sisters were really annoyed with me, saying, he isn't our father. But he's the nearest thing I have to one, and as my mother can be very awkward I am eternally grateful to him for keeping her off my back! I received a lovely thank you for the card, saying that 'you have no idea how much I appreciate your thoughtfulness'. So, Hallmark day or not, it's not being forgotten that counts.

Ana Tue 17-Jun-14 16:23:39

That's lovely of you, janerowena - I know how much DH appreciates getting a card from his stepdaughter, even though they haven't always seen eye to eye!