Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

BB cream

(41 Posts)
kittylester Sat 21-Jun-14 09:15:18

Right, so following mention of BB Cream on another thread, I have invested in a Garnier one. (Half price in Tesco). I bought the anti ageing one which appears to be for people much younger than me confused

How do I use it? The box just says use as you would your regular moisturiser. Does that mean as well as, instead of, do I use a serum under it, foundation over it?

Help and advice please!

sherish Sat 21-Jun-14 09:22:30

I have a BB cream from Avon and I use my usual moisturiser before I use the tinted BB cream as I would with a foundation.

kittylester Sat 21-Jun-14 09:25:32

I should have said the box also says to use on clean skin which, to me , implies no premoisturising! confused

rosesarered Sat 21-Jun-14 09:29:32

I never use any other product with it Kitty there is no need.

Silverfish Sat 21-Jun-14 09:37:18

not sure what a BB cream is but I know I never use anything that has parabens in it. Please read the labels as manufacturers think they can use carcinogenic chemicals and will get away with it if we do not protest.
I use basic creams many I but from Holland and Barrett and have never seen any noxious chemicals in them. I also use organic oils as moisturisers.

kittylester Sat 21-Jun-14 09:45:16

This has no parabens at all silverfish

I have very dry skin so would I use nothing at all roses and no foundation? shock

Silverfish Sat 21-Jun-14 09:47:52

kitty, sorry but what has no parabens, I will get some if you tell me what it is.

kittylester Sat 21-Jun-14 09:50:40

The BB Cream smile

Silverfish Sat 21-Jun-14 09:54:44

will someone tell me what on earth is BB cream please

Anne58 Sat 21-Jun-14 09:57:47

It's a bit like tinted moisturiser, but better.

janerowena Sat 21-Jun-14 10:01:19

You use it on its own. It's a light cover and moisturiser that gives me a bit of a glow, and doesn't clog up wrinkles. However, if you feel you need a moisturiser, you can always use one at night, or use it a quarter of an hour before applying the BB cream and then wipe off any excess before applying the cream.

annodomini Sat 21-Jun-14 10:07:52

They seem to be the latest thing in make-up. I've had a look at various sites and the Body Shop gives a full ingredients list which doesn't include parabens. But I've just stocked up on moisturiser and foundation so won't be buying any BB creams in the near future.

annodomini Sat 21-Jun-14 10:11:11

What does BB stand for? Baby Boomer?

henetha Sat 21-Jun-14 10:19:01

BB stands for Beauty Balm. It's a tinted moisturiser really. I use Avon BB cream and sometimes put moisturiser under it and somtimes don't. Because I have a dry skin problem I sometimes put E45 cream under it.
BB cream is nice because it seems to even out variations in skin tones and
makes me look ever-so-slightly better than I do without it. (which is the whole point of using such things, I suppose!)

glammanana Sat 21-Jun-14 10:31:54

BB cream just gives you that sort of feeling that you aren't wearing a heavy foundation but still feel that your skin has some protection from the elements whilst giving it a nice all over even glow,I use it every day and just apply over moisturiser as part of my daily routine.

kittylester Sat 21-Jun-14 11:01:25

That's a bit of a b****r then, like Anno, I've just bought serum, moisturiser and foundation!

annodomini Sat 21-Jun-14 11:14:55

Useful information, thanks.

Kiora Sat 21-Jun-14 11:36:41

No good for me doesn't cover my redness, unfortunately sad any recommendations gladly received x

shysal Sat 21-Jun-14 12:22:51

I have a Clarins BB cream which I bought cheaply on ebay after reading the other thread. I chose 'dark' as I am tanned, but it is quite thick and difficult to spread thinly. I have found that application of Simple day cream first makes it much easier to put on an even thin layer.

Purpledaffodil Sat 21-Jun-14 21:08:27

I used moisturiser before BB cream too, it seems to act like a bit of an undercoat. In fact I have moved on to CC cream which stands for Colour Correcting I believe. Goodness knows what the difference is. In the old days it was just tinted moisturiser. I have treated myself to the Clinique version because it is Factor 30 and I have just had a very painful treatment for solar keratoses, skin damage caused by the sun. My mum died from malignant melanoma, so I feel I should be careful. Now the new skin has grown back on my face, I am nurturing it carefully!

Nanabelle Sat 21-Jun-14 22:31:36

If you look at the Garnier website, it tells you all about BB cream. Half price in Tesco sounds good, so am off to look Monday!

Ana Sat 21-Jun-14 22:35:46

I've just bought a Rimmel one (only £4.98) and will see what it's like - I was persuaded by the spf 25, which is higher than most of the cheaper ones.

suebailey1 Sun 22-Jun-14 09:44:14

There's a good article in the Style section of the Sunday times today on BBs CCs and DDs - sounds like its the CCs and DDs we need - the BBs seem to be for spots.

Silverfish Sun 22-Jun-14 19:57:56

totally confused now. I did look in asda today and found a bb cream full of parabens so I put it back, than I saw come cc cream and just gave up but an answer on an earlier post has explained what cc cream is. I will look again but take my specs as the ingredients are printed in such a small print. Can you get DD cream, maybe Dizzy Disguise which is what I need. These names are so confusing.

Ana Sun 22-Jun-14 20:05:12

Not very much difference between them according to this

www.womenshealthmag.com/beauty/bb-cream