Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

BB cream

(42 Posts)
kittylester Sat 21-Jun-14 09:15:18

Right, so following mention of BB Cream on another thread, I have invested in a Garnier one. (Half price in Tesco). I bought the anti ageing one which appears to be for people much younger than me confused

How do I use it? The box just says use as you would your regular moisturiser. Does that mean as well as, instead of, do I use a serum under it, foundation over it?

Help and advice please!

janerowena Fri 27-Jun-14 17:42:24

No, but I haven't got much wrinkle or bag yet. I do hope it's good because if my eyes end up like my mother's I shall be pretty desperate before too long.

I try out a lot of new stuff at Xmas. I never know what I want as a present, so throughout the year I write down the more expensive (over £20) makeups I want to try out and DBH trots off and gets them for me. that way I don't feel I have wasted my money!

Supernan Fri 27-Jun-14 12:51:43

Has anyone used Rox serum?

janerowena Thu 26-Jun-14 17:08:13

Some useful tips in this article, and the BB cream sounds good too, with a high SPF.

blog.aarp.org/2013/03/13/bobbi-browns-own-beauty-secrets-for-women-50/

Fairydoll2030 Tue 24-Jun-14 23:43:39

Re BB cream. I am on my third tube of one called Missha Perfect Cover.
It's from Korea (I think they invented BB creams) and I get it via Amazon. It had great reviews but I still wondered if it was any good. It's brilliant. When you first put it on it looks a bit greyish but it soon settles to more your own skin tone. It's great cover for those little brown marks caused by sun damage. I generally use foundation over the top to brighten my skin and that works fine without me looking too made up. Highly recommended. Not expensive (can't remember exactly how much) and postage takes around 10 days. Oh, and it has an SPF of 42. I am pale skinned and use No23 shade.

janerowena Mon 23-Jun-14 12:13:41

I use it on my face, I just shut my eyes when I spray it on. It's probably to stop people suing them when they squirt and it goes in their eyes [cynicalsmiley]

Ana Mon 23-Jun-14 11:40:18

Just noticed it does say it's just for the body, whereas Silverfish wants one for her face as well.

Ana Mon 23-Jun-14 11:24:45

Yes, that sounds like a really good product janerowena. Having looked it up I think I'll get some myself - half price at Boots at the moment, £7.25!

janerowena Mon 23-Jun-14 11:16:45

I have ben told of one recently by a friend, it's brilliant, shall just go and look it up.

It's Ambre Solaire Clear Protect 50+. You spray it on, being careful that it is everywhere. I do rub over my face jsu to check. It dries into a thin film that is invisible. I have worn it both over and under BB cream, and it's fine either way. I try to put it on first but yesterday I forgot. I've been wearing it pretty regularly this summer and despite being out in the sun gardening a lot, have no tan at all. I don't remember how much it cost, I was just desperate not to go out looking like an oily ghost.

Ana Mon 23-Jun-14 10:18:45

Sunsense Daily Face Invisible Tint Finish SPF 50+ Sunscreen is supposed to be good, Silverfish, with a matt finish. It's quite expensive full-price, but a lot cheaper online if you shop around.

Tegan Mon 23-Jun-14 10:17:31

I use Olay complete care radiant glow. It's a moisturiser and sunscreen with light reflectors in it. You can use it on it's own or under foundation but, to be honest on most days I use it on it's own and don't feel the need for foundation. It isn't a BB though [I assume it isn't cause it's been around for years].

rosesarered Mon 23-Jun-14 10:00:34

silver can't you dab some matt no colour powder on your face after the sunscreen has sunk in?

Silverfish Mon 23-Jun-14 09:57:35

Can anyone recommend a sun cream that does not make your skin go greasy. I need factor 50 or more as I work out of doors. All I have ever tried makes me look greasy so I cant put on make up as it just disappears. Could I put bb on top of suncream ? . I just feel so scruffy with shiny face and no make up.

rosequartz Sun 22-Jun-14 22:20:35

Well, usually I can't be bothered with makeup in the summer, so am using just moisturiser. But I may try the BB cream if I see any.

janerowena Sun 22-Jun-14 21:20:50

I like it on hot days, because heavy makeup tends to melt into wrinkles and look dreadful. BB cream moisturises with a light coverage and it's just enough to make my skin look more even. I bought a darker tone than I meant to last time and it looks really good, which was a pleasant surprise. I was worried that it would go streaky, but it just gives me a bit of colour.

Ana Sun 22-Jun-14 21:19:55

I tried the one I bought today, but it was too thick and pale. I think I'll stick with my usual No.7 Airbrush Away primer and L'Oreal foundation - their 'rose beige' is exactly the right colour for my skin.

rosesarered Sun 22-Jun-14 21:05:16

grin Looks like we all do different things with the BB cream then. I suppose if you have very dry skin then a bit of any moisturiser first may help, but allow it to sink in for a bit first. I only use the BB cream and nothing else.

Ana Sun 22-Jun-14 20:05:12

Not very much difference between them according to this

www.womenshealthmag.com/beauty/bb-cream

Silverfish Sun 22-Jun-14 19:57:56

totally confused now. I did look in asda today and found a bb cream full of parabens so I put it back, than I saw come cc cream and just gave up but an answer on an earlier post has explained what cc cream is. I will look again but take my specs as the ingredients are printed in such a small print. Can you get DD cream, maybe Dizzy Disguise which is what I need. These names are so confusing.

suebailey1 Sun 22-Jun-14 09:44:14

There's a good article in the Style section of the Sunday times today on BBs CCs and DDs - sounds like its the CCs and DDs we need - the BBs seem to be for spots.

Ana Sat 21-Jun-14 22:35:46

I've just bought a Rimmel one (only £4.98) and will see what it's like - I was persuaded by the spf 25, which is higher than most of the cheaper ones.

Nanabelle Sat 21-Jun-14 22:31:36

If you look at the Garnier website, it tells you all about BB cream. Half price in Tesco sounds good, so am off to look Monday!

Purpledaffodil Sat 21-Jun-14 21:08:27

I used moisturiser before BB cream too, it seems to act like a bit of an undercoat. In fact I have moved on to CC cream which stands for Colour Correcting I believe. Goodness knows what the difference is. In the old days it was just tinted moisturiser. I have treated myself to the Clinique version because it is Factor 30 and I have just had a very painful treatment for solar keratoses, skin damage caused by the sun. My mum died from malignant melanoma, so I feel I should be careful. Now the new skin has grown back on my face, I am nurturing it carefully!

shysal Sat 21-Jun-14 12:22:51

I have a Clarins BB cream which I bought cheaply on ebay after reading the other thread. I chose 'dark' as I am tanned, but it is quite thick and difficult to spread thinly. I have found that application of Simple day cream first makes it much easier to put on an even thin layer.

Kiora Sat 21-Jun-14 11:36:41

No good for me doesn't cover my redness, unfortunately sad any recommendations gladly received x

annodomini Sat 21-Jun-14 11:14:55

Useful information, thanks.