Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Come and talk to us (and Mumsnetters) about the MIL/DIL relationship

(84 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Jul-14 12:53:24

Hello

As lots of you will know, we have a sister site, Mumsnet. And we've been having a think about topics that GNers and MNers have in common, or might be able to share info on in a useful, supportive and hopefully interesting way.

Last month we collaborated with Mumsnet on this thread (and here) about the perimenopause, which we know they really appreciated.

So we thought we'd take a step into a slightly more controversial area (at least according to 1970s comedians): the relationships between daughters-in-law and mothers-in-law - and top tips for how women can work together, inter-generationally, for the benefit of each other and for the DCs/GCs.

If you have a great relationship with your DIL, what advice would you pass on to others for achieving this? What's the one (constructive grin) suggestion you'd make to anyone who finds their DIL or MIL (from experience or now) a bit difficult?

If you could really speak your mind (perhaps you already can), what one thing would you say to your DIL - good, bad or indifferent? What does she already do that's amazingly thoughtful or joy-bringing or quietly constructive? And/or, what's the fly in the ointment?

And if you find your DIL difficult, and your relationship with her has broken down (or is close to doing so), is there anything either of you could do or say to start building bridges? Or are some relationships best left alone?

We should stress we're not trying to foment discord here; studies show that grandparents en masse give up huge amounts of time to help with childcare and/or give financial and emotional support to their children and their partners, and lots of parents know the joy of handing over their precious darlings to the grandparents and running away having a few hours/days off.

And we're not excluding fathers-in-law or sons-in-law, either - as ever, feel free to tell us about those relationships too. But of course the MIL/DIL demographic is likely to emerge strongly from a GN/MN crossover. And we thought it would be interesting to break through the pop culture perception of MIL/DIL relationships and see how you think the land really lies (in a completely unscientific way). Of course, you may even think the whole issue is hugely overstated, and that millions of MILs and DILs all over the country are just quietly getting on with enjoying their relationships and running their lives.

There will be a parallel thread running on Mumsnet about the same issue, and we'll be copying and pasting comments between the two - so if there's something you'd like to ask a community of DILs, now's your chance. And of course do feel free to get yourself a Mumsnet log-in and pop over to say hello.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 18-Jul-14 10:56:56

on Mumsnet:

thornyhousewife:

"I have a very difficult relationship with my Mil. My husband says he hates her, she was quite a cruel and uncaring mother, to my husband especially.

I could write a book about her abusive behaviour over the years but you will just have to take my word for it. Her father committed suicide when she was young which must have been horrendous. I think it must be where her anger comes from but she takes it out on her children and makes them so unhappy.

After my first baby my feelings towards her changed, and shifted from sympathetic tolerance to out right anger, to be honest. The thought of her hurting my kids in the way she hurt hers and her other grandchildren made me feel really really angry at her.

I don't feel angry at her now though. We see her so infrequently she really isn't part of our lives. I feel sad for my husband. He has emotional scars but is thankfully a wonderful and happy dad to our kids.

I tend to think that if you have a good and healthy relationship with your son then you will have a good relationship with your DIL."

MewlingQuim:

"I love my MiL. She is my mum in law, and we get along really well because she doesn't try to mother me.

Unlike my own mother, who I constantly fall out with because she will not stop mothering me even though I am a grown woman who has lived independently since I was 16 years old angry

I think the secret to getting along with your adult family members, regardless of biological relationship, is probably: do not treat them like a child."

atotalshambles:

"I have known my PIL for 20 years. For the first 13 they were amazing. We would spend Christmas with them, go on holiday with them - I absolutely couldn't complain at all. They were wonderful. That was until we had a baby! I soon learnt that it was wasn't my baby it was 'their grandchild' and if we ever saw them they would take the baby away and have their 'time' with their grandchild. Whenever they would come to stay they would take over and act as the parent. They would be great babysitters and so I just learnt to hide my annoyance as the kids were happy. Since then they have 5 grandchildren (3 with me) and 2 from DD. They have always idolized their DD - she is attractive , clever and successful. Now that she has 2 DD I am always being compared negatively. Everything I say is wrong and everything my husband (their DS) is right. My MIL almost flinches if any of the children show me affection or hug me. She cannot cope with the idea that someone not related to her is bringing up her grandchildren. I went to stay with them last summer for a few days so they could see the kids. They would go out everyday with kids without me and leave me in the house on my own. I had my last baby late last year and was seriously ill. They kindly looked after the kids while I was in hospital but would not let me bond with the baby once I was better. They kept saying how they wanted to take her home to bring up themselves. Instead of encouraging me to bond with her they would take her into a different room to have 'their time'. I was talking to a good friend about the situation and we agreed that we will try when our time comes to get on with our DILs. If you are genuine and want to help I think you will have no problem at all. Don't try to be a pseudo parent unless your DIL wants you to !! It is so hard with small children finding someone you trust to look after them. I think something has snapped in me now and they either back off or we will see them heaps less which is a shame."

zanashar:

Unfortunately my MIL doesn't live very close to us, but if she did I'd absolutely love it. Mainly because neither of my parents (who live less less than 3 miles from us) are showing any real excitement at the prospect of becoming grandparents for the first time. �� ( they didn't even come to our wedding last year)

MIL has always been lovely from the day I met her ( think she was glad that someone was finally taking her only son off her hands!) and had no problem when he decided to up sticks from Northern Ireland to the Midlands to be with me three years ago.

As it stands the only grandparent who to have a relationship with our impending arrival is a flight away. Wish I could swap mine with his!

Anyone else have a similar situation?"

FinDeSemaine:

"*They kept saying how they wanted to take her home to bring up themselves*

This is just plain odd. I do wonder why people let their PILs get away with this rubbish, though (though I do realise that with a new baby isn't the time you feel at your most combative and completely see why anyone wouldn't feel up to a row). I have regrets about the relationship I have with my PILs but none of them are to do with the bits where I stood up for myself and told them they were overstepping the mark!"

Thumbwitch:

"My mother had a very poor relationship with her own MIL - Dad had left the northern area he was from, come South to work, met Mum and settled down South - strike 1.
Grandma only had 2 sons, no DDs, as did her sister - she told Mum that she'd never had a DD and didn't know how to relate to women as daughters (she'd had 2 sisters but that didn't count, apparently)hmm. Strike 2.
I was born 1st (a girl!). Strike 3.
Mum's next baby was still born and Dad had a nervous breakdown - Strike 4.
When the next one was born, my Dad was unavoidably away (years later and having had my own DC I can fully understand why this pissed Mum off for years) and my grandparents refused to come down and help until he came back. My lovely nan was the one who looked after me.

My Dad, otoh, got on brilliantly with my lovely nan - called her Mum, loved her possibly even more then my Mum did - I know he was more upset when she died!

So. My first nearly-MIL - nightmare, but then I was a gauche teen and didn't know how to respond to her "social" manners - I felt very intimidated and could tell that she and her DH didn't think I was good enough for their son. She ended up never talking to me - I would sit on a chair in their living room while she and her DS had their little cozy chats - good job I never married him, she became a complete nightmare!

And my current one? I met her when I visited in Australia, she seemed lovely, I was determined to make things work with her because DH was very attached to her (not as much as the previous one though!) and as I was likely to move out here, then it would be very important to get on.
She is immensely helpful, but...
She's be here every day if she could. She likes to be helpful but to the point of interference, which can grate.
One year when I took the DSs back to the UK I got home to find that she and DH had moved a load of stuff around, and broken some of my things, then hidden them and lied about it. I felt as though I had no place in my own home - a possible over-reaction but based on the fact that whenever DH wants to do something around the place, he calls his mother over and they do it together. They are the partnership, I am just here too. I suspect this is largely because he can tell her what to do and she won't argue, whereas I'll ask for justification for why he wants X done, especially if it seems as though Y would be a better option.
She still takes it upon herself to prune/plant/weed/change our garden; to the point where I've actually given up doing anything in it now because I don't feel it's mine. DH doesn't care - he thinks she's a great gardener and is helping.
I still get on with her but it's more of an effort now - I find her and DH's conversation to be very difficult to join in with because I disagree with a lot of what they both say, especially when they get started on their hobbyhorse topics (Immigrants, bitching about neighbours/work people) so I tend to tune them out. They also both converse while a tv programme we're supposed to be watching is on, and then both turn to me to find out what's going on!

She has been very supportive though and I do care about her and will miss her whenever she goes; but we're not best friends and I probably wouldn't see her on my own - I'll go out with her without DH but always with one or both of my DSs.

She probably thinks I'm a PITA as well, to be fair."

MissHC:

"Me and MIL. We've come to accept each other. I don't think we'll ever be friends.

I find her very hard work. She's quite childish and self-centred. She calls several times a week but will never speak to me; she always asks for DP straight away. Never a "how are you doing?" She really relies on DP (even though we live 250 miles away) to sort out her problems. I think it says a lot that she doesn't really have any friends and the rest of the family didn't talk to her for ages - only her brother does again since the birth of our DD.

She worked before she had DP, raised him as a single mother but hasn't had a job since he was born. He's 31 now. She's still on job-seekers allowance but everytime the job centre suggests a course or a job she's got an excuse. It drives me crazy really.

I'm quite sure she thinks I'm a spoiled brat. I'm from a very middle-class background, grew up abroad and travelled loads. She's very working class and seems to live in a totally different world from me. I don't know what she thinks of how we are bringing up DD, and to be completely frank I don't care. We see each other 3/4 times a year and that's enough for me."

QueenofallIsee:

"I am very very lucky - my MIL (and FIL) are wonderful, generous people who adore my children. They are respectful toward me without it feeling as though I am an outsider (exh family were formal somehow, treating me as though I was a VIP so it felt awkward all the time)

My MIL told me once that her sons made a choice to be with her DIL's and so her only option is to love us. She threw herself into embracing us (3 very different women) without being smothering or interfering. She asks to see the children as she misses them - this even though she has my sons every day after school by choice. She sneaks dinner plated up for me into my kitchen when I have been working away and knows her son probably hasn't thought to do it. She would never presume to overrule me even if she disagrees and would defend her family against all comers with her dying breath. I love her very much to be honest, she is one of the nicest people I know"

redhatnoknickers:

"My MIL made it absolutely clear from the outset that I was not welcome in her home and that her son was too good for me. She adored her oldest dgc but was less interested in subsequent dgc, until eventually she declared that DH and I had "too many children" and the PILs cut off contact. She was very difficult but I tried hard with her and I still feel so sad about it, especially as I would have loved a mother figure in my life, or just a friend of her age and experience. There should be an adoption scheme for those of us who long for a mother/grandmother figure to share the little things in life with."

PickleMobile:

"I get on with my mil but she and my fil are very different to my family and I struggle to bond with them.

They have raised a fab son who is the best husband and father I could hope for and for that I'm thankful. They are generous, helping us out with money and looking after our dd one day a week. And I am very greatful and owe them a lot.

I hate saying this and it will make me sound horrible, but they are not emotional people. They don't hug, or kiss or tell each other or us they love them which I find difficult to relate to and this has held back our relationship and makes it difficult for me to talk to them.

My mil is quite old fashioned. She is very house proud and my fil doesn't lift a finger apart from baking. I am a slattern and I always feel like I'm being judged on the cleanliness of my house. DH does the majority of the housework and I think she feels it should be me doing it all like she does.

I hope I can have a good relationship with any future daughter/son in laws. Sort of a mix between my oarents and dh's would be perfect!"

Granmamano1amc Sun 20-Jul-14 08:21:05

My DiL is a lovely caring person who loves son deeply. It has been wonderful to watch them blossom and develop into fantastic parents.Although she is a natural worrier her confidence and self worth has completely shone through as she has relaxed into our family(and we have grown into hers).I hope we are supportive of their hopes and dreams but only offer advice or suggestions when directly asked.
I am so conscious of taking a step back when I watch two sisters who constantly are involved with Everything their own daughters and SiL do that the result is it looks like G&G are bringing up children.Totally put upon financially,(neither are well off) Worst of all they all bring trivial arguments to each others homes which seems to result in a lot of bitching and unnecessary arguments
I want to be there if they need me, look after our grandchildren regularly. Let them have occasional weekend away as well as just help with the washingI know she completely respects I have my own life too..But I hope DiL is loved and supported by me to know that she makes her own decisions even if its not what I might decide and I will still love her unconditionally.

annierich Fri 25-Jul-14 15:25:16

Having two daughters I never imagined I would have a DIL. Happily I now have a SIL and a DIL. She is lovely and just right for my younger daughter. We all get on very well and, although they live over an hour's drive away so we don't see them as often as we would like to, we trust her so much that she is looking after our dog for us while we have a weeks holiday. She has brought happiness into my daughter's and our lives.

Rainagaine Thu 31-Jul-14 15:28:55

Ivanova5, I just wanted to say that you are certainly not alone! I was completely taken aback by the sense of recognition when I read your message. My situation is so like your own (with the exception of the Facebook bit) that it could have been me talking and I can't help feeling that perhaps the 'whole other story' about the wedding might be similar to my experience, too.

I now have two grandchildren and things are slightly better than they have been, but only because DH and I have worked very hard for the past two and a half years. Maybe there will be light at the end of the tunnel for you. I hope so.

littleflo Thu 31-Jul-14 17:19:05

My advice is STOP, LOOK. LISTEN and THINK. Quite often problems arise when the older generation think they are doing a good thing. Buying things for instance. Could it be misinterpreted that you are implying that that they can't cope or that you are trying to impose your tastes. Offering advice, ONLY if you are asked. The list is endless. Always be grateful that your son or daughter has found someone to love them. I have been a MIL for 20 years and have a wonderful relationship with 2 DIL and 1 SIL. More to do with them being tolerant and kind people then me being a perfect MIL.

Ivanova5 Fri 01-Aug-14 12:40:23

Hello, Rainagaine - I'm glad things have worked out for you, but for us now, it's too late! Both me and husband have been made ill by the malarky that we've been through - and have had enough! The only thing that cheers me up is when we see elderly grandparents out with youngsters, & we say to ourselves "not us" - that does cheer me up, but deep down I am still a bit sad! But thank you for assuring me we're not the only ones!

littlecatflossie Thu 09-Oct-14 22:49:31

I need some advice please. My DIL seems to have fallen out of love with my son. They have only been married six years and although they both wanted to start a family straight away, since the kids came along she has become totally absorbed in them to the exclusion of all else. The house is filthy, cluttered and disorganised, she doesn't cook or clean, he works all day and has to come home and make his own food and iron his own work shirts, and then she takes the kids to (their) bed and leaves him on his own most nights. When I last babysat there I was shocked at how dirty and neglected the place was. The bedlinen couldn't have been washed for weeks, I wouldn't let an animal sleep in it. Clean clothes were piled on the floor on top of dirty ones, the kitchen was strewn with litter and dirty dishes, and meanwhile her days are spent seeing friends and playing with the kids!

My son has always tried to pretend things were okay, but he recently admitted that he genuinely feels she only ever wanted a babyfather, and that he is very low down on her list of priorities. She never wants to do anything as a couple, only as a family, and never shows him any affection - even when they are alone all she wants to talk about is the kids. A crisis erupted recently when she announced that she wanted to home-school the older child, and despite my son (and everyone in both extended families) being appalled with the idea and pleading with her to at least let him start school, she deliberately put obstacles in the way, filling the child's head with negative ideas about it, so that when the time came he would scream blue murder every time they tried to take him. She then declared 'I can't bear to see him so unhappy' and has kept him at home ever since.

My son says that when he first asked her to marry him he felt confident that they shared the same hopes, aspirations, and attitudes towards love, marriage and parenthood, but her outlook has changed out of all recognition and he feels cheated. He is a brilliant father, very hands-on, firm but fair, and the kids adore him, but they seem to be his only source of happiness in this marriage.

I have always tried to be a good MIL, never interfering, never offering unsolicited advice, always being there when needed but never without invitation, regularly contributing financially to the household and providing practical help when asked, and indeed loving towards her, but over the last year since the second baby arrived, I've begun to realise just how neglectful she is of my son, of their home, of herself (she always looks scruffy and dirty and sometimes doesn't smell too clean) and she just isn't the girl he married any more. I even wondered if she might be depressed?

My son says I can't interfere because it is a 'private matter' between them, but it breaks my heart to see him so unhappy, and I can't sleep for worrying about it. What can I do?

RedheadedMommy Mon 13-Oct-14 10:12:24

Hi littlecatflossie smile

It sounds dreadful and i can see why you're worried.
I'm a SAHM, our eldest has just started full time school and we have a 1 year old. I will admit, our house looks like a bombs gone off most days.
My husband works fulltime plus overtime.
Its a physical job.
Does your son help round the house?

I do cook, so does he, i wash and iron the clothes, i dont iron his work clothes...he's a grown man.
He hoovers, i mop, i tidy our room, the kids room, the bathroom, he cleans the kitchen, i change the kids beds, he does ours.. see where i'm going?

The house isn't my responserbility. We own the house. We are a team. I'm a stay at home MOM. Not a maid. I do most of the housework yes, as im at home but im also looking after, playing with my child.

I was stuck in a rut when i had my 1st DD. The house was a tip. He did nothing round the house and i was exhausted. Once DD was asleep i just wanted to sleep.
i didnt feel sexy. Or like 'me'. I felt like a zombie. I didnt want to go out, or do anything. I developed depression. I felt like a cook, cleaner and just a mum.

I explained everything to DH, about how swamped i was and had a cry to my mum. She had DD while i got ontop of the housework and things got alot better.

Maybe ask your son if you could have the kids for the night while he takes her out? Tell your son to help out round the house? Offer to cook? It'll take the weight off your DIL. She sounds like she's struggling and needs her DP to stand up and look after her.