Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Menopause Woes

(29 Posts)
Red1970 Sun 06-Jul-14 10:54:38

Morning Ladies
I'll try to keep this short.
I'm 43 and have been hit by the menopause, my doctor prescribed HRT and I did start taking it but with scares of blood clots, and increased risk of cancers I stopped taking it. This was a year ago, and since then I have not had a decent night sleep, and I'm not sure how much longer I can go on like this.
I tried menopace which initially worked at first but then it stopped. I was going to try Black Cohosh, but read that it can effect the liver. I'm currently trying to introduce Soy into my diet, as this is meant to help.
But I feel like I'm clutching at straws and feel that all the information on the internet is confusing me.
My main problem is the sweats, especially at night. I have no problem dropping off to sleep, ten minutes and I'm out like a light, but then an hour later I'm awake, and I'm waking up every couple of hours. I feel totally drained.
Any help or advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks for reading ladies and I hope you all have a lovely Sunday.

Aka Sat 16-Aug-14 09:40:19

That's is horrible. I'm so glad I've never bought a goose down anything Nightowl. Thank you for bringing that cruelty to our attention.

HollyDaze Sat 16-Aug-14 16:20:33

Animal cruelty

A percentage of the world's supply of down feathers has been plucked from live birds,[30] a practice which is condemned as cruel by animal welfare groups.[31] The precise percentage of down harvested in this manner is uncertain; while some references report that it is only a small fraction of the total (less than 1% in 2011),[30] a 2009 Swedish documentary reported that it might be as much as 50–80% of the total supply, a figure supported by IKEA (a home furnishing chain) and an industry representative.[31] The documentary also shows birds lying on the floor with large flesh wounds from the plucking, after which the wounds were stitched using a needle and thread without anesthetic.[32] Although live-plucking is illegal in the United States and Europe, it is known to occur in two European countries (Poland and Hungary) and in China.[31] Public sentiment against the practice has, in some countries, been strong enough that large retailers such as IKEA and Patagonia (a clothing manufacturer) have been forced to alter product lines to eliminate the use (or possible use) of live-plucked down.[33][34]

Let's hope that more manufacturers source their suppliers responsibly as plucking live birds isn't necessary.

Nonu Sat 16-Aug-14 16:30:15

I would go even further and say it is downright cruel.

I feel sad to read what happens to these birds.