Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help on diagnosing autism.

(28 Posts)
MrsPickle Sat 26-Jul-14 19:41:07

Not sure I'm posting in the right bit of the forum, because I'm new here.
I'm a gran to 2 children and a teacher, but that's not why I'm posting, so I have to be careful when seeking advice.
My hub's sister's grandson is on the autistic spectrum, but it's being denied. In fact, it's the elephant in the room. The school has allegedly tested him and said no, he's not autistic, which was received with an almost, 'see told you so' attitude.
But he displays many of the symptoms of autism, including, monosyllabic speech, extreme food pickiness and regimented regimes (amongst others) and we are desperate to help, as are some other members of the family, as we are not alone in our concerns. But we are fobbed off.
Little boy is very well looked after and lacks nothing.

Should we just mind our own business, or is there some way we can get him some help?

Mamie Mon 22-Sep-14 17:42:55

I agree about the need for early diagnosis. My grandson is eight and has high functioning ASD. His therapist and his parents spend a lot of time actively teaching social skills, explaining how to play, talking about how to respond. He is now able to go down to play independently with other children from the block of flats and even went to the shop to buy milk on his own.
If they hadn't identified the issues then they couldn't target the intervention appropriately.
In the end it is about what you do rather than the label, but you can waste a lot of time and effort unless the problems have been properly identified.

hildajenniJ Mon 22-Sep-14 18:22:58

My DGS is five. He has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome. The family have moved house so that he can attend a small school where his needs are much better catered for If my DD hadn't pushed for him to be assessed, his old school would not have had him assessed until age nine. My DD didn't want a label for him so soon but as it is she is now getting the help she needs. Today the educational psychologist is doing a home visit to give the family some suggestions and advice about how to manage his behaviour at home. We are so pleased that he has been diagnosed as, from this point on his behaviour will be better managed, and we will be able to teach him how to conduct himself.