Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tidy Tips? How are your drawers or shelves or anything?

(141 Posts)
trisher Sat 06-Sep-14 12:56:24

I am about as untidy a person as you can get. Watching a detective drama recently I heard someone describe a victim's t-shirts as "rolled not folded" in a drawer. Well that was the start! I have now re-organised all my drawers and I love it. It's easier to take things out and I can fit more in. So I started to wonder how many other ways of keeping things tidy am I missing out on? Come on you neat Grans I need your help!

Icyalittle Sun 14-Sep-14 09:18:33

This is a brilliant thread. I spent a happy hour sorting, rolling and stacking and now keep opening doors and drawers with a happy grin. But how did I manage to accumulate 27 pairs of knickers?
Next up is to cull my electronics cupboard (I am a bit of a techie). I already label every charger and lead. Leads get a label at each end i.e. Olympus to computer / charger to Olympus etc. I hang frequent-use ones on cuphooks under a shelf in my 'office'. Saves loads of hunting around in a tangled mess when I need one.

Deedaa Sun 14-Sep-14 13:21:17

I got inspired and sorted through my bras - how have I accumulated 12? Or it might be 13 - I started to lose count. At least they're all folded neatly, until the next time I can't find the right one!

trisher Sun 14-Sep-14 13:37:12

Well the labeling leads has taken over as my favourite tip. I currently have several boxes and drawers full of leads and wires. Unfortunately many of them have been left behind or passed on to me by my 3 DSs and I don't even know what they fit. But I love the IDEA!!!
I'm wondering if instead of trying to buddy up we should form 2 teams
GNU- Grans Neat United and GSU Grans Slob United. We could have quizes and competitions.

Sonsybesom Sun 14-Sep-14 13:51:23

This is fascinating! I wash every stitch I wear every day, towels, face cloths, dish cloths, floor cloths, after one use only. Bedding every week, nighties every two days, DH thinks this is ridiculous. However I have an untidy clothes cupboard, no wardrobe. The living room is tidy, but don't look under the sofa, bathroom clean, and fussy about food prep, but otherwise a slob. Cupboards untidy. Lose things. Don't put things away. What a muddle!

annodomini Sun 14-Sep-14 14:11:14

My problem is not just the number of bras I have accumulated, but the variety of sizes. I keep the smaller sizes 'just in case'.

rosequartz Sun 14-Sep-14 14:13:37

So how do I get these flipping rolled towels to stay in place while I put the next row in?

is it me?
the airing cupboard looks worse now than before I started unfolding and rolling. confused

rosequartz Sun 14-Sep-14 14:17:00

I have just thrown out a load of bras which were in a larger size smile but where to throw them? I put them in a bag in the 'textile' bin at the recycling place, presume they will get money from the rag man.
I didn't want to put them in with the household waste to go into landfill..

annodomini Sun 14-Sep-14 14:45:50

I did the same, rq, with a load of old but well-washed knickers. There's a limit to the number of floor cloths I need.

Gagagran Sun 14-Sep-14 14:58:22

Oxfam collect spare bras, to send to Africa, where they are highly prized I am told.

trisher Sun 14-Sep-14 15:12:27

Sorry rosequartz I can't help. My airing cupboard went when I had a combi boiler installed. My towels are in a large box in the bathroom and stay put easily. Larger ones on the bottom perhaps???? You really need a Neat Gran!

Coolgran65 Sun 14-Sep-14 15:55:22

rosequartz -- you made me laugh with your story of trying to roll your towels and put them in the airing cupboard.

Roll the towels and place in a layer across the airing cupboard shelf. Then place the second layer of rolled towels on top. etc. etc.

Store them side-to-side...... not uppy-downy.
Big towels to one side, hand towels to the other side.
Use them from the top layer.
wine

Coolgran65 Sun 14-Sep-14 15:55:48

Oooops, that should have been a glass of wine smile

rosequartz Sun 14-Sep-14 17:24:20

Coolgran65 I am so thick!! Of course.

I put clean knickers in the bag as well but didn't like to say. Perhaps they will sort them out and send the bras to Africa. They were still fine but just the wrong size (apparently, after taking advice from a person who knows about these things).

Deedaa Sun 14-Sep-14 21:25:54

We've been doing some decorating which has used up a lot of DH's old underpants. He's gone off white one and decided he wants dark colours!

rosequartz Mon 15-Sep-14 12:28:20

Deedaa DH has done the opposite! Gone back to white ones (is it a sign of age?)

This morning (as well as piles of washing, where does it come from?): airing cupboard tidied, towels rolled, beds re-made after visitors, spare clean bedding under appropriate beds! Way-hay, GN is so inspiring!