Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandson tantrums

(29 Posts)
Funnygran Mon 06-Oct-14 13:27:25

Can anyone offer advice about coping with a 3 year olds temper tantrums? My DD is at her wits end with him, he is the youngest of three and is at pre-school for half the week where he is apparently very well behaved. Any small thing seems to set him off at home and he then throws things, hits his parents and upsets his older siblings. They've tried 'time out' (useless!) and withdrawing treats, toys etc. When he calms down he is usually very apologetic and loving to them. Health visitor suggested more 1 to 1 which he gets anyway. DD told him she was going to send him away which upset him - I wondered if having a few days on his own with us might help both of them? Only thing is, he might think it's a treat as he absolutely adores his grand-dad!

janeainsworth Thu 09-Oct-14 13:09:28

Hope it all works out for you funnygran.
I agree tantrums are more likely when they are tired. Some children seem to have a phase when if they sleep during the day, they won't go to bed at night, but if they don't sleep during the day, they get over-tired.

Iam64 Fri 10-Oct-14 12:49:05

I sympathise, some children are harder to bring up than others. Being tired compounds any negative feelings the child (or their parent) may be experiencing. Getting the youngest of 3 children, who are close in age, to bed at an age appropriate time can be a challenge. It's worth putting the time and effort into this. Having one of his parents to himself to go through his bed time routine, especially the story in bed, usually helps.

I agree with those who say clear boundaries, consistently and fairly maintained, along with good routines and "catching him out being good" are essential. Threatening to send children away is a definite no no. Is there a family centre attached to the nursery school he attends? If so, maybe they run some kind of parenting support group. The staff are usually parents themselves, and empathise with the struggles most of us have at some point or other in bringing up our children.

I expect it'll all settle down Funnygran, family life eh? smile

goldengirl Fri 10-Oct-14 18:46:39

Our youngest GS is almost 2 and apparently had an almighty tantrum when he went home after being his usual fun self with us but he was really tired out. I felt very sorry for DD and guilty wed had a fun time and she was left with him in a state but she was very gracious and said she was delighted that he'd had such a good time. I have to say I'm generally stricter than DH with the GC though if he's pushed they know about it. But they always want to come here which is a lovely compliment if a little exhausting! We see them quite a lot