Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's yours called

(59 Posts)
Kiora Mon 13-Oct-14 21:26:08

Our family name for a hot water bottle is 'Johnny hot belly' my nana, my mother, me, my children, all my grandchildren, all my relatives use it . I don't suppose hot water bottles will be around for much longer so our little name will disappear do any of you have odd names for everyday objects?

daffydil Wed 22-Oct-14 10:16:46

pinkprincess, thank you for your welcome. Good to hear there is to be anoher great grandma. Being a 'great' doesn't feel odd, it is having a son who is a grandfather that is hard to get your head round. However it is lovely. The baby lives in the same town so I get to see him regularly.
grin

rubylady Sun 19-Oct-14 01:44:23

In fact, during our very recent house move, the box was marked "Julie, Jesus and Fido". Julie is my very old tiny tears doll, Jesus, the nativity scene and Fido the wheat heater. Very confusing for the removal men. grin

rubylady Sun 19-Oct-14 01:41:25

I have had a wheat bag which I heat in the microwave and "he" is called Fido. Had him for years now, wouldn't be without him. grin

pinkprincess Sat 18-Oct-14 21:40:21

Welcome Daffydil

My son will become a grandfather next month so that will make me a great gran as well. Welcome to the club.

HollyDaze Sat 18-Oct-14 18:43:56

I feel very boring and unimaginative now! I've never named an inanimate object - I shall start doing it! grin

Daisyanswerdo Sat 18-Oct-14 18:00:14

My mother called her electric blanket her 'hooter'. Her friend's son called his mother's blanket her hooter. He meant 'heater', but it stuck. 'Is my hooter on?'

We also called large zipped handbags or carry-alls 'panic bags' because they were where you stuffed everything at the last minute. 'Where's the panic bag?'

daffydil Sat 18-Oct-14 16:03:11

Thanks again smile

HollyDaze Sat 18-Oct-14 14:47:36

You are welcome daffydil - if you get stuck on something, shout up and someone will try to help.

daffydil Sat 18-Oct-14 14:36:01

Thank you for the welcome HollyDaze

HollyDaze Sat 18-Oct-14 14:29:08

Hello daffydil - welcome to Gransnet smile

I'm a grandmother but not a greatgran - there may be some on here who are.

daffydil Sat 18-Oct-14 14:26:14

I heard about Gransnet by chance recently and really like the look of it so I hope to visit frequently. This is my first post. When my son was very small he called it 'wart hockle bockle' and this name has stuck. He is now a grandfather which makes me a great gran - any more out there?

lfletcher100 Thu 16-Oct-14 18:22:47

My hottie is called 'Sherry' after my very kind friend. She cut up an old jumper and made hot water bottle covers, adding ribbons and buttons. It's delightful and I'm reminded of her kindness every time I fill it up!

feetlebaum Thu 16-Oct-14 16:50:02

... and according to her, a car had 'wind-wipe screamers'!

feetlebaum Thu 16-Oct-14 16:48:48

I seem to remember that in my first marriage we talked of my step-daughter's "Hot Wartle"...

winifred01 Thu 16-Oct-14 15:53:30

Hotily botily!

thatbags Wed 15-Oct-14 21:07:38

My GP told me that one of the treatments (tablets, I presume) for high blood pressure is also good for chilblains.

sparkygran Wed 15-Oct-14 20:00:55

My grandfather was the first person in our neck of the woods to buy an ELECTRIC BLANKET and being the lovely man he was he bought one for all his family members I remember mine as really very thick but oh how I loved it grin

NanKate Wed 15-Oct-14 16:59:04

Teetime I am not surprised your OH was ill after having eaten Activia Yoghurt. I gave my grandson one (which wasn't out of date) and he was violently sick, in fact the neighbour who is a paramedic was called in to check him out. Fortunately he recovered after being sick about 4 times. I have NEVER bought one of those pesky yoghurts again. hmm

Yogagran my Mum was full of clever medical remedies (which I still use) such as kaolin poultices, gargling with water salt water etc. I am sure if you looked at the ingredients for whatever they give people now with chilblains you will see uric acid included.

yogagran Wed 15-Oct-14 11:34:28

Re NanKate's post yesterday about wet nappies as a cure for chilblains I'm wondering just how someone discovered that this worked!
"Ooh my chilblains are really sore and itchy tonight, let's wrap my feet up in this used nappy"

Maggiemay51 Tue 14-Oct-14 23:59:29

We used to call the stoneware ones pigs as well and yes they didnt half make a thud as they fell out the bed..

Tartan legs!

My sister and I used to run out barefoot in the snow when we had chilblains (ah the relief) smile

whitewave Tue 14-Oct-14 21:11:50

I can remember how much chillblains itched! And getting mottled legs from sitting too close to the fire.

mcem Tue 14-Oct-14 19:46:41

From Mum's early days in teaching - circa 1960. One pupil had a few spelling problems (no dyslexsia diagnosis back then) and wrote about his hootenwattledottle. The name stuck but I no longer possess one. I do like my microwaveable wheat bags .

Flowerofthewest Tue 14-Oct-14 19:24:35

Mu aunt used to put a light bulb in a frame and plugged into the wall along with a stone hot water bottle. We were put to bed with this contraption, its lucky we didn't electrocute ourselves in the night.

Mishap Tue 14-Oct-14 17:28:48

We have microwaveable heat pads and one sprung a leak. I needed to buy a new one online and googled their brand name, which is "Hotties" - I was quite surprised by what came up!!!!!

HollyDaze Tue 14-Oct-14 17:22:38

My son could never say hot water bottle - it came out as 'hottie bottle' and that is how it has stayed.

I love my hot water bottle and only reluctantly give it up in a heatwave.

My eldest GD could never say 'fingers' - it always came out as 'fingings' - and we still tend call them 'fingings' blush