What can I get for Mr P's birthday?

Anne58 Thu 13-Nov-14 19:37:38

Which is on Monday! I was toying with "Queen Forever" he's a big fan, but the reviews aren't good, and he's already got everything else that they have ever recorded. He will still be here first thing on the day, so I can give him his card, but leaving the house at silly O'clock to travel to work in Hampshire.

I suppose I could get him a bottle of his favourite spirit tomorrow, plus mixer and lemon, and let him have it as an early present, but it doesn't seem particularly thoughtful, although if I can't come up with anything else it might have to do confused

It doesn't help that we aren't entirely sure if he's going to be 59 or 60 confused

Ana Thu 13-Nov-14 19:41:31

You mean he can't remember what year he was born and has no documentation to prove his date of birth? confused

Anne58 Thu 13-Nov-14 20:02:01

Oh Ana , typical Phoenix complications!

We had the chance to go on holiday, all paid for my my (then) boss. Himself's passport was out of date. sent it off with a rather moth eaten birth certificate, which was rejected. Time running out, tried to get another birth cert. All seemingly relevant register offices drew a blank.Mr P's mother was alive at the time, although not always totally on the ball! Phone call ensued:
Me: Hello Rose, when you registered Mr P's birth, did he have another name, or a middle name?
Her: No, just
Me: What was his date of birth?
Her: 17th November

Now, I was particularly pleased at this stage as I felt that I had caught her on a good day!
Me;OK, so what year?
Her: Oh, now you're asking!

The new birth cert was sent straight to the passport office, and luckily we were able to go on holiday, but there is still much discussion within the family as to whether he was born in 1954 or 1955 confused

suzied Thu 13-Nov-14 20:05:49

Yes a weekend or overnight away is always good.then you get to share the present as well

Elegran Thu 13-Nov-14 20:11:02

Phoenix you may be able to settle his DOB once and for all on this search page. www.freebmd.org.uk/search

You could be one up on the rest of the family (and know whether it is time to buy him a 60 Watt lightbulb)

Ana Thu 13-Nov-14 20:18:02

But...didn't Mr P know what year he was born? I don't understand at all. Why would you have to ask his mother?

Anyway....no idea about a present. Men can be so difficult!

pompa Thu 13-Nov-14 20:59:26

How about a fire extinguisher ?

Hip Flask
Crystal spirit glass
Vintage port

Starling Thu 13-Nov-14 21:11:29

Ask him what he wants?

Charleygirl Thu 13-Nov-14 21:16:00

I agree with Starling and maybe ask him if he wants the latest Queen Forever. Better to give him something that he wants than waste money.

durhamjen Thu 13-Nov-14 22:27:09

Interesting. What happens when he reaches pension age?
The DWP will be glad to save a year's pension.

merlotgran Thu 13-Nov-14 22:39:23

DH's birthday is in early January so it's difficult to know what to get him as by that time everyone is sick to death punch drunk where presents are concerned.

DD1 has the right idea though. She buys him tickets to a concert at the Corn Exchange in Cambridge for a date in the Spring when it's so much nicer to go out. I'm on a winner because I get to go as his carer grin

rubylady Fri 14-Nov-14 00:07:27

Has he had the Made in Heaven cd of Queen. I had never heard of it but got it last year as a big fan and it is lovely. Take a look on Amazon and read some reviews.

I also bought my son a Freddie Mercury, Queen signed mounted photo display . . . featuring a printed autograph. I bought this one and David Bowie and they are fantastic, again from Amazon. It is currently out of stock but you could keep an eye on stock for other occasions as it really is great and I will buy myself one when stocks are back in.

Whatever you decide, I hope your husband has a wonderful birthday, whatever his age. X

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Nov-14 07:40:43

If he likes a tipple that tastes good with lemons, may I suggest Adnams gin? Their First Rate (48%) is smooth and lovely. Copper House (40%) is quite nice too. Not that I have that much experience of tipples you understand, but I've just been bought some for my birthday.

Anne58 Fri 14-Nov-14 08:40:23

Thanks all, I think I will end up asking him, and I know that he'll say he doesn't want anything!

Nfk gin is the one thing that he really can't stand! He enjoys a vodka and tonic, or white rum, Bacardi type stuff.

NanKate Fri 14-Nov-14 09:50:28

My son has bought his Dad the latest Status Quo album for Xmas and says it's excellent and I have bought him the new Annie Lennox album. Do you think your DH would like either of these?

gillybob Fri 14-Nov-14 10:13:33

I bought my DH the new Status Quo CD for his birthday recently NanKate it is really very good. Acoustic versions of all the old stuff with a couple of new ones thrown in. smile

KatyK Fri 14-Nov-14 10:34:08

I have bought mine the new Genesis one, R-Kive. It has a mix of their old stuff and stuff they have done away from the original band, ie Mike and the Mechanics etc.

baubles Fri 14-Nov-14 11:29:35

What about a Wordcloud ?

You could make one yourself if you have a printer or have a smallish poster printed and framed quite inexpensively. Add a bottle of his favourite tipple?

baubles Fri 14-Nov-14 11:34:10

I had one made for DH last year.

I included significant dates, place we had lived and holidayed,pets and a some of his favourite things. I also asked a few close family members for words they would use to describe DH and incorporated them.

It is on the wall of his wee study now, he loved it.

No idea what to get him this year.

Soutra Fri 14-Nov-14 14:03:30

Some nice ideas here- let us know what you decide!

janerowena Fri 14-Nov-14 14:15:28

I like the idea of the word cloud customisable t-shirts. I shall get one of those for DBH's next birthday. I shall not of course put everything I think about him on it.

Soutra Fri 14-Nov-14 15:48:30

gringrin

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Nov-14 21:27:26

Sorry Phoenix I assumed lemon only goes with gin. Actually Adnams have just brought out a vodka. If it's as good as their other spirits it'll be excellent! I like the word cloud T shirt idea - solves the DSiL pressie problem.

Coolgran65 Sat 15-Nov-14 02:05:32

Theatre tickets, you get to go too.
For fun there's always a mousemat with pics of grandchildren....

Agus Sat 15-Nov-14 07:52:59

DH's birthday is in January too. Difficult enough trying to find something for Christmas!

Last birthday I bought him a personalised cushion from Not On The High Street. The words on the front of the cushion are those of 'our' favourite song. I know, mushy making but he loved it.

Happy birthday to Mr P when it comes.