Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What can I get for Mr P's birthday?

(41 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 13-Nov-14 19:37:38

Which is on Monday! I was toying with "Queen Forever" he's a big fan, but the reviews aren't good, and he's already got everything else that they have ever recorded. He will still be here first thing on the day, so I can give him his card, but leaving the house at silly O'clock to travel to work in Hampshire.

I suppose I could get him a bottle of his favourite spirit tomorrow, plus mixer and lemon, and let him have it as an early present, but it doesn't seem particularly thoughtful, although if I can't come up with anything else it might have to do confused

It doesn't help that we aren't entirely sure if he's going to be 59 or 60 confused

Anne58 Sat 15-Nov-14 10:00:02

Morning all!

Well, I asked him and as predicted he says he doesn't want anything! It doesn't help that it is on Monday when he gets up at around 5am to set off for Hampshire (where he is working away) so I can't even do breakfast in bed for him. I think we might have to bring it forward a day, and perhaps have scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and a glass or two of Bucks Fizz!

janerowena Sat 15-Nov-14 14:05:10

In that case - buy him something that you would like.

NanKate Sat 15-Nov-14 17:26:18

Take him to the cinema to see The Imitation Game, excellent film with Benedict Cumberbatch in it and treat him to a nice ice-cream too.

Anne58 Sat 15-Nov-14 17:36:38

Nankate Our nearest cinema is a fair way away, (we live in EX 21, google it to find the nearest cinema, and you might find it's The Plough in Torrington, which gets films about yonks after they come out,!) living in rural Devon has it's drawbacks, but on the whole I wouldn't change it!

ps Sun 16-Nov-14 11:23:46

How about:-

Watch, cufflinks, Fountain/rollerball/fibretip pen, Crystal decanter and pair of glasses (for drink of choice), signet ring, silk tie, leather gloves, headphones, silver shirt collar bones, Leather wallet, slippers, hipflask, gold/silver/platinum toothpick, Tablet, External hard drive, Dressing gown, the power tool he has never justified the cost of, Anything to do with his hobby.

All must be of the highest quality funds will allow and failing all that just tell him you love him and give him a cuddle.

Most of us men have all we need by the time we reach a certain age but would appreciate what we have never justified paying for thinking it selfish to do so if our wives/partners do not have at least the same.

Charleygirl Sun 16-Nov-14 13:01:21

Very helpful phoenix when you received the typical male response from Mr. P "nothing"! It makes it doubly difficult as he has to leave so early to go to work a fair distance from where you live.

Lona Sun 16-Nov-14 14:59:34

Make him a romantic meal, dim lights, candles lit, nice wine, soft music, and give him a night to remember when he's driving to work next day!

Anne58 Sun 16-Nov-14 16:43:12

Hello again!

Well, progress has been made! He's decided to take the day off (hooray!) although I think it might be a ruse to get 2 special dinners! As I didn't know until today that he would be spending his birthday at home, I had already sorted out a (hopefully) nice meal for tonight, namely a Gressingham duck crown (special offer in Waitrose, £5) with homemade dauphinoise potatoes, braised red cabbage and tenderstem broccoli spears. So I will now have to think of something for tomorrow, "slam it in the oven" bought Chinese seems to be top of the list currently!

He has also thought of something that he would like as a present. We are almost out of fish food (for his tropicals) so we are planning to go to Homeleigh garden centre which has a very good tropical fish department. I was waiting for him to say that he would like some more fish, but no!

Homeleigh is famous for it's completely over the top Christmas department, and he has announced that he would like a new Christmas decoration confused A few years ago I had to indulge him when he set his heart on a small (about 18 inches high) fibre optic colour changing Christmas tree that he insisted on putting in the kitchen, although at the time he did seem to find it hard to choose between that and a rather odd looking illuminated snowman, so heaven knows what he will choose this time!

The line between tasteful and tacky can seem rather thin at times............

Still, I'm rather looking forward to our little expedition, we've had a lovely time there before, loitering around the decorations and listening to other peoples comments on certain items and trying to imagine what their homes must be like! grin

shysal Sun 16-Nov-14 16:52:47

Have a great day!

dustyangel Sun 16-Nov-14 16:56:03

That sounds fun fun for both of you Phoenix . Well done Mr P!
I have sneaking wish for a small fibreoptic tree myself. I haven't got one yet but if I see one the right size ...wink

dustyangel Sun 16-Nov-14 16:57:09

Twice the fun obviously.

janerowena Sun 16-Nov-14 17:58:03

And ps have given me a few ideas. Leather gloves sound good.

michelleblane Mon 17-Nov-14 08:34:55

Enjoy the day!

Gagagran Mon 17-Nov-14 08:51:51

Sounds like a really nice day for you both Phoenix". Hope you both enjoy it.smile Happy birthday *Mr P!

Men are not very good at saying what they would like for presents so these days Mr Gaga and I get what we want/need at the time the want/need is identified and usually just say "That's the birthday/Christmas present". Makes life easier all round.

Charleygirl Mon 17-Nov-14 09:02:04

I hope that Mr.P enjoys his birthday- at least the weather is reasonable ie not too cold.

Enjoy your day out- the cats must be confused, seeing Mr.P at home for an extra day. Not too much wine this evening because Mr.P has a long drive early tomorrow morning.