Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What will you be buying for your DH this year?

(74 Posts)
EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 26-Nov-14 15:43:46

Husbands, grandads, brothers, sons, grandsons...they're a tough crowd to buy for aren't they?

We'd love to know what you're planning on buying your DH this Christmas so we can pinch your ideas and if you think it's the present he really wants to find under the tree on Christmas morning.

Complete the sentence,

"All he wants for Christmas is..."

besottedgran Thu 27-Nov-14 16:39:05

A fancy waistcoat (he loves dressing up--it's the dandy in him) and a camera/microphone thingy to fix to his computer if I can work out what is compatible with it! (he would love to use Skype).

Greyduster Thu 27-Nov-14 19:23:51

I ought to buy him a new ipad and then we wouldn't fight over this one, but it will probably be a bottle of good rum, and a new tweed cap. He has had his other one forever and it makes him look like a tramp but he refuses to be parted from it and he won't buy himself a new one. He's very difficult to buy for.

Agus Thu 27-Nov-14 19:47:22

kitty. Have a look at 'Sonos' soundbars. DH has done all the research and this is his choice and I have the feeling this is the one which will appear in our house. Something we bought this year was a Sonos sound system which may be something your DH would like.

Also, have a look at What Hi-if magazine for pointers.

pompa Thu 27-Nov-14 19:59:26

The Sonus sound base was high on my list, only rejected because the feet on our TV were too far apart to sit on it and it was too big to sit in front. Very pleased with the Sony one.

Greyduster Fri 28-Nov-14 13:51:16

Go slower stripes!

grannyactivist Fri 28-Nov-14 19:24:19

Uh oh!confused The Wonderful Man has just asked me to buy him a skateboard for Christmas. Fortunately I found a reduced one online in a Black Friday deal with free postage - good job the watch I bought him was also very cheap.

grumppa Fri 28-Nov-14 19:52:56

New mixer tap for the kitchen sink. Don't think Mrs. Grumppa will be too impressed with that, so I shall have to think of something else.

pompa Fri 28-Nov-14 22:11:33

Grumpa, that sounds a perfect gift. Mrs. G would only ask for useless things like clothes, shoes, perfume etc.

absent Fri 28-Nov-14 22:20:20

We don't give each other presents at Christmas or on birthdays – we have far too much "stuff" as it is – but we do shower absentdaughter and her family with gifts.

Marelli Sat 29-Nov-14 11:33:16

absent, we do the same. I always get a warning of "You'd better not have bought me a present!" So we just don't bother. The family do quite well, though. smile

Humbertbear Sat 29-Nov-14 16:15:51

A book on birds ( feathered kind) and a CD. It's his 70th in April and I'm buying him the larger iPhone 6 as a surprise. I'm getting jewellery. I made sure he knew what I wanted months ago.

Humbertbear Sat 29-Nov-14 16:17:06

Oh I forgot - he's getting my old iPad as I just bought myself a new one

Coolgran65 Sat 29-Nov-14 19:34:36

Hubby has been unable to think of anything he'd like, it's always difficult to buy for him. So, this morning I put it to him that we buy each other a gift with a limit of £20. I've already bought him the book of Jimmy White snooker player. And despite having lovely after shaves CK, etc...he buys Old Spice and Brut. I will therefore lovingly wrap some Old Spice. Sorted!!
I shall have to keep reminding him he must stick to his limit.

Rowantree Sat 29-Nov-14 20:00:18

Nuttn. He doesn't 'do' presents! Definitely a 'bah humbug' man. I've always done all the present-buying for the family, though these days most of them have a pact, but I enjoy choosing and giving presents as long as I am sure they'll be useful/needed/wanted/enjoyed.

Teetime Sun 30-Nov-14 11:13:23

coolgran how funny my DH does the same I have bought him Chanel and Dior cologne (he has a beard so no aftershave) and he saves them and wears M & S Harvard which I refuse to buy for him - what is he saving them for I keep telling him they lose their potency over time. I haven't bought him any smellies this Christmas.

Stansgran Sun 30-Nov-14 14:19:53

I agree with Rowantree . I hate the thought of my hard earned money going on tat whhich ends in the bin but pjs and dressing gowns are dull for children to open

susieb755 Sun 30-Nov-14 18:36:04

DH - a nikon lens for his camera
SIL - t Shirts and hoodie
DS's- Both love books, and some longjohns !! ( berlin is chilly )
DGS A shape sorter, each peach pear plum and spot the dog
Step DGS Nerf gun and chelsea stationary 9 even though he is german he loves chelsea...)

NfkDumpling Sun 30-Nov-14 18:47:09

You lot aren't much good! I'd really hoped you'd come up with some wonderful ideas for my Bah Humbug DH! I'm at a loss. So far I've bought him a box of marzipan fruits. There must be something .......!

rosequartz Sun 30-Nov-14 20:09:47

Some gardening gloves. (which he requested)

rosequartz Sun 30-Nov-14 20:12:18

Stansgran my DGDs love pjs and dressing gowns as long as they are the right ones ie with Doc McStuffins or Ana and Elsa on them. Hello Kitty is fine too. Mum and Dad would probably buy packs of two ordinary ones!

Sucked into the commercial world already.

Not for DH though.

rubysong Sun 30-Nov-14 22:42:22

DH has hinted for a Bose music system. I think I might get him a head torch. DS1 and family all get books as (thanks to a hint from GN I can send books through Book Depository for free). DS2 &GF don't know what they want so will probably get money towards tickets to visit DS 1 in California.

janerowena Sun 30-Nov-14 23:03:09

Nfkdumpling Some of the more unusual things I have bought lately -

A big telescope for star-gazing. Surprisingly inexpensive for beginners' ones.

A crayfish net to leave in the river and go back to check on.

A smoker. Like a big salmon poacher to look at, but you can smoke your own anything.

A game net. If you like shooting (only pigeons in our case) but don't have time to skin or pluck straight away, you hang the case up and it keeps flies and vermin off. It concertinas down smaller.

Weights, for training.

A mug with a Venn diagram on it, showing how he likes his coffee.

Nelliemoser Mon 01-Dec-14 00:27:08

Not much! He spends too much money on himself for things he never uses as it is and I am talking about some expensive things that he never uses.
At this stage in our lives it seems difficult as we are fortunate to buy just what we want anyway, within reason. That is big spenders we are not. I had planned a price cap on stuff last year for the adults which OH ignored and told DS that he wanted a bike stand so he could service his, previously DSs, old D bike. That cost poor DS quite a lot of money.

kittylester Mon 01-Dec-14 06:57:43

I too was hoping for some brilliant idea to leap off the thread but no such luck! We are so busy this year that DH will be lucky to get even marzipan fruits - which wouldn't be good as he doesn't like marzipan!

suzied Mon 01-Dec-14 07:02:06

We usually get each other a weekend away at a nice hotel and go after Christmas to recover.