Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What will you be buying for your DH this year?

(74 Posts)
EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 26-Nov-14 15:43:46

Husbands, grandads, brothers, sons, grandsons...they're a tough crowd to buy for aren't they?

We'd love to know what you're planning on buying your DH this Christmas so we can pinch your ideas and if you think it's the present he really wants to find under the tree on Christmas morning.

Complete the sentence,

"All he wants for Christmas is..."

suzied Mon 01-Dec-14 07:02:42

In the past remote control helicopters have been successful

NfkDumpling Mon 01-Dec-14 07:20:43

A smoker! Thank you Jane! That looks like a real possible. Wonderful!

rubylady Mon 01-Dec-14 07:40:49

Son - a Nintendo 3DS XL and game, a procrastination doodle mouse mat pad for his computer. Bits.

Dad - Edinburgh Mill scalf, day to day diary for his appointments (to help his dementia). Fruit and nut bar.

Brother - Edinburgh Mill scalf, credit size magnifying glass for his wallet (he denies he needs reading glasses) Jellyatrics (Amazon, sweets like jelly babies but for old people, lol)

Coolgran65 Mon 01-Dec-14 08:20:45

In the past.....
Theatre tickets.
Overnight in a good hotel.
Used a photo and got a charcoal drawing made, and framed.
Mousemat with pics of all grandchildren.
New coat.
Golf equipment.
Golf gear.
Lawn bowls equipment.
Bowls gear.

My problem, DH birthday is four weeks before Christmas.

chocolatepudding Mon 01-Dec-14 19:10:15

For DH a book he requested when we visited the BBMF at RAF Coningsby to see the two Lancaster bombers ( the only ones flying in the world, one in the BBMF and the second plane visiting from Canada). The book is a Haynes manual explaining the bombs and bombing techniques used in the Dam Busters raids. We both have relatives that flew Lancasters during WW2. The book is an ideal gift for anyone with an interest in the Lancaster bomber.

CeeCee Mon 01-Dec-14 19:29:25

Can't say what I've bought for DH as he's just confessed to sneaking a peek at Gransnet and he knows my username. Hope he likes it grin
We have one GS with a birthday a week before Christmas and a GD whose birthday is on Christmas Day. Makes it a bit more difficult (and expensive). Thinking cap on hmm

soontobe Mon 01-Dec-14 19:54:02

Chocs and money for more chineses than I would normally want him to have!
Eating is very important to my husband!
He burns it off big time, his job is very manual.

Soutra Tue 02-Dec-14 09:58:26

Money for takeaways? hmm

soontobe Tue 02-Dec-14 10:13:14

Yes!
You do find me hard to understand dont you! And the way we live our life.
We normally have a chinese once a month.
My husband would like more!
So sometimes asks for gifts of money from some people, so he can get round my [and sort of his] rule!

soontobe Tue 02-Dec-14 10:15:02

We are not big spenders. I dont know if that is the bit that you find confusing. We live modestly, but dont sort of have to.

Soutra Tue 02-Dec-14 10:23:08

Well it IS an idea! I suppose it's the "money" that I found strange as I tend to assume the household budget is shared. Why not design some fun vouchers or 'fake' cheques?

soontobe Tue 02-Dec-14 10:33:00

The household budget is shared.
We do things low key, so wont be doing the fake cheques.
Some years, if one of us has forgotten an anniversary card to each other, we just sign the same one too! Neither of us minds.

It isnt just me that gives him money for takeaways. Other family members do it too, as they know he appreciates it!
[didnt realise I was so unique until I came to gransnetters!]
Doesnt anyone else do takeaway money too? smile

J52 Tue 02-Dec-14 10:56:36

One of the best 'gloves' present for DH were some strong neoprene type fabric ones from a leather and saddlery shop. They are normally used for mucking out - I think!

But DH uses them for all sorts of jobs DIY and outside. He keeps them in the car for taking stuff to the tip, defrosting car, wears then when sawing wood etc. they are still going strong after a lot of wear, but I think I'll get him a spare pair. X

kittylester Tue 02-Dec-14 11:01:11

DH has asked for a dressing gown!! [phew] Now, where from? confused

Teetime Tue 02-Dec-14 13:59:52

JL have nice ones and free delivery.

janerowena Tue 02-Dec-14 15:25:51

J52 they sound ideal for DBH, I don't suppose you have a link to them do you?

DBH is the one in this household who insists on extravagant presents. It drives me mad, because he also wants a stocking. So I have to find half a dozen presents and another half a dozen small items. This year so far he has a muscle relaxant bath stuff, handkerchieves, butterfly cufflinks, a daft book that is a Sherlock Holmes spoof, a red ski jacket, some very posh underpants, a new expensive shirt, socks, he will have a big box of Hotel Chocolat chocolates and probably a bottle of English Whisky. I will get him some silly game or other for his stocking as well. Or a puzzle. Or something to make.

He says that the rule of Xmas presents is something to wear, something to eat, something to read, something to drink and something to do.

He's reliving the Christmasses he never had. He was a chorister at Canterbury Cathedral when he was a schoolboy. From the age of 7 to 13 he couldn't go home for Christmas day, and his parents were stationed abroad during that time so he quite often didn't even get to see them.

With DS in Winchester, we just used to take him home when he had finished evensong and have our Xmas Day on Boxing Day. This year he asked for a decent pair of winter boots, a new wheelie travel bag and some new clothes that cannot be afforded on student income. He gets things like small lego kit, joke book, socks and jelly babies in his stocking. I suppose I had better find him a book. I do find it quite hard, their presents are actually really practical things that they need anyway usually.

J52 Wed 03-Dec-14 06:01:44

Sorry Janerowena, I'll see where he's put them and see if the labels still there. I bought them in Pughs, Market Harborough, leicestershire. If that helps. X

J52 Wed 03-Dec-14 06:08:55

DH just popped out to the car to get them! They are made by Thinsulate and have a re-enforced palm. X

Stansgran Wed 03-Dec-14 10:23:41

KittyL try Austin Reed for dressing gowns. In my local shop they have very nice ones at £29 instead of £60. I am tempted for my DH but we are taking the family all 10 of us away for Christmas and we decided token gifts for each other. I've bought him a comfortable leather desk chair for his birthday just after New Year when he's seventy and deserves some luxury.

Stansgran Wed 03-Dec-14 10:24:38

Perhaps we could have a bargain gift thread à la Mumsnet for the December panic.

annodomini Wed 03-Dec-14 11:06:04

Stansgran, thanks for that suggestion. This thread has certainly shown up a huge variation in what people spend on Christmas!

janerowena Wed 03-Dec-14 11:29:49

Thanks J52!

It looks like it on the surface, but what we do is not buy things for ourselves much throughout the year. If DBH wants a new classical CD, instead of popping onto Amazon as he used to and buying it for himself, he makes a note of it and makes himself wait for me to buy it, or I give other family members an email link to it. We all have to write a list of things we need, or wan,t throughout the year so that everyone can see it and buy things from it as and when.

This means that I only need to spend £50 on presents this month and then I am done.

So it looks as though we have piles of presents, but what we are actually doing is practising patience and not giving in to instant gratification urges.

That's my excuse, anyway! grin

Anne58 Wed 03-Dec-14 11:38:30

kitty what about a personalised one? Mr P prefers cotton towelling bath robe type ones, a couple of years ago I got him one from King of Cotton with "Best Chap" embroidered on it! tchgrin