Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fish Fingers?

(47 Posts)
Gracesgran Tue 09-Dec-14 16:34:42

I wonder if anyone can help. I am trying to put a few store cupboard/freezer things away ready for my grandchildren (and their parents smile) arriving from Australia next week. They have made some suggestions but we are all worried about fish fingers as, when they came last time, one's that looked the same as they have at home (Bird's Eye I think) had far more additives in the crumb than they have at home. Does anyone know of any that are more additive free?

shysal Tue 09-Dec-14 16:42:01

You are obviously a very practical person, Gracesgran, judging by the fabulous decorations you have posted. I would therefore suggest that you make your own fish fingers and freeze them. You could even make the bread for the crumbs to avoid the use of additives.
Enjoy your time with the family.

Maggiemaybe Tue 09-Dec-14 16:44:42

The Ingredient Declaration on the Bird's Eye website for their cod fish fingers is:
Cod Fillet (Fish) (58%)
Breadcrumb (Wheat Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast, Paprika, Turmeric)
Rapeseed Oil
Wheat Flour
Water
Salt
Potato Starch

I can't see anything there for anyone to worry about (apart from the fact that I would have hoped for a higher fish content)?

Ana Tue 09-Dec-14 16:50:06

Do they have to have fish fingers anyway?

Gracesgran Tue 09-Dec-14 16:55:11

I have thought about that shysal but really wanted them to look familiar if possible. They are just an "in case" provision as I do mostly cook from scratch otherwise.

I was really surprised that they (Australia) appear to get the additive freer ones and we don't.shock

Thank you so much for the kind comments about my decorations - I am currently suffering from loss of thumb because I have overworked it, pushing pins into the folded fabric ones, etc., so having to look after it. I had to laugh when I saw another name for this sort of tendonitis is also called Trigger Thumb - very Midsummer Murders. Perhaps all the red work I have got addicted to is hiding all the bloodtchwink

Maggiemaybe Tue 09-Dec-14 16:58:15

I was really surprised that they (Australia) appear to get the additive freer ones and we don't. shock

We don't? confused

Maggiemaybe Tue 09-Dec-14 17:16:43

Having looked at the Australian Bird's Eye site declaration (it's a slow news day here), I think I'd prefer our version. The Aussie fingers contain:

Hake or hoki fish (53%), water, wheat flour, maize flour, canola oil, wheat starch, maize starch, salt, wheat gluten, yeast, acidity regulators (450, 451)

I love a fish finger sandwich. tchsmile

Elegran Tue 09-Dec-14 17:28:56

If I were you I would copy that and show it to them. Maybe they were looking at a Non-BirdsEye version?

TerriBull Tue 09-Dec-14 18:09:23

I give my granddaughter, Waitrose's chunky fish fingers, I admit they are somewhat more expensive but they are what they say on the packet, full of chunky white fish.

kittylester Tue 09-Dec-14 18:09:50

There is another make that is slightly better than the Birds Eye ones with, I think, a higher fish content and, luckily, the name came to me whilst I was typing - it's Youngs (I hope!) Nothing wrong with fish fingers and baked beans as a standby!

Gracesgran Tue 09-Dec-14 18:13:26

Thanks for the research Maggiemaybe. Ours apparently contain:

Cod Fillet (Fish) (58%), Breadcrumb (Wheat Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast, Paprika, Turmeric), Rapeseed Oil, Wheat Flour, Water, Salt, Potato Starch

This doesn't seem so awful to me and I think you are right Elegran, I will email both of the lists for them to decide.

Ana Tue 09-Dec-14 18:16:27

Nothing wrong at all, but as Gracesgran and her family are all worried about the additives in the crumb coating, perhaps think of an alternative?

Ana Tue 09-Dec-14 18:17:01

(to kittylester)

thatbags Tue 09-Dec-14 18:25:26

Apart from the acidity regulators (which are usually the sort of acids that occur naturally in some foods anyway, e.g. citric, lactic), all those ingredients in both lists just look like recipe ingredients to me. Do you know which ones they are worried about, graces?

thatbags Tue 09-Dec-14 18:25:54

Asking because knowing what they want to avoid might help you find suitable fish fingers.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Dec-14 18:43:18

ILf there were additives in the crumb coating, it would have to be stated on the pack. It isn't, so there isn't. Nothing wrong with fish fingers. So long as you eat enough of them.

joannapiano Tue 09-Dec-14 18:49:36

Have just cooked Birds Eye Fish Fingers, with jacket potato and baked beans for DGC aged 8,6 and 2. Reading the above, should I be feeling guilty? I always try to cook a healthy,balanced meal for them.

Elegran Tue 09-Dec-14 19:02:47

No. all the ingredients are perfectly OK.

joannapiano Tue 09-Dec-14 19:05:54

Jolly good !smile

Gracesgran Tue 09-Dec-14 19:12:12

I don't think there is anything suspicious in them joannapiano, but I have emailed and it will be interesting to see what they say. I like them smile but I know how hung up you can get when it's your children.

J52 Tue 09-Dec-14 19:23:51

Two fish finger ans salad - great for 5:2 diet days. X

rosequartz Tue 09-Dec-14 19:35:55

I just bought a packet of Bird's Eye fish fingers for the DGC (and me) for the first time in years. I think the colouring is natural these days.

Just had a look, the colourings/flavourings seem to be paprika and turmeric.

DGS (age 5) did point out that our tins of tuna are different from the ones they get in Australia. We discovered they they buy tuna in olive oil over there but I haven't seen it here.
SIL and DGS were both very keen on fresh salmon when they were here; they don't get it where they are.

CeeCee Tue 09-Dec-14 19:36:26

Fish finger sandwiches on locally baked seeded bread absolutely yummy, even DH likes them smile

thatbags Tue 09-Dec-14 19:45:31

You're the second person on gransnet to mention fish finger sandwiches recently, ceecee. I need to try one! Do you add anything else to the sandwich, or is it just fish fingers between buttered bread?

rosequartz Tue 09-Dec-14 19:51:37

They are nice, but not as good as a chip buttie.