Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fish Fingers?

(48 Posts)
Gracesgran Tue 09-Dec-14 16:34:42

I wonder if anyone can help. I am trying to put a few store cupboard/freezer things away ready for my grandchildren (and their parents smile) arriving from Australia next week. They have made some suggestions but we are all worried about fish fingers as, when they came last time, one's that looked the same as they have at home (Bird's Eye I think) had far more additives in the crumb than they have at home. Does anyone know of any that are more additive free?

whenim64 Tue 09-Dec-14 20:01:55

The Brewers Fayre pub/restaurant chain does fish finger butties on ciabatta bread - they look delicious, but you can't beat them on thick, white bread slathered in butter, with a sprinkling of salt.

CeeCee Tue 09-Dec-14 20:04:42

Thatbags I sometimes add a squirt of tomato sauce but they are equally good without. Some time ago I ordered fish finger sandwiches in a very smart bistro came with a lot of green stuff and they cost £7.95 daylight robbery!

yogagran Tue 09-Dec-14 20:16:13

Fish finger sandwiches need either tartare sauce or just ordinary mayonnaise bags, they're really good!

I don't think that there's anything wrong with the Birds Eye ingredients gracesgran but as an alternative you could try a fish shop (if there any left around you) and see if they do their own "home made" ones as our local shop have very good fish fingers.

thatbags Tue 09-Dec-14 21:01:56

Righty-ho! I'm on it, folks! Thank you smile

CeeCee Tue 09-Dec-14 21:10:36

Have mental image of Gransnetters munching fish finger sarnies for lunch tomorrow, enjoy tchgrin

tiggypiro Tue 09-Dec-14 21:17:20

Are your guests going to be checking everything you give them Gracesgran ? I presume there are serious health issues about the additives ?

Nonu Tue 09-Dec-14 21:49:03

I just love fish fingers , aditives and all, when our GC go home there are always some left, I munch them in a sandwich for my lunch with mayo , lettuce and tomato. Quite scrumptious!!

Lona Tue 09-Dec-14 23:05:09

They are yummy, I'm a tartare sauce fan with lots of butter! Got to get some tomorrow.

Gracesgran Tue 09-Dec-14 23:18:04

They are not just my guests tiggypiro, they are my son and his wife and my grandchildren. They just like to keep the additives down to a minimum and my son was fairly horrified when he read the ingredients on a packet of Bird's Eye Fish Fingers when they were over here last time. I am now beginning to wonder what he was actually reading or if they have changed greatly over the last three and a half years, which is, of course, possible.

numberplease Tue 09-Dec-14 23:56:35

Gracesgran, Birdseye do 2 kinds of fish finger, the original ones, and some with Omega3 added. The Omega ones we hate, always make sure we get the others.

kittylester Wed 10-Dec-14 06:39:52

I buy gluten free fish fingers (just for me - I don't care about other additives) and have them with fresh gf bread with loads of butter and brown sauce - one of the best ways of eating gf bread - you almost don't notice it!!

TwiceAsNice Wed 10-Dec-14 06:47:15

I buy Jamie Oliver fish fingers from Ocado which I have delivered. No additives not expensive a £ 3 for two packs of 10 they are nearly always on offer. In between two slices of bread spread with tartare sauce for the sandwich although this is good for adults children prefer tomato ketchup.

absent Wed 10-Dec-14 07:12:17

rosequartz Most well-known brands of canned tuna include tuna in olive oil – as in canned sardines, olive oil was the original oil used.

Gracesgran Wed 10-Dec-14 08:40:24

In the usual succinct way of sons the reply to my email is "They look fine - thanks for checking". Little does he know he has created a conversation on Gransnet!tchgrin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Dec-14 09:02:05

grin They never realise the effort that goes into these things! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Dec-14 09:03:21

Olive oil has largely been replaced by sunflower oil. Or water. cheaper.

thatbags Wed 10-Dec-14 09:23:41

Tastier too.

rosequartz Wed 10-Dec-14 10:05:25

absent I haven't seen tuna in olive oil in the UK (must go to the wrong shops!)

I usually get in too much food for my lot when they come over from Australia, but they love to go shopping here and see everything that is available (especially the GF products - so much more here).

Maggiemaybe Wed 10-Dec-14 23:26:02

I've just had a quick look on Tesco's website. They sell 4 varieties of tuna in olive oil, including the John West one that I buy. I hate tuna in water, though I'm sure it's better for you. We buy it for the cat, on the vet's recommendation.

Grannyknot Thu 11-Dec-14 08:32:39

gracesgran I've got my daughter and SIL living with us at the moment. He's a fisherman and a conscious one too! Which resulted in him throwing back a seabass once when we were on holiday with them. I can't remember the reason exactly now, but I think he said that it was "mature" and therefore should end its life in its natural habitat grin. In other words it had had a good life and he couldn't bear to think of it ending in a pan!

So ... I currently have to be more on my toes than ever 're buying fish caught responsibly and sustainably. Cod is so expensive, it costs the same as steak. Luckily we have a good fishmonger that comes to the local farmer's market so I do a special trip.

Gracesgran Thu 11-Dec-14 08:35:12

You are so right Jinglbellfrocks. To be honest they have such a comparatively short time here and so many to see that I imagine their heads are spinning smile

felice Thu 11-Dec-14 13:44:50

this reminded me, when we were moving from Portugal to Belguim, DD aged 10 went to a local Scottish Primary for a few weeks, she wanted to have school dinners as she had never had them,,,,,,. Fish Fingers,,, call from school, she was being disruptive and could we attend please, she had never had Fish Fingers and was pointing out loudly and clearly in more than one language, that fish do not have fingers and where was its head and tail.
Before moving to Portugal we had lived in the NE of Scotland where we got fish from family who had trawlers, or the fishmongers.
In Portugal her dad caught fish for our restaurant or we bought it at the fish market.
The school were very agressive when we pointed out she was actually correct and fish do not have fingers, and perhaps it might be good to include an item on this in class.
It is still a standing joke in our family about DD and the Fish fingers.
She took a packed lunch for the following weeks.