Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hi please help

(93 Posts)
tonia54 Thu 18-Dec-14 19:40:12

I am at my witts end and do not know were to turn, I found out about gransnet from a lady that I work with, My son and his wife and daughter moved into my home a couple of weks ago as their flat was being sold so the Landlord gave them notice, now I said they could stay with me for a couple of months til they found somewere else and all was ok until my son announced that he is going to register for a flat in the local authority sector. I am devastated because I believe this could take a while and I now feel that I am living a nightmare, my son and I do clash quite a bit, I have just had a terrible row with him all sorts came out, my husband is next to useless and just wants to saty out of it and I feel very alone and quite desperate as to what to do. My son has a wife and a 7 month old baby, and my husband still helps him regularly with money, I gave him my car which he now does not want to share with me, just all so awful, I feel so trapped and out of contol of the situation, what can I do, please help-

Crafting Mon 22-Dec-14 18:59:47

As you say someone posts a problem and then disppears. In my short time on GN I have seen this happen a lot. However, it is good that so many people try to offer genuine advice and help and if the original poster doesn't come back then maybe others with similar problems can be helped. I am one of the people who have followed someone else's thread as it applied to me too and the support offered has been helpful, so for all those who have given advice don't feel disheartened as someone might have been helped flowers to all those who are trying to give support to others

FlicketyB Mon 22-Dec-14 15:06:28

If he won't go and you don't want him at home. Call the police, particularly if he is behaving in a threatening way or will not give you access to your car.

I know this sounds brutal advice but if you are in a position where it is impossible to deal with him and insist he obeys your rules in your home, that is what needs to be done.

I fully understand that all of us want to deal with family problems within the family and certainly do not want to admit outside the family that a grown-up child's behaviour has moved into the domestic violence sector, but for the sake of your health and welfare it is better to face up and realise the extent of his abuse now before matters get worse.

Anya Mon 22-Dec-14 14:03:39

Especially during school holidays.

absent Mon 22-Dec-14 06:15:03

Happens – a lot.

Anne58 Mon 22-Dec-14 00:25:12

As far as I'm aware, no-one has been anything that could be deemed "impolite" , and there has been a lot of good advice given and sympathy/empathy shown, but tonia54 seems to have disappeared. tchconfused

Elegran Sun 21-Dec-14 23:32:09

No. Just saying.

Anya Sun 21-Dec-14 23:19:25

I don't think anyone has been impolite have they?

TriciaF Sun 21-Dec-14 09:10:45

Apologies for my post on this page - I read the first 2 pages then didn't register the scenario had changed later. confused

Soutra Sun 21-Dec-14 07:49:46

smile agree!

Elegran Sat 20-Dec-14 23:34:51

New posters with problems should get practical advice if they ask for it, but it is only fair to ask them to clarify anything we do not understand.

If they don't stay around once they have received replies, that is their prerogative. We can think what we like, though we should be polite in our comments if the poster has been polite in theirs.

Soutra Sat 20-Dec-14 23:01:40

I was a "Sam" for some years and we used to get hoax and fantasy calls-often obscene- as well as people in genuine distress. We were taught while not being naive, nevertheless start off by take calls at face value initially as it was better to be "taken in" (as we often were) by a frivolous or even malicious call, than to risk turning away a genuine cry for help. As someone might say "just saying".

Anya Sat 20-Dec-14 22:38:56

Exactly mini as experience is worth nothing if we don't learn from it !!!

tchwink

MiniMouse Sat 20-Dec-14 22:34:01

tchwink

Anya Sat 20-Dec-14 22:29:10

It is experience in operation!

Soutra Sat 20-Dec-14 20:15:28

Should we not give "new" posters the benefit of the doubt and if they never reappear, just write it up to experience?

TriciaF Sat 20-Dec-14 19:20:26

A similar thing happened to my friend, though in her case it was her step daughter and family.
Eventually she told them she was moving out to stay with her sister until the family left. Which they did a few weeks later when my friend's husband had had enough too and kicked them out.
Otherwise perhaps lay down rules that certain rooms in the house are no-go areas for them, so you can have some privacy.

Anne58 Sat 20-Dec-14 19:01:51

Plus ca change, plus ce la meme chose!

No doubt Paula or Eliza could have given tonia some good advice, if only the were around.

Anya Sat 20-Dec-14 18:35:05

As Elegran rather astutely noticed her story wasn't consistent, at which point she left the thread hmm

Soutra Sat 20-Dec-14 17:58:47

I wonder if this has just been the spin off from a bit of a bust up and tonia has calmed down. She says she told her son they could stay a couple of months but in her post admits they only moved in a couple of weeks ago. If DIL and the baby have just gone to * her* parents we are really not talking about a long term problem are we? Hope this particular spat has blown over now but perhaps it is a cautionary tale.

Penstemmon Sat 20-Dec-14 17:28:42

I agree with the post advising that mother and son go together to housing to see what the options are.
That way it can be made 100% clear that living with mum s a short term arrangement that cannot go on for more than a few weeks. Presumably son is paying mum rent/housekeeping?

Soutra Fri 19-Dec-14 21:42:47

Perhaps tonia hasn't found the help and sympathy she hoped for. It can be hard if you don't get exactly the response you want to hear but we are not here merely to rubber stamp members' opinions. If we ask for opinions we need to be prepared to hear what others actually think. Perhaps she has gone elsewhere. If you are still around tonia do share your reactions and if we have misunderstood you perhaps you could clear up what you might see as misunderstandings.

loopylou Fri 19-Dec-14 20:14:14

In fact don't think she's posted all day...[tchpuzzled]?

MiniMouse Fri 19-Dec-14 20:07:13

Phoenix you're right, I noticed that, too. tchhmm

trisher Fri 19-Dec-14 19:55:46

tonia54 what you are describing is abuse and elders abuse is a growing problem. There is an organisation which can help. You can find their details here www.elderabuse.org.uk/contactus.html
Please give them a ring I am sure they will help you sort things out.

Anne58 Fri 19-Dec-14 19:47:39

Where has she gone? She was posting responses to almost every post on this thread, but now seems to have disappeared? tchconfused