Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How did you cook yours

(45 Posts)
Kiora Fri 26-Dec-14 09:24:19

For years iv cooked my turkey my own way. Butter under the skin butter over the skin. Stuffed the neck, onion up its bum. Set the oven as advised on the pakaging. Iv had frozen and fresh norfolk black, bronze, cheap as chips type. One of my favourites was the sainsburys norfolk black. This year I bought the bronze from morrisons ( because the 'good houskeeping said it was best buy and the sainsburys was expensive) but I decided to follow the lovely nigellas recipe. So I soaked the poor thing for 36 hours then cooked it on her instructions on a very high heat in 2 1/2 hours. The legs burnt to a crisp the skin looked a tad over cooked. The breast was fine and we used a meat thermometer but I was very unsure that it was throughly cooked. My family said it was lovely, soft and moist. The stock made very sweet gravy that I wasn't over keen on. I'm not sure I'd cook that quickly again without mayor adjustments. How was yours this year. Did any one use a famous celebritiesChiefs recipe? If so how was yours(phew that was a long winded post about a turkey...sorrytchblush

Anya Fri 26-Dec-14 09:34:29

I know someone who cooked her turkey from frozen (from Iceland apparently and says on packaging to do this) the day before! tchhmm

Anyone else ever heard of cooking from frozen?

grannyactivist Fri 26-Dec-14 09:35:43

We had goose. I stuffed it full of chopped apples and prunes - Scandinavian style, then covered the legs and wings with double thickness foil and bunged in into the oven on a high heat for thirty minutes. Poured off about two pints of fat, covered the breast with a double thickness of foil and then covered the roasting tin with foil and turned the heat down to 190 degrees and cooked for three more hours. The meat was beautifully moist and tasted delicious. But what to do with the prune and apple stuffing? I'm still pondering that one.

KatyK Fri 26-Dec-14 09:37:38

Anya - we bought one of those turkey crowns from Iceland - cook in the bag from frozen. To be honest, we didn't notice when we bought it that it was cook from frozen and were a bit concerned but it was delicious. Popped the bag in a tray for 2 hours 40 minutes and it was lovely tchsmile

Iam64 Fri 26-Dec-14 09:38:56

I make 2 different stuffings, one with chestnuts, the other apple and sausages. Stuff the neck and the body, smother in butter and streaky bacon, wrap loosely in foil and then without the foil for the final bit of the cooking. Never failed, and this year's was very good.

gma Fri 26-Dec-14 09:40:39

For many years now, at least 20, we have had a fresh, free range Turkey from our local independent butchers shop. Weights vary, depending on how many will be at lunch! This year it was 6.20kg, and 10 for lunch. Collected it on Christmas Eve and kept in garage until required. Giblets cooked in slow cooker for as long as possible, with bay leaf carrot and onion. On Christmas morning, Turkey covered in butter and onion in cavity. Wrap well in foil and put in very hot oven for 1/2 hour and turn down temperature to about 170c and leave well alone!!! Test after 3 hours and open foil to brown breast. Ours cooked to perfection in just under 4 hours!! Of course much depends on your oven, but this is how I always do ours.
Cold cuts for lunch today with gammon , pickles, braised red cabbage and jacket potatoes!
Have a lovely day gransnetters

vampirequeen Fri 26-Dec-14 09:54:22

This year I simply cooked everything very badly blush

Brendawymms Fri 26-Dec-14 09:55:12

I got a cook in bag for the turkey this year. Prepared as normal, chestnut stuffing in neck and bacon over breast, of Turkey, not me, and then pop in the bag and in the oven. Ignore for three hours and take out of oven. It was lovely with great juices. Will always use this method in future.

ninathenana Fri 26-Dec-14 10:05:04

The same way I always do. Stuff the neck, lay streaky bacon across the brest and legs, cover the whole tin in foil and chuck it in the oven for about 3hrs on No4 take it out remove the foil and the bacon and drain the fat then pop it back in to brown. The legs fell off as I removed it from the tin yum !

Grannyknot Fri 26-Dec-14 10:39:52

We had ham cooked Nigella style (by my daughter) - she pointed out to me that the recipe says "the only people who raise an eyebrow are those who haven't tried it" - boiled in Coca Cola for 2 hours and then in the oven for 40 mins with a treacle and mustard powder crust rubbed on. It was delicious! Moist and tasty.

We had roast rib of beef - Delia Smith.

And - roast mixed vegetables - Jamie Oliver!

tchgrin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Dec-14 13:56:20

I forgot to turn the oven on. The small oven. The one with the turkey crown in it. Discovered it at dishing up time.

All was well. I got to watch Frozen while daughter took over the cooking. Very good. tchsmile

We ate at 3.30.

FlicketyB Fri 26-Dec-14 14:11:44

I di the opposite. I have a very new cooker (two weeks) and haven't got the hang of the fan oven. Result: One mahogany coloured very well (over) cooked turkey. It tasted delicious!!

thatbags Fri 26-Dec-14 14:13:53

We had roast lamb cooked by the thatbags method of shoving in the oven on a grid over a roasting pan and making gravy from the drippings. It was delish. I'm going to have acold roast lamb sandwich (I typed snadwich; I like that word) when the two red velvet cupcakes (gift from neighbour) that I've just eaten... when I'm hungry again.

Elegran Fri 26-Dec-14 14:25:03

This year I did turkey crown(s). Never tried that before so I followed this page The result cooked evenly and was delicious, and no dark meat and legs to try to get rid of, but eight of us did not finish one 2.4 Kg crown - I had cooked two because all the advice was that they would be needed but I have all of the second left, as well as some of the first. There were several well-known guzzlers among those eating, too.

Galen Fri 26-Dec-14 14:32:00

I had dressed lobster. Family coming this evening. Chicken dinner tomorrow

Marmight Fri 26-Dec-14 14:53:19

Rib of beef and lots of etceteras prepared and cooked by two SiL's. Everyone enjoyed it apart from me as my appetite had disappeared thanks to horrible chest infection. We had the turkey on Sunday, again prepared by SiLs and very delish it was too. Next Christmas it's back to seafood and a barbie on the beach - yeh!

goldengirl Fri 26-Dec-14 14:59:04

We had turkey crown. I cooked it with half a lemon in one end and half an onion in the other, breast down and it was the best ever - got it from Sainsburys. DH at my request bought me another turkey crown as I thought I had the 5000 coming. It was unfrozen but date says 2 Jan so will cook over the weekend as we only had 500 to feed after all!!!! I also prepared all the veg the night before which helped a lot. Mind you the amount of washing up was still vast in spite of having a dishwasher.

Riverwalk Fri 26-Dec-14 15:04:36

Turkey was cooked in a roasting bag for three hours - first time using this method.

No basting, butter, bacon slices, foil on/off etc.

Result was lovely and moist with perfectly browned skin.

janeainsworth Fri 26-Dec-14 17:11:20

For the first time in living memory Christmas dinner appeared at the pre-estimated time of 2pm, which marks a major achievement.
An 8lb turkey, stuffed one end with chestnut stuffing, the other end with parsley and lemon stuffing, a recipe from an old book 'Good things in England'. Liberally smeared with butter, salt and pepper, a few cloves of garlic tucked between the legs and breast. Covered with a double layer of foil and cooked for 4 hours covered at 140C, then uncovered and raised temperature for the last 15 minutes.
Accompanied with pigs in blankets, cranberry sauce, bread sauce, roasted new potatoes, roasted parsnips, and DSil provided red cabbage with apple, and Brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon.

Followed by Christmas pudding with rum sauce, or chocolate log.

Followed by Stilton cheese.

I could eat it again tomorrow tchgrin

kittylester Fri 26-Dec-14 19:45:08

Turkey breast roll cooked in cling film (Tom Kerridge recipe but without the topping) and, despite my misgivings, it was delicious.

Kiora Fri 26-Dec-14 19:59:43

So kittylester is that ordinary cling film? If it is, is it safe to use it at high temperature?. Interesting. I've never heared of Tom Kerridge.

Mishap Fri 26-Dec-14 20:50:48

Cling film???!!! - I dread to think what chemicals leach out of it at high temperature. I'm not sure I would want to eat it!

I did not have to cook this year, but what I always do is to place the turkey in oven at a high heat for 20 minutes, then I wrap it all loosely in foil and cook at about 100-120 degrees for ever. I cook all meat that way. It half-steams under the foil and you can leave it as long as you like - all day if you want. It will not dry out and will be incredibly tender. Then a blast of high heat at the end with the foil off. It never fails. I usually put it in first thing and eat in the evening. It is like using a hay box.

kittylester Fri 26-Dec-14 21:13:07

Ordinary cling film at 120c for 1.5 to 2 hrs, cooked over a roasting tin of boiling water, the whole lot encased in a foil tent. Google Tom Kerridge Turkey Christmas Roll. Before cooking the breast fillet is flattened out and then spread with stuffing and rolled up like a swiss roll. It really was delicious!

Kiora Fri 26-Dec-14 21:18:08

Thanks kittylester

janeainsworth Fri 26-Dec-14 22:42:58

What's the point of the cling film if the whole thing is encased in foil?
The instructions on my Waitrose cling film say 'Do not use in a conventional oven'
hmm