Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Rent a Friend!

(31 Posts)
Kirdan Wed 21-Jan-15 09:58:30

The title is of course a joke but the thought behind it is not. I live in the NE of Scotland and am on my own for about 11 hours a day every single weekday. There must be other guys like me with lots of time on their hands who would welcome a bit of male company but just don't know how to go about getting it. Any idea?

PS If this post is in the wrong place I apologise.

Kirdan Sun 25-Jan-15 16:05:25

Retired guy, I know the feeling. I don't drink in pubs but am far from being on the wagon. Just got my first 'job' and although it was only fitting 3 tap washers, the lady was very happy. No longer free however but will charge £5.00 for petrol from now on. I can see my services will be spread by that happy customer and look forward to the next.

Retiredguy Sun 25-Jan-15 16:21:09

Good stuff Kirdan.
It makes sense to charge for petrol and parts.
Shame you don't live round here I could keep you busy.
smile

Falconbird Sun 25-Jan-15 19:39:47

"Stitch and bitch!!!!" I belong to a group called "Knit and Natter" and we never bitch - honestly.

To be serious - it is harder for men than women to go out and find friends. It's a brilliant idea about offering your services as a Handy Man Kirdan but be careful of taking out Insurance. If you are a grand dad you could offer your services as a baby sitter?

I worked for a year as a volunteer in an Elderly Person's Home and blokes were very welcome as volunteers, especially for the male residents who enjoyed talking about cars etc.,

I have tried the U3A but it wasn't a place where you could form friendships (just my experience) but Ramblers Groups are very friendly I've heard but Retiredguy - they do stop off for drinks at Country Pubs.

Retiredguy Mon 26-Jan-15 13:07:54

That's what they call it according to Mrs Retiredguy but it won't be the official name I'm sure as the group meets in the parish church hall.
smile

Falconbird Mon 26-Jan-15 16:26:43

Retiredguy smile