Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lakeland Electric Airer

(14 Posts)
GrandmaH Thu 22-Jan-15 12:28:27

Does anyone have one of these & if so what do you think of them?
I have read all the reviews & I have taken on board that the flex is very short but they have mixed reviews.
Did you buy the cover or is an old sheet just as effective?
I am fed up of traipsing to the garage to the tumble dryer in the rain
(usually after 10pm when the cheaper electricity rate cuts in!) & having the stuff I don't tumble over radiators!

sunseeker Thu 22-Jan-15 12:54:00

I have heard good reports of the JML Dri buddi, although I don't have one myself. Its cheaper than the Lakeland and comes with a cover. I don't think you can dry as much as on the Lakeland but I am considering getting the dri buddi myself as I live alone. Need to find out how it is at drying towels and sheets first!

GillT57 Thu 22-Jan-15 13:48:51

I bought one for my student DS as I didnt think it was healthy for him to sleep in a bedroom with damp clothes drying on the radiator every night, and they can't afford to run a tumble drier. DS and housemates are very good at putting washing out on line when they can but the house was getting mouldy with all the damp washing draped everywhere. The Lakeland electric airer works well, gets around the problem and does mean dry warm towels. But, it is not quick ( that is why it is quite cost effective). I would recommend it as a far better method than drying over radiators.

Elegran Thu 22-Jan-15 14:08:45

Where does the water go that is dried out by these dryers?

Tumble dryers are vented to the outside. Radiators just send the water vapour into the atmosphere of the house, to condense on cold surfaces, I would think that these driers do exactly the same, but faster. Better than sleeping with wet clothes draped around a radiator for days, yes, but the same amount of water has to go somewhere.

Maybe a separate spin-dryer would take out more water than a washing machine - they have better spin speeds - and then whatever method of finishing the drying is used, it will be faster and create less condensation.

If the students can't afford a washing machine or a vented tumble-dryer, then they will be wringing things out by hand - a spin-dryer would be cheaper and more useful than a washing machine to them.

Tegan Thu 22-Jan-15 14:28:59

I've just bought a spin dryer because it's so much better at drying things than my washing machine. If there's a mould problem in a house I'd always get a dehumidifier; I put mine on next to any drying clothes and also when I've had a bath and there's lots of steam around. Also perhaps a good idea to buy microfibre towels as they dry you and themselves so much quicker [thinking students here].

janerowena Thu 22-Jan-15 14:50:59

DS and his house got together and told the rental agents that they were making all the walls mouldy with their washing hanging off radiators, and surely it would be better to have a condensing tumble-dryer than mouldy walls that would need decorating. A tumble-dryer arrived three weeks later.

I keep mine outside in a lean-to greenhouse! It keeps it dampened and warmish, my geraniums and herbs love it and I only have to water them about once over the winter. There is a small freezer in there too, to keep it above freezing. I did like the look of the Lakeland airer though, just wasn't sure where I could keep it.

Grannyknot Thu 22-Jan-15 15:21:18

elegran the water extracted by my tumble dryer goes into a tank which I have to empty.

Grannyknot Thu 22-Jan-15 15:21:33

... I mean a built in tank, it is integral to the tumble dryer.

Elegran Thu 22-Jan-15 15:30:27

Yes, Grannyknot the water that is extracted from a tumble-dryer is either vented outside as steam or collects to be emptied, but the water extracted by heated dryers without a vent or a collection tank is still there in the atmosphere - you just don't notice it as you would a container of water or a puff of steam coming out of a tube.

Water doesn't vanish - it becomes water vapour and makes the air damper. When there is too much for the air to hold, it condenses on the nearest cold surface.

Tegan Thu 22-Jan-15 15:42:34

My tumble dryer is a condensor [er?] one but it still makes the room damp so I keep it in the utility room and leave the door open.

dogsdinner Thu 22-Jan-15 17:59:42

I have one of these from Lakeland. It does take all day to dry the clothes and I wrap a sheet round as was recommended. Have to admit I still finish most of the washing off on the radiators to make sure it's dry. I also use the tumble drier occasionally first then put the laundry on Lakelands drier.

Soutra Thu 22-Jan-15 18:05:44

A pulley in the utility room! I absolutely could not cope without it!!

Soutra Thu 22-Jan-15 18:07:06

Oh I think some people down here in the South know these as "Sheila maids", bit in Scotland it's just the pulley.

annodomini Thu 22-Jan-15 18:39:19

A fellow Scot refers to her pulley as a 'maiden'.