Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

It's not my fault my sons misbehaved.

(39 Posts)
Kiora Fri 13-Feb-15 23:13:20

My son has done something really stupid. He's been talking on line to a women he met while abroad. His wife has found out by hacking into his e-mail. There's been no physical relationship between them. My son is abroad and unable to return until later this year. She's furious. I don't blame her. But he is my son. I've just received an e-mail from her along the lines of
"your sons a shit, and much worse He's destroyed everything I'm going to tell the children (7&13) then they'll hate him too. Her and the G.C were due to visit me this half term. I haven't responded to the email. I'm obviously worried about the G.C , her and of course my son whom I'm unable to contact. I'm upset too, having to read these horrible things about my son. What am I suppose to do? sad

Kiora Sun 15-Feb-15 07:51:28

I'm not making excuses for my son. I've haven't said that in any of my posts What I was saying is I'm not to blame. I probably shouldn't have posted on here. I know he was stupid, I know he's to blame. I know what I've got to loose. I've supported her and taken her side through out their relationship even when the shoe was on the other foot. What I understand now that I didn't before is how easy it is to be drawn into things online. I've been thinking throughout the night and my advice to her will probably be that she needs to perhaps go to relate. She needs to be able to vent her feelings and decide if their relationship is worth saving. If I was such a shitty MIL I doubt she'd be coming to visit me. I'm not siding with my son but I'm not going to abandon him either. He may have to pay for this with the loss of his marriage and his children and he will have to take that on the chin but right or wrong we are his family and we will help both him and his family as best as we can. Thank you to those of you who have understood my need for support. To those of you who thought I was justifying the unjustifiable I'm sorry I've been misunderstood. I'm not going to post again because believe me I am going to have years of hearing what a shit he is.

Faye Sun 15-Feb-15 08:53:28

Of course you are not to blame Kiora, no one is saying you are. Because you said you didn't answer her email it sounded as though you are letting her get on with it. If my son did something like this to his wife I would feel very upset, I wouldn't abandon him either but he would be told what I thought. You have a lot to lose so you have to tread carefully.

I remember the reactions of my inlaws when my ex husband and I broke up. As long as he was okay they were happy. They had known me since I was sixteen but they didn't care, they always made that very obvious.

We are all on your side and I don't suppose any of us have the perfect child. flowers

Tegan Sun 15-Feb-15 11:23:42

Kiora; you are between a rock and a hard place aren't you sad. As with most things there's always so much that people don't know; you can never see inside someone elses marriage and sometimes it's well nigh impossible to understand your own either. When my marriage was on the rocks I asked my SIL to speak to my husband to reason with him and was just told that 'it's always been an unhappy marriage anyway'. The lack of support still hurts me to this day as I wasn't asking for her to 'take sides'; I had no family of my own and my husbands family were the only family I had. I feel that, if my ex's mum had still been alive we would have worked through our problems and would still be together now. I understand men more now I'm in my 60's; wish I'd understood them more when I was younger. Maybe Kioras DIL wanted a higher standard of living than wages in this country could provide which is why her son is working abroad and is feeling lonely and isolated. I'm not saying that is the case, but it might be.

Mishap Sun 15-Feb-15 11:41:35

My brother parted from his wife for another woman (although we did not know that bit at the time!) and wife turned up out of the blue at our house to try and persuade my Mum to get him to take her back - it was very awkward indeed. I can understand the difficult position you are in Kiora - wanting to keep everything together and to keep your contact with GC, but not wanting to tread on anyone's toes - a real minefield for you.

kittylester Sun 15-Feb-15 11:43:48

I certainly don't think it's your fault Kiora, your son is a grown up and should take responsibility for his own actions.

I think you are going to have to have a serious talk with your DH if he is likely to argue with your DiL. There is no denying that your son has done wrong and your home should be a safe place for your DiL to let rip and get it out of her system if she wants to without your DH being too partisan.

Agus Sun 15-Feb-15 11:51:29

Kiora flowers.

Your DiL quite rightly needs to know that you and your DH feel that what your son did was wrong and you all agree to trash his behaviour.

What I hope she realises is that she is not however, allowed into your home to personally trash your son to his parents. His actions, which have hurt you too were not of your doing and I hope she respects this fact.

None of us are privy to anyone else's marriage so it is unfair to expect us to jump in and take sides.

FarNorth Sun 15-Feb-15 17:59:31

I think that's a good idea, Kiora, to suggest your DiL speaks to Relate.
You clearly have your DGCs' interests at heart and I hope you will be able to ensure that any discussions are done out of their hearing, so that they enjoy their visit.
flowers

Tegan Sun 15-Feb-15 18:20:40

As long as she realises that Relate are quite expensive. I thought they were a sort of public service and had such a shock when asked for more money than I could afford at the time blush. I know it's worth it to save a marriage. They also seem to prefer it if both parties can converse with them as well.

Iam64 Sun 15-Feb-15 18:23:55

Solicitors provide mediation Tegan, also at a cost. Too little public money is spent on services for families in this kind of stressful situation. I believe it would be cost effective to invest in providing well trained individuals to work with parents

Tegan Sun 15-Feb-15 18:30:23

The counsellor at my doctors was very good [especially as she tended to 'think outside of the box' as well] but I believe she no longer has a job there. The powers that be in this country are very short sighted, I fear sad.

Tegan Sun 15-Feb-15 18:35:18

The first time I went to Relate I realised the man I was speaking to worked at the same place as my husband so I felt quite awkward [that's when I had the enmbarrassment about paying as well]. The second time, several years later, we were interviewed separately and then together; that latter being when we were told 'your marriage is over, go and get divorced' sad. I left the building and had to stop on the way home as I was so upset I couldn't drive properly. I'm not saying it doesn't work for some people but it didn't for us.

Penstemmon Sun 15-Feb-15 21:50:38

Kiora your son is an adult and responsible for his own decisions and behaviour. You are not responsible for what he does.
Obviously, you love him and his children but I can understand the emotions of anger, frustration and probably disappointment about what he has apparently done to let his partner down.

It's important to try and make sure children and their feelings remain top of the agenda in situations like this. Their mum is hurt and wants to lash out. Whilst I can understand why she wants to tell them how 'awful' their dad is it might come back to hurt her as they will love both their dad and mum . Avoiding arguing in front of them may be hard but should be the aim!

If she can go to Relate or another source of counselling she should. It will give her a safe space to voice her raw feelngs. (it helped me to know, properly, what I wanted to do)

Good luck in a tough situation flowers

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 15-Feb-15 22:06:23

I don't think you need to advise her at all. You mainly need to keep her onside to safeguard your relationship with your grandchildren. They need to sort the marriage out themselves. In this particular instance your son is in the wrong. No point in denying that. So listen to her and give her your sympathy. You can only deal with the present situation.