Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Astrology

(89 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 25-Feb-15 08:40:32

Thought I'd woken up on April 1st when I read this.

NHS

I can't believe that an MP who is on the Health Select Committee as well as a committee for science and technology is advocating astrology for the NHS. shock

It can't be true - I must have misread!

Ana Fri 27-Feb-15 22:17:25

In your opinion, grumppa.

I did think about posting my experience of both receiving and giving reiki treatments, but realised it would be a pointless exercise because some people have completely closed minds on the subject.

Anya Fri 27-Feb-15 22:25:54

Actually that's not necessarily true. My first exierience of Reiki was a very painful left knee. I had been training for the Great North Run. I thought I would have to withdraw as I could barely walk, let alone run. A friend offered Reiki and I accepted, mainly not to hurt his feelings.

During the session the pain intensified quite considerably. That was the strange bit, something was clearly going on. But next morning the inflamation was gone, as was the pain. I ran the GRN a week later and have had no trouble with that knee ever since, though the right one can now be a bit dodgy!! That was in 2001 and it was that experience that changed me from a total sceptic to training in Reiki myself.

In this case grumppa the pain and inflammation were linked and this is the kind of 'case' that's ideal for Reiki. No one (sane) is suggesting it can cure cancers or other medical conditions.

But I'm not seeking to convert anyone, just relating my own experience. Before this I would have dismissed this 'laying on hands' and perhaps I somehow did cure myself. Pity I can't fix my other knee by wishful thinking or relaxation hmm

Anya Fri 27-Feb-15 22:28:08

Ana you are doubtless wise because unless you've exierienced (as we have) it then it is hard to believe.

Anya Fri 27-Feb-15 22:28:55

My first post was to Grumppa

Ana Fri 27-Feb-15 22:34:23

How uncanny, Anya, that's almost exactly the same experience I had during my first reiki treatment.

I'd suffered from a painful knee for several years, and after the treatment (during which I felt strange bubbling sensations in the knee) the pain was gone and has never come back.

Anya Fri 27-Feb-15 22:36:18

That is very weird Ana

Grannyknot Fri 27-Feb-15 23:03:47

I think reflexology is more than "foot massage" as feetle says. On holiday in Egypt I went for a reflexology treatment in the hotel, simply because it was on offer and I was on holiday. As she was finishing off, the practitioner sort of dragged her thumb all along the sole of each foot, pressing quite hard and as I was leaving she said with a smile "You should be aware, that's a colon cleanser". The next morning I discovered what she meant (and I'm not talking about diarrhoea). Sorry if TMI, but the reflexology had a definite effect.

And in case you're wondering I'm not into colon cleansing generally, because that I definitely don't believe in.

rubysong Sat 28-Feb-15 00:14:15

I once went for reflexology when I had a painful back. The person didn't know me and I told her nothing but when she felt my feet she knew how much pain I was in and where the pain was. I can't say it cured it but it did ease it for a while.
It seems to me a useful diagnostic tool.
I am much more sceptical about chiropractic which cost me a lot of money but didn't have any effect. Yes, the guy put me in a certain position and I felt a 'crack' as he manipulated my back but the pain was still there and time was what put it right in the end.
I am more careful now with my back and do not carry ridiculously heavy things.

Almaida Mon 22-Jul-19 09:26:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Elegran Mon 22-Jul-19 10:03:19

It is possible to know which people you should let near you and which you should avoid, without recourse to astrology, particularly once you have experienced tens of years in the adult world and met and observed all sorts.

Bellanonna Mon 22-Jul-19 10:10:59

Reported as advertising

BradfordLass72 Mon 22-Jul-19 11:32:12

I've always been a bit undecided about astrology. I don't consult my horoscope but have read about the traits of Aquarians and they are me to a T. No other sign's personality traits are.

Also, having police and health professionals in our circle, they say the Full Moon alters people's behaviours beyond doubt, more patients and fights etc)

We all know the moon affects tides, menstruation and human moods, so if the moon does, why not other planets?

I'm on the fence about the whole thing and because I don't really care, haven't gone into it. But nor would I dismiss it out of hand.

BradfordLass72 Mon 22-Jul-19 11:51:38

To those people who think only the gullible believe in and use homeopathy, I think our own dear Queen is a life-long user of same.

And let us not forget that science, doctors and 'evidence based' stuff have a long history of being wrong.
To slavishly follow science is as unwise as slavishly following superstition.

I still remember how doctors used to advocate smoking for health.