Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

That's a compliment?

(79 Posts)
Anya Tue 24-Mar-15 11:18:22

Came down stairs this morning after my shower to be greeted by 'your face is all lovely and shiny' from DH hmm

rosequartz Tue 24-Mar-15 22:55:10

I'm not sure if DH would notice if I had a face-lift ....

He would probably think I had a different hairstyle.

loopylou Wed 25-Mar-15 05:54:10

Mine wouldn't notice, I had my hair cut short, no comments......

Falconbird Wed 25-Mar-15 08:49:49

I had a friend who was good at giving "back handed compliments."

If I ever wore ear-rings which I never would, I would wear ones like yours.

Your garden would look lovely if it wasn't for all those weeds under the tree.

Teetime Wed 25-Mar-15 08:54:14

I think it is a real compliment from a man. Many men like the fresh face look and dislike make up. DH only says things like that when I don't have make up on- he liked naked generally rather than cover ups but we wont go there.

Anya Wed 25-Mar-15 08:56:41

Well he seems back to normal this morning. It was all about his back ache, pins and needles in left arm and his plans for today hmm

Anya Wed 25-Mar-15 08:57:44

Teetime shock

janerowena Wed 25-Mar-15 10:28:46

Teetime mine too. Anything else just makes him laugh! He's a simple soul really.

I do occasionally get the 'Are you tired?' concerned face peering into mine. I have never liked to admit to him that it only happens on the days when I am not wearing makeup, which I do tend to keep light but always have a bit of foundation or Dove tan stuff on, as my skin is very pale.

However, if we are going somewhere special, I put on the works. I wait to see if he says something complimentary. Nothing. So I say, 'Do I look ok?'

He will peer at me and always, but always say, 'Yes, you look fine. But have you done something different with your hair?'

As I can cut 4" off my hair and he never notices that, I just give up. I presume he will tell me if I look dreadful. I just have to take it as a compliment that he doesn't, I suppose.

But I do think back rather wistfully to the day he told me I looked radiant and glowing. Or when he told me I was beautiful. And when he said our children couldn't possibly be ugly with a mother like me. I shall just have to think 'inner beauty' thoughts, I suppose. (Like that's going to work... wink ) He has said occasionally that I have a lovely smile.

However - I suppose it works both ways. He likes to be told that he looks young for his age, but lately that's become harder to do.

annsixty Thu 26-Mar-15 10:04:21

My DH wouldn't now know how to pay a compliment but this is not about him this time. For the past five weeks I have been using taxis on Mondays for two journeys and of the ten times 9 of the drivers have been Asian (can I say that?) They have ranged from the taciturn to those who never stopped talking including the one who told me to lead a good life and God would look after me.
This week after being quite quiet the driver looked across at me and said "how old are you then?" Now bearing in mind I am locked in a car with a young man I decided not to antagonise him so I fluttered my few straggly lashes and said "Well how old do I look?"
He looked across and said 65 to 70.

I said "oh good because I am actually 77" and he said "you have such fresh looking hair"!!!
So girls if you want the compliments to flow, go white haired and use more taxis.

rosesarered Thu 26-Mar-15 10:53:50

Most husbands are pretty bad at giving compliments, it's not a chap thing is it?Also, do we give them compliments?This has made me think, perhaps I will dish out a few now and then and see what happens.I know that they like to be praised ( for anything really, from taking out the wheelie bins to planting a tree)and lavish amounts are often needed for washing the car!

janerowena Thu 26-Mar-15 11:41:36

Yes, they do. I have noticed that mine loves to receive compliments, so I do give them, but it still doesn't seem to work both ways. He likes things like 'nice shirt!' or 'nice tie!' and 'they go well together', rather than personal comments - apart from being told he looks young.

I think maybe when they look at us, they see our personalities rather than see us objectively. Which is perhaps a good thing, in the long term. Unless they don't like us!

He doesn't like it when I have to wear all black at Easter for concerts, though. He said last night that it was a bit depressing.

cangran Thu 26-Mar-15 20:16:57

How's this for a non-compliment (or very odd chat-up line)? A few weeks ago I was in a cafe paying for coffee after a Pilates class, with my mat over my shoulder. A man (about my age) behind me asked, 'Have you been doing yoga - or are you sleeping rough?'

loopylou Thu 26-Mar-15 20:27:18

hmm
Cheeky b....r!

pompa Thu 26-Mar-15 20:54:34

When i worked for age Concern, I worked with 4 women, one of them was bemoaning the fact that she needed to loose weight (what's new). She did not know how to take it when I said "You are not over weight, you are not even cuddly"

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Mar-15 20:58:26

Compliments from my DH range from "You look really smart" to "Very nice". So my face was a picture when he helped a very glamorous lady down from our holiday tour coach with a "You look lovely tonight, Diane". On seeing said face, he handed me down with a "And you look nice as well". grin

Ana Thu 26-Mar-15 21:08:19

Yes, Maggiemaybe, I've never understood why so many men seem to think that "very smart" is an adequate response to "how do I look?" after you've spent a great deal of time trying to look at least a bit glamorous! grin

pompa Thu 26-Mar-15 21:27:31

It would certainly seem that men are rubbish at stating the obvious, that their partners are gorgeous.
I do have a friend that goes into raptures about how fantastic his wife is on Facebook - usually a few weeks before he spends £100's (or even £1000's) on a new model glider.

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Mar-15 21:30:37

Quite, Ana. I have actually replied that "very smart" was just the look I'd been aiming at for the past hour. I think he probably took that literally!

MaryXYX Fri 27-Mar-15 12:17:21

The sort of comments I get are "You are always well dressed" and "You have a good sense of colour coordination". I take these as real compliments considering my history.

I make an extra effort for church on Sunday, it's sad that hardly anyone does now. Two weeks ago I realised I was the second most elegant lady in the church. Game on sister! No quarter because the winner is 12 years old either.

Riverwalk Fri 27-Mar-15 12:41:36

Rather boastful of you Mary!

How many women were in the congregation?

MaryXYX Fri 27-Mar-15 16:58:51

Boastful - yes. We usually have a congregation of 30 to 35, with a definite majority of women. Many of the women are quite a lot older than I am, and what you tend to see is a "sensible" coat. Some are students and usually wear jeans and sweaters. There really isn't much competition. Should I even try?

loopylou Fri 27-Mar-15 17:04:54

Go for it Mary, not many of us seem to be recipients of decent compliments!
DH just come in, I'm sitting here with side of face swollen, holding an ice pack to it (had miserable morning in dentist's chair while he extracted a very resistant molar shock) and wrapped in a blanket because feeling cold.
DH: 'What's for tea?'
Me: Mumbling...
DH: 'Have you been to the hairdressers?'

confused!!!!

pompa Fri 27-Mar-15 17:09:06

He obviously thought your hair looked great.

loopylou Fri 27-Mar-15 17:11:20

smile (painfully) Pompa!
If hair standing on end looks good, yep!!

Greenfinch Fri 27-Mar-15 17:46:16

pompa and loopylou grin

loopylou Fri 27-Mar-15 17:50:53

Fortunately I don't think he heard what I'd mumbled?... Wasn't particularly ladylike!