Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Name change in real life!

(30 Posts)
kittylester Tue 31-Mar-15 07:15:58

DD3 wants to revert to her maiden name (yippee) and has successfully changd things in most places. Her bank, however, is a different kettle of fish! She has been told that they will only accept a change if it is done by deed poll! She took her birth and marriage certificates in but was told that wasn't good enough. Is this correct?

Anne58 Tue 31-Mar-15 07:21:53

Seems silly to me, surely the bank can see that it's still "her"? If she was opening an account with a new bank they would probably be quite happy with a utility bill and her drivers licence.

kittylester Tue 31-Mar-15 07:24:16

My thoughts exactly Phoenix!

Nelliemoser Tue 31-Mar-15 07:33:19

I suspect it might be the only way and they are being aware to avoid possible fraud issues. It is customer's money they are dealing with.

I don't think my bank staff would recognise me as I do so much on line.
They could be in trouble if they did not make checks. Anybody could try doing that as an identity fraud.

vampirequeen Tue 31-Mar-15 07:51:20

I had to get my name changed by Deed Poll. Cost £86 about 8 years ago but worth every single penny. It's amazing how many companies prefer or require to see legal evidence of name change.

It's ever so easy. Make an appointment at a solicitors. Tell them what you want because mine was drawn up by a staff member who wasn't a solicitor hence it's cheaper. We filled out the form. She went off and did a bit of printing. When she came back I signed the document. That was it. I was officially back to my maiden name. It was my 26th wedding anniversary...brilliant way to celebrate grin

ninathenana Tue 31-Mar-15 09:03:59

DD is saving up to do it by deed poll smile She is already using her maiden name when she can.

glammanana Tue 31-Mar-15 09:12:23

I always thought that as long as you didn't intend to use the name change for fraudulent purposes that you could call yourself any name you want.smile

annsixty Tue 31-Mar-15 09:13:08

I have just googled this and it would appear to be very cheap.
I didn't read in detail but many firms say it is "government accepted ". I seem to remember in the past notices being published in newspapers , this must have changed if the ads are to be believed.

absent Tue 31-Mar-15 09:18:36

It always used to be that you could legally use any surname you like as long as it is without fraudulent intent – even one that is neither your maiden nor married name. I used both my maiden name because that's how I was always known professionally and my married name (first husband) until our divorce, then reverted to my maiden name for everything. I did not change my name when I married for the second time but as far as I know I am quite entitled to call my self Mrs Thing if I want to. It was not necessary to pay for a deed poll change but the law may have changed in the intervening years.

gillybob Tue 31-Mar-15 09:36:23

I think you are right Absent my DS has always called himself by my second husbands surname. It was never changed legally (by deed poll or by adoption). He has everything passport, bank, medical records in the "new" name and even his children, my DGC have this "new" name (or rather the one that does not appear on his birth certificate). No need to change by deed poll.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 31-Mar-15 09:37:26

I always thought it was only Christian names you can change without doing legal stuff. A surname needed deed poll. Even then, it's safer to do the first name properly. You can understand it. Names are so important. You can't have chopping and changing without any legal evidence.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 31-Mar-15 09:41:03

Looks like it's only fifteen quid and you can do it online

NanaDenise Tue 31-Mar-15 10:11:26

Two of my GDs changed their surname by deed poll. They did it on line without any difficulty and used the printed form to change their passports, driving licenses etc. with no difficulty. There are several companies that do it if you Google it.

annodomini Tue 31-Mar-15 10:13:46

My GD1's mother changed her name and her children's name by deed poll quite easily.

kittylester Tue 31-Mar-15 10:21:31

Thank you all. I thought that one could call oneself anything and it counted because of common usage. Stuck in the dark ages me!!

AlieOxon Tue 31-Mar-15 10:45:25

I changed my mane this way in the 70s kitty BUT that was in Scotland. Certainly was legal there then.

AlieOxon Tue 31-Mar-15 10:46:18

Name!!
Now I want to go to my maiden name but seems more difficult....I keep putting it off.

granjura Tue 31-Mar-15 11:28:51

Surely for passports, etc, you have to do it by deedpoll. And I can understand for banks too, in case of litigation, for instance dividing of assets in divorce, etc.

A word of warning though- many countries do not have the possibility of changing name my deed-poll- and once married, even divorced, you can't go back or change. If ever you do this, make sure close relatives and your will executor have copies and all the relevant information- in case anything happens abroad. Or it can leave relatives dealing with the police and legal system in real difficulty if the name on the passport and official documents does not match birth certificate, etc.

Ana Tue 31-Mar-15 11:32:48

Although if a woman reverts back to her maiden name by deed poll it will be the same on her birth certificate, so no problem.

kittylester Tue 31-Mar-15 11:51:35

Alie it was certainly fine to do it like that in the 60s when I worked in a bank but, like I said, that was the dark ages or at least when the world was still in black and white! tbugrin

AlieOxon Tue 31-Mar-15 12:01:57

Having changed, I have had to keep my ancient passport as proof that I did, as it has both names on....the only proof.

granjura Tue 31-Mar-15 12:22:41

Ana yes, of course. But still- best for next of kin to have all the relevant paperwork. In the case I mentioned which cause so much Angst for relatives, the person had changed to a new chosen name altogether, and none of the paperwork tallied.

ninathenana Tue 31-Mar-15 16:51:55

I sent jings link to DD who has said that the posh looking cert. counts for nothing if it's not registered.
NanaDenise says this isn't so. I am very confused !

ninathenana Tue 31-Mar-15 16:57:42

DD says she has just opened a savings account in her maiden name, using her birth cert.
Perhaps DD could close her account and opened one else where kitty

Ana Tue 31-Mar-15 17:02:25

This link explains why you don't have to register a change of name deed.

https://deedpolloffice.com/changing-your-name/changing-your-title