Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

MIL wants GC - not sure I can oblige!

(44 Posts)
forbiddenplanet Mon 20-Apr-15 14:10:54

Hello all
I usually post on Mumsnet (though I am not a mum yet - on which more below!) but don't want to ask this there as some posters seem to be quite critical of MILs and I would really appreciate getting a grandparent's POV on how to deal with this - sorry if this is long
MIL is very nice and we get on well but she is obviously quite keen to have GC and has begun dropping hints (with decreasing subtlety!) often in social situations which I find quite embarrassing and not really sure how to deal with
I am keen myself to have DC soon but DH does not feel ready yet. This sort of makes it worse as I feel I would not be defending my own decision not to have DC yet but his!
I have suggested that he have a conversation with his mum re his feelings about waiting to have DC but he is a very private person and does not feel comfortable with this - he says his family doesn't have those sorts of conversations
My question essentially is if you were MIL how would you want your DIL to handle this in a way that would cause minimum offence? So far I have laughed the comments off and/or changed the subject. I wouldn't want to embarrass her in front of her family/friends as she often makes these comments in front of people. Equally I don't want to promise her GC that we might not be having! Should I just tell her we are not having any yet as her son does not feel ready??
Thanks if you got to the end of this and any suggestions would be gratefully received!

annodomini Mon 20-Apr-15 18:28:07

I wouldn't have dreamt of asking my DSs when they were going to have babies. It was their business and theirs alone, though I was thrilled to have the news when it came.

ninathenana Mon 20-Apr-15 18:50:37

jings re your post 15.36

My DH didn't tell his mum that we were having problems. It took us 13 yrs to get pg with DD.
To give MiL her due she never asked. She never commented when we announced I was pg. Just seemed delighted. Unfortunately she died when I was 7mths sad

sara4 Mon 20-Apr-15 18:54:04

A grannies' boast book was a handbag sized photograph album with photos of her grandchildren. They would pass them round when they meet together. Now days, the photos are on their phones!

Eloethan Mon 20-Apr-15 19:00:48

forbiddenplanet I too think it's tactless and unfair of her to put you on the spot - especially in front of other people. It really is none of her business.

If you were trying to have a baby and had so far been unsuccessful, such remarks could be very disturbing and hurtful.

I understand your husband not feeling very confident with babies and young children. I would think that anxiety is not uncommon for men - or, indeed, for women.

I think it would be reasonable to tell her that your husband doesn't feel ready at the moment to have children. I assume that he would not object to you doing this, especially if you explain that trying to deal with these constant hints makes you feel very uncomfortable?

jingle It may well be normal for some people to hope for grandchildren but I don't think it's normal or acceptable to interfere in what is a very personal matter.

janeainsworth Mon 20-Apr-15 21:13:12

forbiddenplanet I think your MiL is being incredibly insensitive and doesn't deserve your kindness and wish to spare her feelings.
You ask how we would want our DiLs to handle such a situation - well to paraphrase an old joke I wouldn't start from there! I never asked any of my DCs let alone my DCs inlaw what their plans were.
And as for discussing it with others in front of you in social situations - words fail me.

I think in order to avoid issues if and when you do have DCs, you need to set some ground rules now.
1. Prying questions about your health and related issues are not acceptable.
2. Discussion of same, outside the family, is also unacceptable.
I would probably confide in your DH but have the conversation with MiL yourself.
Good luck!

Deedaa Mon 20-Apr-15 21:25:26

I was perfectly happy without grandchildren and wondered what DD was thinking of when she first told us she was pregnant! Having said that the 3 GS's we have now are the lights of my life and totally gorgeous.

I wouldn't be in a hurry forbiddenplanet DD had been married for 10 years before she had her first one and I wouldn't worry too much about your DH, most men have very little experience of children before they have their own. I had never even touched a baby before I had mine and Boy! was that a culture shock!

As far as MiL is concerned I think "We don't feel we're ready at the moment" is all anybody needs to know.

Penstemmon Mon 20-Apr-15 21:40:56

I agree with the posters who say MiL is wrong to ask/mention potential DGCs. I never asked my daughters as I knew if they were having issues conceiving they would tell me and as they had not I knew babies were not yet at the top of the priority list. When they came it was a joy! I had difficulty in conceiving myself and it was awkward if people did ever ask when we were going to have a baby

I think you could say to your MiL that children are on the To Do list but there are other things you and your DH want to do/achieve first so to ask you again in a couple of years!

Jomarie Mon 20-Apr-15 22:28:15

How awkward for you f/p - how insensitive of your mil - I think your best bet is to tell her (on the quiet) that you're willing but it "takes two to tango" - she can draw her own conclusions at that one and perhaps she will pluck up the courage to ask her DS instead of you! On the other hand this might not be the best thing to do. Perhaps you need to tell your DH that your mil is giving you embarrassing moments and that the next time it happens in public you will say quite clearly - "I'm sorry, but you will have to ask (his name) about that" - smiling very sweetly all the time. That might get the message over that it is not entirely up to you!!! She is "out of order" though and not being fair to you. Beware......

Nelliemoser Mon 20-Apr-15 22:34:02

Forbiddenplanet Your Mil should not been dropping these hints etc and that is wrong.

However. I note you have said you would like to have a child soon but your OH does "not feel ready yet".

I think that you and your husband really need to have a clear conversation about when, or if, you both do want to have children together and to have this conversation quite soon and then make a clear decision about this.
As a couple you need to think about your time scales with this if you are already over 30, if just for health issues.

If you let this issue linger on unresolved it could put a lot of strain on your relationship.

Parcs Mon 20-Apr-15 22:35:09

Hello forbid Firstly I would like to say that your MIL is a lucky lady, you sound a very caring kind person.

I do not think you should tell her that her son is not ready to have a baby because she might start pestering him.

Just ignore it and laugh it off as you have been doing.

If it becomes completely un bearable, speak to her alone and tell her gently that it is not the right time to start a family.

If you feel that it is not sinking in you may need to add that it makes you feel un comfortable when she brings it up.

It is all about How you say rather than What you say.

Obviously it is a very good idea to wait until your husband is ready to have a baby, having a baby is a big step and you really should want to take that step.

Good luck with everything

forbiddenplanet Mon 20-Apr-15 23:12:32

Thank you all for your good wishes and advice - I will have a talk to DH and decide a way forward - and at least I have a granny's boast book to look forward to! smile

rubylady Tue 21-Apr-15 00:06:25

Tell her she can come round the next time you have sex and coach from the sidelines, tell her it might help you to conceive! Or is it just me?

Jomarie Tue 21-Apr-15 00:17:27

Hey rubylady - you and me should just shut up shop and go to bed now. Have found myself posting stuff that maybe I wouldn't have done at 11am - just saying....... thinking you may be in the same postion?smile

forbiddenplanet Tue 21-Apr-15 06:06:32

rubylady well that would definitely liven up the next family party!
And what if she said yes blush

Falconbird Tue 21-Apr-15 07:34:25

Older women can be quite competitive about grandchildren.

If she mentions it again, smile enigmatically and say "ah yes one day, one day."

flowers

nannieroz111 Tue 21-Apr-15 10:58:59

falcon ............. attagirl! grin

Tegan Tue 21-Apr-15 11:01:08

Trouble is, whenever I think up a really clever and cutting remark to use in a certain situation when it happens again the conversation never quite goes in the right direction for me to use it and I end up in a deja vu situation yet again. Oh to have the quick thinking verbosity [is that the right word; in fact, is it a word confused] of a Joan Rivers or Oscar Wild sad.

rubylady Wed 22-Apr-15 14:52:02

Jomarie I'm sorry, I read that wrong, I thought it was an invitation! grin

And no, I would have said the same at 11 am.

I know Tegan I'm the same, always with hindsight. But I have had my moments of saying the right thing at the right time.

For your MIL to keep embarrassing you in front of others is not on, that is why I said to say something she would be embarrassed back by, maybe not as bad as I said but she needs to know what it feels like. Or have a quiet word but I wouldn't say it was her son's doing, I would just say that as a couple you have decided to have some time first before starting a family. Put it that he is such a wonderful man, you want him all to yourself for a bit first. smile