Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Blocked access to DGD

(27 Posts)
eastgran Tue 07-Jul-15 17:30:51

So bit of background my DS and DIL are young parents, they found out they were expecting when DIL was 20 years old DGD was born at 21. She's very lazy and I was upset that my DS was so stupid to get her pregnant, DS did the right thing stayed with her and I offered to put them up until their mortgage had gone through. Well she was lazy didn't do hardly any tidying or cleaning if she did it was a half attempt so I'd have to go over it again. She was rude I heard her moaning to DS she wanted to move out, then DGD was born and I was so happy. I loved that little girl since the moment I saw her, as ds and dil were new young parents I tried to help offer advice & do some babycare to give dil a chance to rest. DS told me to stop trying to be a surrogate parent to DGD and that he and DIL wanted to parent themselves.

Things soured DS got a new job and they moved out a few months later near her parents!! Since then I have stayed over when I can, so I can help out, DIL doesn't keep her home very clean, and I think they personally don't play enough with DGD or look after her very well. I try to buy fresh food and make sure the house is spotless when we leave. DIL doesn't cook fresh food very much. After my last visit, DS called me and said I wasn't welcome to stay whenever I liked and most grandparents see their grandchild a few hours a month . I'm very hurt I just want to see DGD make sure she's ok.

I asked ds could I have her for 5 days in august and DS said no she's too young. I know this is DIL's doing she doesn't like me very much I always thought DS would stay loyal to me. I started looking at houses near them so I can be near dgd and take care of her when DIL starts working next march. (DGD will almost be 3 years old) DS was very rude and said I won't be looking after DGD or maybe one day a week, & that he and his wife won't be having me over all the time. I feel really pushed out I just want to be there for DGD they don't put her first!!!

Sorry for any spelling issues english is not my first language.

elena Mon 13-Jul-15 13:49:43

I hope eastgran comes back with a response, maybe after reflecting a bit.

But previous posters have it right....this is a sad tale, and I feel really sorry for the family.