Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

BEETROOT!

(115 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:01:56

I ask you, how in whatever deity's name, could you call a little girl "Beetroot" shock confused

merlotgran Tue 14-Jul-15 22:02:51

Eh?

Ana Tue 14-Jul-15 22:09:57

Why do people start threads with a comment but no link or explanation? confused

Anya Tue 14-Jul-15 22:20:32

Some one has called a child Beetroot? Surely not shock

Anne58 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:21:34

Sorry blush

Obsessive Cleaners Country House thing, the chap with the stately pile that was more of a state than anything, his daughter was called Beetroot! They did mention the little boys name too, began with an R and sounded like someone clearing their throat, so not quite sure what it was.

Anya Tue 14-Jul-15 22:35:38

Radish?

merlotgran Tue 14-Jul-15 22:38:48

Rocket?

I'm going to have to watch this on Catch Up tomorrow to find out. grin

Nanabelle Tue 14-Jul-15 22:38:50

grin

TwiceAsNice Tue 14-Jul-15 23:37:11

Watched a catchup of an old Location Location I'd recorded and the little girl in one family was called Lemony. What were they thinking?

janerowena Wed 15-Jul-15 00:05:22

Rutabaga? I suppose they couldn't really call him Swede, if he wasn't.

Someone must really love their root veg! grin

Lemony Snicket, that's what the other people were thinking of. After all, Queen Victoria was the first one to ever have her name, it was a made-up one and those of her time found it equally peculiar and said it would never catch on.

I await the birth of little Brusselsprout with great interest. Saffron is a spice - a girl at DBH's school is called 'Safrron' so that if ever she meets another Saffron, at least she won't be spelt the same way. Ye Gods.

Eloethan Wed 15-Jul-15 00:17:27

I believe in some countries (France, Switzerland?) names that are deemed unsuitable cannot be registered. Although that seems a bit authoritarian, I think if people are going to burden their children with crazy names - like the poor kids given the names of each player in a football team - then it's probably a good idea to prevent them from doing so.

J52 Wed 15-Jul-15 07:00:49

Just had a quick look on I player. I'd not seen the programme before. Fascinating, made me want to join in the cleaning. I could see where the OCD people were coming from!

I think the boy was called Roul, pronounced Roll.

x

Anne58 Wed 15-Jul-15 08:17:23

I thought it was something slightly longer than that J52 , but as I was still getting over the shock of "Beetroot" my ears may have malfunctioned!

AshTree Wed 15-Jul-15 08:34:53

Do you think it's at all possible that she's called Beatrice, and Beetroot has grown out of that to become a nickname? I didn't see the progeamne so wildly guessing here.

thatbags Wed 15-Jul-15 08:53:41

I think Sweden is one of those countries, eloethan. DD2 lived there for a while and told me.

While I prefer classic names myself, I also think it too authoritarian for governments to prevent people from giving their kids weird names. I'm thinking of the film "Dances With Wolves" (one of my favourites), and the Native North American custom it highlights of a person 'earning' their name by other people's observations of their character and behaviour. I like that tradition and think that some of the name weirdness we now encounter is a similarly cultural thing.

And after all, all names were made up originally. Look at a book on name meanings. Many of what we now regard as classic names have equally weird original meanings. I have nephews and nieces called Manly, Bright, Ewe, Beloved, Who-is-like-the-Lord, Noble Kind, God is Gracious, Watcher.

Teetime Wed 15-Jul-15 09:38:24

Beetroot as I have said on here before is the devils vegetable second only to parsnip in its horror!!! Poor child when I had DD2 I had a very old fashioned very Irish doctor who stood at the end of my bed in the mat unit and said' if you've called that child a ridiculous name I wont got and see it'. He was very satisfied when I told him her names one ancient Greek and one French beauty both saints as well I think. I do think you have to consider that the child's name needs to carry them through life and what is cute and quirky at 3 becomes difficult when you're trying to carve out a career and be taken seriously

Marmight Wed 15-Jul-15 09:41:03

I met my cousin's new grandson at the weekend. He is called 'Beck Otter Hamish' but all day they called him 'Badger' confused He is a lovely wee boy though!!

Marmight Wed 15-Jul-15 09:44:36

Talking of beetroot, I was served a 'golden' beetroot fritter yesterday. I didn't know they existed, but golden it was and tasted just like beetroot. (just thought I'd throw that in, a propos of nothing wink)

VirginiaGranset Wed 15-Jul-15 09:45:01

Hi gransnetters, Beetroot from Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners is my little sister - and I can confirm (well done AshTree), that Beetroot is a nickname in reference to her hair colour. Her actual name is Beatrix grin

gillybob Wed 15-Jul-15 09:53:23

Perhaps she was a particularly red faced child phoenix and the name is entirely appropriate. grin

gillybob Wed 15-Jul-15 09:54:20

Ooooops jeez I didn't see that one coming. Sorry Virginia blush

merlotgran Wed 15-Jul-15 10:07:39

grin gillybob

VirginiaGranset Wed 15-Jul-15 10:10:18

grin

AshTree Wed 15-Jul-15 10:14:41

Oh that's a relief! Nicknames can come about for all sorts of reasons and sometimes they really stick fast. I was at school with a girl called Donkey (from her surname I think, but not sure) and another called Sid (from her little sister trying to say 'sister'}. Both girls' nicknames had completely replaced their given names, by all friends and family.

Stansgran Wed 15-Jul-15 10:18:19

Goodness are we mixing with the great and the good? Brushing shoulders with those in power. So is the brother Raoul then please? Or Rollo.