Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

BEETROOT!

(116 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:01:56

I ask you, how in whatever deity's name, could you call a little girl "Beetroot" shock confused

VirginiaGranset Wed 15-Jul-15 10:32:58

Brother is Rawle smile

merlotgran Wed 15-Jul-15 10:35:40

Just watched it on Catch Up. Couldn't help thinking of Del Boy when they were cleaning that chandelier? grin

What a fab house!

VirginiaGranset Wed 15-Jul-15 10:38:19

Haha! Awww thank you merlotgran

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 15-Jul-15 10:49:31

Oh this is so funny! Who would have thought it? grin

#crikey #wholenewlightongransnet #mixingwiththeknobs

VirginiaGranset Wed 15-Jul-15 11:00:13

Hilarious grin

Elegran Wed 15-Jul-15 11:10:03

Nobs without the k, jings. When you add the k it changes the meaning completely.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 15-Jul-15 11:12:17

shock Shoot!!!

(I did wonder about, after I posted) blush)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 15-Jul-15 11:14:11

(I'm glad we don't have to type embarassed/embarresed/embarrassed when we want that emoticon)

gillybob Wed 15-Jul-15 11:14:30

grin jings you're crazy like out !

JackyB Wed 15-Jul-15 11:47:49

Here in Germany you certainly aren't allowed to give a child a name which isn't approved by the registrar. Also it must unambiguously show the sex of the owner.

So no Vivians or Hilarys or Beverleys (which, I remember, back in the day were both boys' and girls' names, as opposed to Lesley/Leslie) Also, less than 200 years ago, apparently, Shirley was exclusively a boy's name. As was Trac(e)y.

gillybob Wed 15-Jul-15 11:51:35

So no Sam, Chris,Gill, Jo(e) either JackyB ?

janerowena Wed 15-Jul-15 12:06:36

I am really quite sad that her name isn't really Beetroot! grin

thatbags Wed 15-Jul-15 12:08:27

Hillary, Shirley and Tracey all come from surnames, I believe, so they would, at least initially, be exclusively male names.

I rather like the freedom-to-give-your-kids-bonkers-names of the English-speaking countries.

We actually chose Minibags's name because of a nickname I gave her after a scan. It was the name of one of the people (an uncommon surname) who wrote the software to do measurements of limbs and so on during an ultrasound scan. We wanted to carry on calling her that after she was born so we had to find a name that was doable with it. She has a classic Latin name, a shortened version of which we now call her but we called her by the nickname until she went to school, after which she wanted to be called by her proper name.

gillybob Wed 15-Jul-15 12:13:01

I am soooooo confused thatbags It is almost like a puzzle. confused

Dare I ask her name?

My DD has always called my youngest DGD (Gracie, her neice) Popsie. She loves it and is quite huffed when DD calls her by her proper name.

thatbags Wed 15-Jul-15 12:20:53

Have pm-ed you a fuller explanation, gillybob.

inishowen Wed 15-Jul-15 12:34:51

I thought the boy was called Roar, could be wrong. I nearly fell off my chair when I heard the little girl was called Beetroot.

Auntieflo Wed 15-Jul-15 12:35:55

Love this funny thread. When christened, my parents called me Hilary Ann, never shortened, until my brother came along. He couldn't manage all that, so I was 'Eann'. this became my name, so when I met DH, I thought I would lose it, but no, he also adopted it, and so it remains to this day. When called out loud, I used to get strange looks, but with so many unusual names around now, it goes unnoticed, thank heavens.

gillybob Wed 15-Jul-15 12:48:27

Thanks Bags smile

I agree Auntieflo so many strange names now. Some quite cute but some downright crazy. My DGD plays with a little girl called Autumn which is lovely. There is also a Summer in the school. For some reason Winter and Spring don't have the same ring to them do they?

thatbags Wed 15-Jul-15 13:03:51

Heather, Daisy, Rose

Hazel, Amanda (almond), Cashew... maybe not

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Jul-15 13:23:42

I swear when I was in the maternity ward (which was large - about 20 beds) I was THE ONLY PERSON who gave their child an actual name rather than a made up one. oh, sorry, me and the person in the next bed who spent the whole night debating which member of the England squad they should call their son after (Rio in case you were wondering)

ninathenana Wed 15-Jul-15 14:22:09

It also seems quiet common now to register a child with the shortened version of name i.e. Sam, Joe, Ben, Beckie. My real name is a shortened version of two possible names. I get fed up being asked "Is that X or Y ?" No just A [sigh]

gillybob Wed 15-Jul-15 14:31:40

When I gave my daughter her name (30 years ago) my grandad said "oh I will call her by her proper name Katherine" I said her name IS NOT Katherine. He wouldn't have it and said "You can't name her THAT it's a barmaids name"

I am sure Prince William would be thrilled about that !

etheltbags1 Wed 15-Jul-15 14:37:02

We had a Raoul moat who shot 2 policemen in Northumberland a few years ago.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 15-Jul-15 15:00:08

Thanks for that contribution Ethelbags. hmm

Lilygran Wed 15-Jul-15 15:04:24

I met a mother of twins who called them Jade and Amber. I thought that was rather nice! But there's a general tendency now to call pets by people names and babies by inventions. Cat called Alan, another called Arthur. Dog called Roger. Bernard. Maurice.