Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Feeling Feeble.

(54 Posts)
Falconbird Wed 15-Jul-15 07:15:26

I've coped with a lot since I was widowed 3 years ago including selling my house and living on my own in rented accommodation - but I'm having a wobbly about having a tooth out. The thing is my OH would have come with me, waited outside, been sympathetic etc., made a cup of tea when we got home. I feel really feeble about this. A friend offered to come with me but I want to do it on my own. I felt really daft when an 85 year old friend said she had gone on her own, ordered a taxi etc., after an extraction.

janeainsworth Wed 15-Jul-15 23:12:15

Falconbird do tell your dentist how you are feeling. I am sure the dentist and staff will be sympathetic.
If you find music helps to relax you, perhaps take an iPod or phone & headphones with you.
Hope all goes well. You may feel shaky afterwards so think about getting a taxi home.
Take it easy for a couple of days afterwards and don't forget the hot salt water mouthwashes that you will be told to do. They really do work!
flowers

Coolgran65 Thu 16-Jul-15 00:10:56

Good luck Falconbird. I am fortunate to not have to do things by myself. But I do see that where I used to not give a thought about doing certain things, I now think twice and seek reassurance.
Good luck on Tuesday, you are a strong lady and will fly high and soar.

Gracesgran Thu 16-Jul-15 09:02:42

Sounds as if you have been reading Jonathan Livingston Seagull Coolgran65.smile Such an inspirational book. I would send you a copy if I could Falconbird

henetha Thu 16-Jul-15 09:51:46

You don't seem remotely feeble to me, Falconbird. I think you are very brave. Good luck.

grandmaz Thu 16-Jul-15 11:47:40

I've been on my own for a few years now Falconbird and although I manage, there are times when a little bit of loving support is helpful, however if there's no-one to come with you, just be your own 'best friend' and promise yourself a lovely treat afterwards...that's what I do, I lie in the chair and 'project' myself half an hour hence, when I am going to do (whatever it is that falls into the 'treat' bracket...usually not food or a nice coffee due to the anaesthetic, but you get the gist!). I visualise choosing whatever the treat is and just keep breathing slowly whilst reminding myself that I've had five children and that this is a doddle by comparison!

My previous dentist had a wonderful poster on his ceiling and I used to try to imagine myself into the picture, which was a lovely green paradise...anything to distract yourself from whats going on. And remind yourself that your dentist does this countless times each day/week and that you are going to be just fine.

My old dentist was a dream, he would talk me through exactly what he was doing, as he did it, so that I wasnt surprised by his perhaps moving position, or cranking the chair up, or whatever. I had several teeth out and honestly found it quicker and easier than having a filling...the thing it, it doesnt hurt, you won't feel pain and it will be done before you know it.

I've now moved to a new dentist who is very fast and efficient, haven't had any extractions yet, but when I do, I'm sure I'll use the same techniques!

Come back and let us know how you got on...and start planning that 'treat' whatever it is! And btw, you are human, not feeble at all!

grandMattie Thu 16-Jul-15 11:52:58

ONce, when my DH broke his ankle and was hospitalised far away, children were small, life was difficult, a friend told me to NEVER refuse help. Postpone it, etc., but don't refuse it. I accepted assitance, and have been very grateful for her advice.
Had a tooth out last month and was wobbly afterwards. DH was there to hold my hand.
What is the merit in being "brave" - give someone the pleasure of being able to help you.
I have decided that in old age, one had to give other people pleasure however vicarious!
Good luck

rubylady Fri 17-Jul-15 02:03:36

Good luck Falconbird and lots of hugs. I've always had someone with me since birth to attend the heart clinic and it is now getting to a stage where I will be going on my own, which I do not like one bit. With my DS going with me, we go for a coffee afterwards and have a laugh, which takes my mind off the appointment and something to look forward to. I will miss him being there for me when he leaves for uni next year.

I would plan something nice for afterwards. My DD bought me some Magic Stars to suck when I had had my wisdom teeth out, a very nice treat and just the right size. Or maybe a lovely soup for later that day?

Do you have any aromatherapy oils? Maybe sprinkle some Lavender Oil or another which calms you onto a handkerchief and pop it near your nose to smell and to relax you in the chair? Try Rescue Remedy drops or Kalms. I take it you are having local anesthetic?

Another virtual hand to hold here. All good wishes and it will soon be over and done with. Look forward to One Born Every Minute coming back next Wednesday. (If you watch it, that is). flowers

loopylou Fri 17-Jul-15 07:49:19

Oh dear falconbird, I do empathise especially as have had a number of teeth out over the past 18 months.
I didn't have anyone to accompany me, but braved it out....... The anticipation is miles worse than the actual extraction!

I'm sure you'll be fine, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, take care x

Coolgran65 Fri 17-Jul-15 08:38:13

I go to the dentist on my own for extractions, root canals etc. But I'm always glad there is someone to be with me when I get any kind of medical results.

Cosafina Fri 17-Jul-15 16:27:03

Good luck Falconbird! I've always been alone (sadly) but when I had to have my two front teeth out came home feeling terribly depressed. Decided to have a bath rather than my usual shower - the first time my new cat had seen me in the bath. Her expression of "are you totally insane??" and subsequent antics as she investigated the depths of my lunacy had me laughing out loud.
So maybe invest in a pet, for those awful times when you feel too alone.

Katek Fri 17-Jul-15 18:12:47

Tip....local dental anaesthetics contain adrenaline which adds to the shaky feeling. You can ask to have an anaesthetic which doesn't contain this. It always made me feel a bit panicky until I investigated what was causing it. Good luck with the extraction.

Falconbird Sat 18-Jul-15 05:44:17

Thanks everyone your comments have really bucked me up.

I have to have three teeth out and three fillings over the course of 3 weeks. I think my confidence has been shaken by circumstances because many years ago, I can remember having a tooth out (complete with gum boil) and going home on the bus. On another occasion I had a tooth out and went back to work!

My Dil thinks the dental work is because I eat too much chocolate, but the dentist says its due to teeth clenching because of stress grin I clench my teeth so much at night that I wake up with an achy face.

Cosafina - you are a star having two front teeth out! Do you have replacement teeth at the front now?

flowers wine for everyone but no cupcake because of the topic smile

Jomarie Sat 18-Jul-15 23:29:27

falcon - having a tooth out is traumatic no matter what anyone says. Any action taken to remove something from the body is difficult and there is nothing to be gained from being "brave" and doing it on your own. Your friend has offered to come with you = accept with gratitude and know that you will happily offer her the same support in the future. Just having someone else there, caring for your wellbeing is so nice. Driving you home and making you comfortable is lovely. I have been brave (ie not being seen to be needy) too many times - I now accept support and it's great. I also offer it and give it if accepted. One good turn deserves another as they say. People like to help. Good luck flowers

bikergran Mon 20-Jul-15 21:25:29

Falcon hope all goes well tomorrow (I think you said Tuesday)! at least this time tomorrow it will be over and done with.....all us GNetters with be there with you in virtual space..just keep looking up at the ceiling "we will be there! smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Jul-15 18:29:29

All better now Falconbird? Hope so. smile

Falconbird Thu 23-Jul-15 06:40:59

Thanks jinglebells, biker and everyone. I made it to the dentist and he took out the wisdom and another tooth. (It wasn't a walk in the park) as my American cousin says, but the gap is healing up. I have to have another one out next week!

As I thought I would I missed my OH a lot. I took a taxi home and felt quite miserable because my OH would have been waiting in the old Skoda and unfortunately the dentist is very near our old home where my OH was so ill and eventually passed away.

I decided not to change dentists because the practice I have is very good.

Without Gransnet I might well have chickened out but the embarrassing thought of having to report back that I'd cancelled the appointment kept me going.

I think dentists have changed the anesthetic they use. I remember my face being really numb for hours and swelling up like a balloon, but that didn't happen.

Thanks again to all who were encouraging, didn't think I was feeble, and shared their experiences and gave great advice.

flowers really nice ones from the florists. smile

janeainsworth Thu 23-Jul-15 06:54:55

Well done falconbird, I'm glad it went well.
Look after yourself.
flowers for you too smile

FarNorth Thu 23-Jul-15 07:02:34

Well done Falconbird. flowers

Anya Thu 23-Jul-15 07:17:35

Knew you could do it Falcon flowers

Lona Thu 23-Jul-15 07:20:31

Well done falcon sunshine

Sewsilver Thu 23-Jul-15 07:44:52

Congratulations on your courage Falcon bird.I hope you're letting yourself have a nice restful weekend as a reward now.

Marmight Thu 23-Jul-15 07:50:38

flowers congratulations!!

Gracesgran Thu 23-Jul-15 09:36:42

Well done. In the "one step at a time" process that's a huge stride. Make sure you are kind to yourself now though as these things take a lot out of you and you deserve some pampering/treats!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Jul-15 09:49:42

That's so good.

Keep your pecker up, as you are doing. smile

Falconbird Thu 23-Jul-15 12:39:10

Thanks all - Gracesgran - I bought myself some paper flowers and a pair of silver hoop earrings from Amazon smile