Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

support pants

(29 Posts)
Coolgran65 Thu 30-Jul-15 21:46:06

Can anyone recommend good and comfy support pants.
I am Apple shaped and as I've got older my tummy dropped a bit and has developed an 'apron'. Two years on steroids didn't help. The apron is not awfully big but it's there and uncomfortable, I'd like support.
I wear a size 18 in trousers and underwear, and have a flattish bottom.
My purpose is not to make me slimmer, just to support my tummy. Yesterday when cleaning the bath I could feel my tummy apron wobbling......how embarrassing to have to admit that.
So what is needed are support pants to hold my tummy in place - not some fancy item that promises to make me look ever so slim.
Comfort is a big factor .... tummy support but not cutting the waist off me.

I do have a couple of lightweight stretchy all-in-one thingys that are quite good but they get a bit too warm.
Also I thought that perhaps getting a size bigger would prevent the 'cutting into the waist' discomfort.

I have fibromyalgia and hate the thought of traipsing around the shops so recommendations could give me a head start. Possibly on line.
Yes, I know the solution is to lose weight sad but in the meantime, any ideas, recommendations etc would be really welcome.

vampirequeen Fri 31-Jul-15 08:09:21

I don't wear them but I googled 'lightweight control panties' and got loads of hits. Have a look.

Coolgran65 Fri 31-Jul-15 09:33:52

I haven't worn them either and have indeed googled them. There are plenty on line. I just wondered if anyone could recommend a 'tried and tested' brand and style for comfort before I start ordering on line. Perhaps I'll have to make my way to TK Maxx smile

Gagagran Fri 31-Jul-15 09:52:37

The problem as I see it coolgran is that if you go for waist comfort and get a size bigger, they may not have the desired effect of containing the tum? Seems we can't win doesn't it? Either let it hang out or suffer. 'Twas ever thus going by the wasp-waists Edwardian ladies had to aspire to! grin

Coolgran65 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:03:39

You are so right..... Gagagran
Today I have hoked out a seldom used lightweight stretchy step-into all in one and it does the job perfectly, just not suitable for very hot weather.
Perhaps I will look for the same thing that is cut to fit below the bra.
smile

SloeGinny Fri 31-Jul-15 12:44:20

I'm the same size and situation Cool, I'm afraid I 'let it all hang out' most of the time, but I do have some proper control pants. These are not comfortable enough for all day every day, just special occasions, but the ones I can wear with comfort all day are Sloggi.s.

Coolgran65 Fri 31-Jul-15 17:51:08

SloeGinny Are they the Sloggies comfort support i.e. stop the jiggle.... or just normal pants.

Nelliemoser Sat 01-Aug-15 07:08:34

I don't think they really work They might appear to pull in the stomach a bit, but I suspect is that all they do is to even out the profile of the tissues to avoid lump and bumps. With just control pants the extra tissue which is soft is just going to poke out some where else.
I think you would need a long victorian style corset to really make a difference to body profile.
The tissues you are trying to "support" have to go somewhere.

SloeGinny Sat 01-Aug-15 08:01:24

Just looked at the label, they're Sloggi Control.

Coolgran65 Sat 01-Aug-15 08:21:44

Nellie I'm not seeking a different profile or to pull in the tummy, just looking to gently support the wobbly bit.

Sg Thank you, I had looked at these on line. How do you find the sizing. E.g. would an 18 equate to a standard M & S 18. Or is it necessary to go up a size. I'm thinking of waist comfort. Thank you so much. This is the sort of info I am interested in. Smoothing and supporting a lump bump rather than squeezing it somewhere else.

Gossidge Sat 01-Aug-15 08:55:56

You are not alone. Always the same problem it seems with any sporty wear.
I had exactly the same dilemma yesterday but with padded cycle pants, all too tight round the middle, not padded sufficiently or not long enough to reach the waist beyond the wobbly bits! Needed to do the ride so had to compromise. Ended up with elderly 'elastic slightly gone' type padded shorts with less good padding then put long but very stretchy Ldyls cycle pants over top, so then super padded but good job it wasn't too warm. Sports manufacturers think everyone is slim, if only that were true.

shysal Sat 01-Aug-15 09:21:18

How true, Gossidge. I find it very difficult to find exercise gear which fits my size 14/16. Even the garments labelled XL or XXL (difficult to find) are tight.

shysal Sat 01-Aug-15 09:27:29

Is this the kind of thing you are after, Coolgran? The support looks to be in the right place. There are lots of them on Ebay.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-S-Control-Underwear-No-VPL-Tummy-Light-Control-Full-Briefs-Knickers-8-22-/301644466702?var=&hash=item463b694a0e

AnnieGran Sat 01-Aug-15 15:52:57

Can anyone tell me if these pants will help support my painful back from the lower waist down? Anything that will allow me to stand up for more than 5 minutes at a time, please?

shysal Sat 01-Aug-15 16:30:38

I doubt it AnnieGran. I would have thought a lower back support belt would be the answer. If you google there is a wide choice. I hope you find some relief, it must be very uncomfortable for you. flowers

Coolgran65 Sat 01-Aug-15 18:32:33

shysal yes I had actually seen those and at such a low price will be ordering one pair to start with and see if they do the job with comfort. Will report back in due course....... in case anyone else would be interested wink

rosesarered Sat 01-Aug-15 20:12:39

Anniegran, I have a lower back problem and find what helps most is wearing a good belt on my jeans/ trousers, it doesn't matter what pants you wear then.

SloeGinny Sun 02-Aug-15 22:19:26

Cool, I had mine on all day yesterday at a horse show, so quite an active day. They were fine, I never felt uncomfortable. Mine have a thick waistband and they don't roll down in that annoying manner that some do. I don't think they do that much for shape, but they do stop the wobble.

I was surprised to read on the label that mine are a size 16, although I'm an 18. I think they came from Matalan and were around £13 for a pack of 3.

Coolgran65 Sun 02-Aug-15 22:44:19

SG Matalan wobble stopper sounds good. And thanks for the advice about sizing. I'll take a look, we have a Matalan not too far away and can do a comparison with the M & S pair (as suggested byshysal ) when they arrive.

I could be a ' wobble stopper/lump smoother/but not any slimmer' knicker tester.
grin

shysal Mon 03-Aug-15 09:00:34

grin
I ordered a pair of the M & S ones too, just to try. I have not worn anything like it since my mother insisted I wore a roll-on in my teens, when I was skinny!

Coolgran65 Mon 03-Aug-15 12:41:42

grinwink
There has been perhaps too much
winecupcake under our belts since our slimmer youth.

jollyg Mon 03-Aug-15 13:40:20

"Thermoskin Elastic Back Stabiliser"

Price: £15.99

I purchased this having a lower back problem, but the bonus is that it keeps the wobbly bits in check.

I can wear a size 14 trouser but with elastic band.

No back pain .

Would reccommend

Coolgran65 Fri 07-Aug-15 20:11:11

The M & S wobble stoppers as per shysal arrived this morning and I've worn them all day. I bought one size up from usual to ensure they weren't too neat at the waist, comfort being a priority.
They are comfy, do support wobbly bit, but only just. This is actually ideal. Laser cut at the legs so no VPL. However bearing in mind that I got a size up this means that the leg hole is slightly generous at the back..... no big deal.

Also, I saw them in store at £14 for a 2-pack. So ....a bargain.

Coolgran65 Fri 07-Aug-15 20:14:13

''''I mean, a bargain from eBay''''

Jane10 Fri 07-Aug-15 21:26:58

My "Not My Daughters Jeans' (TM) are expensive but excellent -all is safely gathered in! No wobble but comfy too. Any old pants do fine under them. Too much information? Sorry