Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

support pants

(30 Posts)
Coolgran65 Thu 30-Jul-15 21:46:06

Can anyone recommend good and comfy support pants.
I am Apple shaped and as I've got older my tummy dropped a bit and has developed an 'apron'. Two years on steroids didn't help. The apron is not awfully big but it's there and uncomfortable, I'd like support.
I wear a size 18 in trousers and underwear, and have a flattish bottom.
My purpose is not to make me slimmer, just to support my tummy. Yesterday when cleaning the bath I could feel my tummy apron wobbling......how embarrassing to have to admit that.
So what is needed are support pants to hold my tummy in place - not some fancy item that promises to make me look ever so slim.
Comfort is a big factor .... tummy support but not cutting the waist off me.

I do have a couple of lightweight stretchy all-in-one thingys that are quite good but they get a bit too warm.
Also I thought that perhaps getting a size bigger would prevent the 'cutting into the waist' discomfort.

I have fibromyalgia and hate the thought of traipsing around the shops so recommendations could give me a head start. Possibly on line.
Yes, I know the solution is to lose weight sad but in the meantime, any ideas, recommendations etc would be really welcome.

shysal Sat 08-Aug-15 16:58:24

I bought a pair of the ex-M & S ones too, just out of interest. I bought the correct size, but felt the loose cut of the leg hole at the back gave me a bit of a 'wedgie', which was slightly uncomfortable. However the front panel did a good job, and no muffin top, but I shan't be buying any more. I don't normally wear support pants as I too wear NYDJs most days.

Coolgran65 Sat 08-Aug-15 19:50:10

I was lucky, no wedgie smile
They were ok for the money.
The NYDJ s do seem rather expensive. I bought the M & S lift and sculpt. They felt great at first but after an hour had stretched so much that they were sliding down sad

shysal Sat 08-Aug-15 21:08:46

I buy my NYDJs on Ebay. I can usually win a pair of new or nearly new for about £30. Bootcuts are less desirable than straight leg, but ideal for cutting into summer crops.

Jane10 Sun 09-Aug-15 07:24:56

Good tip Shysal - re Ebay. I hadn't thought of looking there. NYDJs seem to last well so I don't buy new ones very often.