Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can't sleep worried about son.

(51 Posts)
Falconbird Sun 06-Sep-15 05:50:48

My son had an operation for bowel cancer last year and had to have a stoma bag. They operated on Friday and the bag was removed much to his and everyone's relief. However, his bowels aren't working yet (at least they weren't yesterday at about 10pm.) Does anyone have experience of this and know how long it takes before everything is back in working order.

loopylou Thu 10-Sep-15 18:18:15

Hooray falconbird!
That's tremendous news, here's to onwards & upwards wine & flowers x

nannieroz111 Thu 10-Sep-15 18:03:47

Great news falconbird flowers

Lona Thu 10-Sep-15 10:43:51

Falconbird flowers

cornergran Thu 10-Sep-15 10:18:22

So pleased for you all. Thank you for sharing the good news. flowers

Falconbird Thu 10-Sep-15 10:12:26

Thanks annsixty. Because of the past three years I no longer feel secure about anything, but this has been a really big positive.

annsixty Thu 10-Sep-15 10:09:35

Falconbird flowers for you all.

Falconbird Thu 10-Sep-15 10:05:46

Wonderful news. My son is home, the stoma bag has been removed and although he is tired he is now cancer free. The whole process took just over a year.

There have been some really dark days but now we can walk into the sunlight and he can enjoy being a dad again. sunshine

Thanks again for all your wonderful help and advice. flowers

grandmaz Tue 08-Sep-15 18:43:31

What an inspiring thread - for so many reasons. Wonderful news Falconbird for you and your DS and his family ...as I recently remarked to my Dil, who was lamenting the fact that her 'baby' would soon be starting school...however young, or old our DS and DD they are always our 'babies...' they just wear bigger clothes!

I shall send the link to this thread to someone dear who has just today, undergone a bowel operation to rid her of cancer...I hope that it will encourage her and make her smile a little, too.

SO glad that I belong to Gransnet...:-)

Elrel Mon 07-Sep-15 22:48:26

Very pleased and relieved for Falconbird and her son, all good wishes to them. What a wonderful supportive thread, Gransnet at its best!

Jaxie Mon 07-Sep-15 21:19:36

I'm sure you and your son are in the thoughts ( and prayers of believers) of hundreds of Gransnetters. I hope you both can feel the love.

Falconbird Sun 06-Sep-15 17:20:13

Thanks everyone. Your help has put everything into perspective. It's hard not really knowing what's going on or what is normal medical procedure.

Because my husband passed away from cancer it's made me more worried than ever but all your helpful advice and knowledge have helped me so much.

Thanks Biker - but one of the problems is that he doesn't tell me much so as not to worry me and when he does I worry more and try to hide it. confused

I guess this is the life of a mum and a gran of course.

numberplease Sun 06-Sep-15 17:15:57

My husband had surgery for bowel cancer in August 2013, and had a stoma bag afterwards. 13 months later, after tests, he was told that he was fit for a stoma reversal op, which took place in January of this year. All went well with the reversal, but unfortunately he contracted pneumonia, and was in ICU for 8 weeks, so it took a while for things to start working as they should down there, but all OK now. I remember the farting when he was on ICU, and us jokingly telling him that he was a pig, and the nurse said "no, no, farting is good!"
So pleased, Falconbird, that your son is doing so well.

bikergran Sun 06-Sep-15 16:04:56

Falcon he is so lucky to have a loving mum, and I am sure he really appreciates all the worrying you do.

Coolgran65 Sun 06-Sep-15 15:53:12

Such an uplifting thread... The support given to Falcolbird makes my heart soar.

Falconbird flowers

And to everyone else flowers

pattie Sun 06-Sep-15 15:35:02

Hi I had a big chunk of bowel removed and didn't eat much for ten days. The medics were only concerned I had passed wind. Nothing else concerned them.

Babyboomer Sun 06-Sep-15 14:22:04

Falconbird, I'm so glad your son has had good news. Although I never had a stoma bag, about 10 years ago I had to have a section of my bowel removed, and my digestion stopped for about three weeks afterwards. I remember how worried I felt, so I would like to reassure you that things did return to normal, and I have never had any trouble since. Bowel surgery is quite a shock to the system, so I suppose it is not surprising that the digestive system takes a while to get back to normal. I wish your son a speedy recovery.

Jane10 Sun 06-Sep-15 13:09:34

After my DF had his bowel op we learned to rejoice at every fart! I still do but without that good reason grin

hulahoop Sun 06-Sep-15 13:06:50

My hubby as just had reversal of stoma is in hospital at moment he had op done Thursday and started passing wind yesterday but S a retired nurse know everyone is different his consultant is happy with how he is says it can take a few months to settle when you think how insides have been shunted about you can understand this .

Indinana Sun 06-Sep-15 12:59:24

So good to read your news, Falcon. Who knew breaking wind could break out such smiles! grin

Lona Sun 06-Sep-15 12:09:23

falcon that's great news, you can stop worrying now! as if! smile

chrissyh Sun 06-Sep-15 11:53:35

What a brilliant thing this site can be - I've gone from tears from reading Falconbirds post and subsequent good news, to laughing at durham jen's post about her DIL. Keep up the good work everyone.

durhamjen Sun 06-Sep-15 11:23:46

It wasn't for cancer, Falcon. Initially they were not going to do a reversal, and she had got used to the idea of having a stoma bag for life, so it was a big relief for her when they decided to do it after all.

Margsus Sun 06-Sep-15 11:13:33

.....and it is so very true!

Margsus Sun 06-Sep-15 11:13:10

I love that saying Alea, although I knew it in a slightly different context - Kleine kinder, Kleine tsorres, grosse kinder, grosse tsorres - same meaning, but in Yiddish

NanSue Sun 06-Sep-15 11:00:58

Good news. Wishing him a speedy recovery.flowers