Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandson Mean

(53 Posts)
nana3923 Tue 15-Sep-15 22:56:49

i have a soon to be 6 year old grandson who is unkind and disrespectful. I don't know how a child can say such hurtful things and do hurtful things. For example he will punch me, squeeze my hand to hurt, kick. I don't know what I can do.

Elrel Tue 29-Sep-15 18:11:05

I was given 'How to Talk so Kids will Listen ...' Sometime later I found a teenage GD reading it, she commented 'This is good, nan!'
I was delighted as it was her previous behaviour which had led to our being given the book!
They do so change as they get older. One who used to mutter horrible things to me under his breath is now amazingly positive towards me. Sometimes so positive that I point out some of my imperfections as a parent and grandparent. He also reckons me one of the happiest people he knows - for me both a huge tonic and a reminder to make the best of things!! ??

Faye Tue 29-Sep-15 22:03:05

Both your GSs will more than likely turn out like their father if your DD stays with her husband, he is their role model. I feel more sorry for your four year old grandson having an older sibling physically fighting with him every day.

I agree with consequences and I would also tell your GS very firmly to not speak to you like that. Of course also give him hugs and tell him you love him, he is only six years old. All children need to know they are loved, it's the most important thing you can do, he must be terribly confused.