Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

burnt crispbread = smelly house

(27 Posts)
RevGrandmaEMR Thu 17-Sep-15 16:55:41

Dear gransnetters, please help me with your wisdom. At lunchtime I found some crispbread which had been in the tin for a while and was slighty non-crunchy, so in a moment of thriftiness, I decided to crisp up a few slices by giving them a short blast in the toaster. Unfortunately I became distracted out of the kitchen into the living room but suddenly remembered my "cooking". DH was making his lunchtime snack with his back to the toaster, smoke coming out of toaster bigtime, smoke filling the upper half of the kitchen! shock Burnt crispbread out the window, followed by toaster (received by DH who had opened the back door.) It was so interesting to see the way the smoke went out of the patio doors once we opened them. As a scientific learning point it was very effective. However, fan still on in kitchen, windows still open nearly 4 hours later, yankee candle burning away merrily and everything is kippered. blush There's a working smoke alarm in the hallway, but I will buy one to be installed in the kitchen asap. On the same shopping trip I will be looking for industrial strength febreze to spray curtains and upholstery. I would love to have any other tips for getting rid of the guff. Thanks for reading!

Kayteeb53 Sat 19-Sep-15 10:44:04

Like the idea of that Eccentric, will give that a go