Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Your Christmas wishlist

(48 Posts)
finnishline Wed 21-Oct-15 10:44:24

Hello gransnetters. I'm over from MN but hoping you will be able to help me. I'm trying to start my Christmas shopping early so I can budget properly and I'm struggling to think of ideas for parents and parents in law. I don't want to get them more bath bubbles and golf balls. And my MIL has too many winter gloves to count. What would you like to receive? I always include a recent pic of the grandchildren too so that bit is covered... I have about a £20/£25 budget for each person.

Alea Wed 21-Oct-15 10:48:27

Some people find them boring but White Company or Neom candles or their other smellies (the brand has to be right)I do like scarves, but it helps if the donor knows my taste, DVD box sets, (same proviso) vouchers for theatre/restaurant/pampering session.
I do hope you are one of my DDs! grin

kittylester Wed 21-Oct-15 10:48:49

My C*******s wish list is for no one to mention it until after the street fair. Thank you!! grin

Pittcity Wed 21-Oct-15 10:49:24

In our family we spend the Christmas present budget on the children, so I don't expect anything but an invitation to visit from my children.

finnishline Wed 21-Oct-15 10:58:35

whoops! sorry kittylester Completely understand. Thanks for the suggestions Alea. I LOVE those candles myself. Not sure my own mum is too bothered about brands but my MIL would prob appreciate White Co too.

Bellanonna Wed 21-Oct-15 11:00:12

A voucher for a manicure or pedicure? It might not cover it, but it's the thought ....
Or similar, towards a treatment of her choice at the local health club, or Neals Yard, or whatever is available within striking distance.

Alea Wed 21-Oct-15 11:01:55

You are clearly not my DD then sad finnishline, it's the thought that counts and thinking about the right brand is integral!! smile

Coolgran65 Wed 21-Oct-15 11:05:04

I just love vouchers for my hairdresser, manicure/ped, favourite store.

finnishline Wed 21-Oct-15 11:05:45

Be lovely if you were - at least then I'd know for sure you were getting something you wanted! Think we should do a MN/GN gift matching service grin

Coolgran65 Wed 21-Oct-15 11:08:23

Oh...or vouchers for nice restaurant or local theatre.

Stansgran Wed 21-Oct-15 11:09:09

Best presents from DDs include Jo Malone candle and room spray,ice grips for my shoes,distinctive suitcase bands,a thingummy for charging phones in the car. Not all at once I may add. If you give flowers around C*******s growing in a bowl is better than having to water. The best present I gave Mil was a flower delivery every month for a year in arrangement with a local florist not inter flora types but it was a special birthday in December and a joint present. All I want from DDs is regular phone calls or emails but I'm sure you do that as you sound a very thoughtful DD and DIL

harrigran Wed 21-Oct-15 11:09:19

No problem in our family, no gifts for adults only the children get a gift. I take the family out for lunch on Christmas day and that gives everyone a break from the kitchen.

Nonnie Wed 21-Oct-15 11:35:07

Stansgran don't think you can get JM for £20-£25 or 10 lots of flowers!

Assuming they have pretty much got all they need I think it would be nice to buy them something they wouldn't buy themselves. How about a voucher for afternoon tea for a couple? Groupon or Living Social are good places to look. Also things on Virgin Experiences can be in your price range especially if for a couple. If they drink then an upmarket bottle of whatever they usually drink. If they like chocolate (I have heard that some don't!) a small box of something exclusive. Upmarket shower gel, shampoo or body wash.

A bit nearer the time I intend to hint heavily for a chain saw!

shysal Wed 21-Oct-15 11:40:48

DD2 sometimes gives me an Amazon voucher for birthday (we don't do adult Christmas gifts). It is great to wait until I am buying something anyway, only to find the item is paid for on checkout, as I have often forgotten that I had applied the voucher to my account.
To be honest, as regards actual presents, most of us oldies already have all we need, which makes us very difficult to buy for.

LullyDully Wed 21-Oct-15 11:44:26

We had a tea for two up the Spinnaker tower for both of us. We kept it until Spring and enjoyed the sunset over the Isle of Wight. Magical....and the tea was nice. So tea for two somewhere is a nice present. Prices vary and can be very expensive.

Must be honest I do look forward to the photos or anything for the garden

ninathenana Wed 21-Oct-15 11:46:46

Vouchers for eating out, theatre trip would be most welcome by me too, plus you could cover the couple that way. I'd also appreciate a years subscription to my favourite magazine. I wouldn't appreciate anything for the home !
If your thinking of fathers too.DH likes book tokens, vouchers for Screwfix or garden centre.

Indinana Wed 21-Oct-15 11:49:37

If they have any hobbies then vouchers could be an idea. I for one would always appreciate vouchers for crafts, eg from Hobbycraft, or a local (or online) fabric/quilting shop. I would always prefer that to smellies or gloves, scarves and so on.

grannyactivist Wed 21-Oct-15 12:25:31

For my parents in law I prefer to give an 'experience' rather than an 'item' IYSWIM. So tea for two, cinema or theatre tickets, wine tasting - and as we know their favourite 'gift' is to spend time with us, we often accompany them. smile

Greyduster Wed 21-Oct-15 12:32:29

I have given cinema vouchers before now and they seemed to have been well received (it can be a costly business going to see a film these days). Or as stated, eating out or the theatre. Personally, I like to receive a bottle of Moulton Brown shower gel, which I love but baulk at buying for myself as it is expensive! I have a problem, because DH doesn't like giving vouchers for presents - he says it doesn't look like a present. I think it is eminently sensible, so we always have a battle.

annsixty Wed 21-Oct-15 12:39:24

I like to receive luxury food items that I wouldn't buy for myself eg fruit in liqueurs, lovely cheese etc.

Anne58 Wed 21-Oct-15 12:40:09

Magazine subscription?

hildajenniJ Wed 21-Oct-15 12:44:18

How about an eBook voucher if they have a kindle etc. My DS gave me one of these and I managed to buy two books with it. I like to receive hairdresser vouchers too. This year I am dropping into the conversation my need for a new pillow. I really, really want another buckwheat pillow. Are they dropping any hints yet?

MiniMouse Wed 21-Oct-15 12:46:03

My DD gives us a calendar with a photo of the DGCs printed on it for each month, which we always love. DS does a hamper - not a 'bought' one, they choose a few goodies to go in it. What about a shrub/fruit tree for the garden (if they have one). That's what DD & DS bought us one year. We only ever want a token present, their £££ are needed for higher priorities wink smile

annodomini Wed 21-Oct-15 13:30:28

Since I've have had everything I need or want and really don't want any more clutter in my small house, I have asked my family not to give me presents, but instead to give gifts from Save the Children Wishlist to families or communities who do need them. Of course, unless your relatives have asked you to do this, they might get a bit of a shock if they were expecting little luxuries.

Maggiemaybe Wed 21-Oct-15 13:31:09

Apart from the photos (very thoughtful), just a good book and some chocs (marzipan, if they're for me smile). Nicely wrapped, please!

Though I did notice yesterday while in T K Maxx that I am by no means the only woman who can spend over half an hour inhaling the glorious perfume of their scented candles and then move on to their posh soaps.

The older men in my family seem to like booze and comfort top socks. confused