Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Your Christmas wishlist

(49 Posts)
finnishline Wed 21-Oct-15 10:44:24

Hello gransnetters. I'm over from MN but hoping you will be able to help me. I'm trying to start my Christmas shopping early so I can budget properly and I'm struggling to think of ideas for parents and parents in law. I don't want to get them more bath bubbles and golf balls. And my MIL has too many winter gloves to count. What would you like to receive? I always include a recent pic of the grandchildren too so that bit is covered... I have about a £20/£25 budget for each person.

stillhere Wed 21-Oct-15 13:57:34

I love getting vouchers, then I can go to the sales and choose something to wear. Maybe if you could find out where she likes to buy most of her clothes? Or even Boots vouchers, then I can buy toiletries and makeup that I like, or spend it on something I want to try out but am worried that I may not like it. Crocus vouchers for the garden, Amazon vouchers - I think I like my DD's approach, she buys me a voucher and then something small to unwrap, like little cheap pretty slippers that are good for taking on weekends away, or a jewelled pen or nice notebook.

Liz46 Wed 21-Oct-15 14:02:31

One of my daughters bought me a bird of prey experience and I loved it.
I really don't want more 'things' and your parents and in laws probably feel the same so how about taking them somewhere nice for a meal?
I was in M&S with one of my daughters the other day and she spotted some pjs that she fancied so I bought them for her for Christmas. I spotted some that I like too so she can surprise me as well!

downtoearth Wed 21-Oct-15 14:06:30

books please,I have a list should you be asking me,and the peace and quiet to be able to read it,in my new pjs that you have bought me so that I can be comfortable and look gorgeous whilst eating the chocolate brazils you have bought for me,and sipping my Baileys/wine,whilst waiting for my christmas meal to appear in front of me,and my empty plate placed in dishwasher along with your own and not placed on top of dishwasher confused I would be indeed a happy nanny,if this is my darling resident teenager who is pretending to be a DIL who would like to know how to make me happy for christmas....just a thought

M0nica Wed 21-Oct-15 15:19:24

In our family everyone prepares a Christmas list of gift ideas that other family members can consult or ignore. Sometimes the list starts a thought process that results in a completely unexpected but just right present.

Stansgran Thu 22-Oct-15 21:16:26

Sorry Nonnie didn't see the budget too full of thinking what DH has asked me to make a list . Some good ideas on here.

Falconbird Fri 23-Oct-15 07:02:48

I always buy my dils Next Vouchers. They can buy things for themselves or for their children. I send my eldest son an e mail saying "things your old mum might like for Christmas." usually something on line which helps him because he's always busy.

finnishline I always like a framed photo of my grandchildren because they change so quickly.

suzied Fri 23-Oct-15 07:42:29

We do a secret Santa for adults using a secret Santa generator. Everyone gets an email anonymously with the name of the person they have to buy for. There is an agreed budget and people can put a wish list of suggestions on it. Has made Christmas shopping so much easier, only 1 present to buy apart from the children. Link below.
www.drawnames.co.uk/secret-santa-generator

sherish Fri 23-Oct-15 07:57:18

We received a garden centre voucher one Christmas and we put it towards a bird bath which is still enjoyed.

We could have spent it on Spring flowering bulbs too I suppose.

loopylou Fri 23-Oct-15 08:43:26

My parents have n subscription to the county magazine 'This is Wiltshire ', I'm sure other counties have similar journals, as well as a food hamper made up of little treats.

My inlaws were nightmares to buy for, MIL 'recycled' anything she was given, FIL's presents were never acknowledged- I suspect his went the same way!

My DCs don't buy us presents, we prefer to have a lovely family meal out together instead, often followed by a country walk and home for a 'proper' tea smile

Falconbird Fri 23-Oct-15 08:45:00

A personal Christmas wish for me is that my youngest son and his family would be reconciled with his two older brothers and their family. They split apart when my DH passed away 3 years ago and the little cousins have never seen each other. Not much chance of that happening at the moment. Writing this seems to make it more of a possibility.

Garden Centre vouchers are always welcome as are Boots Vouchers. Supermarket Vouchers always seem a bit mundane but then again you can buy lots of luxury items with them. A bigger gift could be a hamper with Christmas food etc., Cookery Books if cooking is a hobby, or other Hobby Books.

I recently bought a Thermos Flask mug for one of my sons who spends a lot of time at his desk with his coffee cooling by his side.

Anya Fri 23-Oct-15 08:47:15

I'd love to be back in my house for Christmas, but it's not going to happen.

gillybob Fri 23-Oct-15 08:50:42

You sound like a very thoughtful DiL finnishline (my own buys lovely gifts).

Personally I love a good diary (Cath Kidston is my favourite) a pretty scarf, PJ's (BHs and M&S both have 20% off events at the moment) a bottle of nice fizz (if she drinks, or a posh cordial if she doesn't) something from Lush (I love the soaps and the bath bombs) a special packet of coffee, posh tea bags, body butter (can't beat body shop for the price) smelly candles, cosy socks, a nice fleecy throw (bhs again excellent value), a Cd compilation, a good biography, pretty little earrings, a box of Florentines (M&S are my fablvourite and a real Christmas treat for me at around £3 ) .... All within your budget I think.

Good luck. smile

KatyK Fri 23-Oct-15 10:36:56

Great minds kitty When I saw this post, I was going to reply with 'my wish list is for people not to mention the C word in October. Sorry to be unhelpful grin

annodomini Fri 23-Oct-15 10:54:50

We used to have an agreement about that, KatyK but that was quite some time ago. Perhaps next year we need to re-make that agreement as this year seems to be a lost cause.

KatyK Fri 23-Oct-15 11:42:16

anno My DD usually has all her gifts bought and wrapped in September! I think it's due to finances so understandable I suppose. I must say reading these posts has given me some ideas so I am being a bit hypocritical!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 23-Oct-15 12:08:36

That's a good list gillybob. I'm going to get some of that for DD1. You're not much older than her. smile

annodomini Fri 23-Oct-15 12:41:17

I would miss the panic excitement of last-minute shopping, KatyK, though in practice, I do a lot of it on line nowadays. Ah, but nothing beats that dash to M&S on C****** Eve to pick up a suitable gift for DiL's mum who, as I've just discovered, is also going to be there...

finnishline Fri 23-Oct-15 13:55:21

Some absolutely amazing suggestions here - thanks so much everyone. flowers And apologies again to those who didn't want to hear the C*** word yet. Will make sure I bear that in mind for next year grin.

AdeleJay Fri 23-Oct-15 14:01:46

Finnishline, I'm so impressed that you are asking for advice. It is difficult to buy for people who seem to have everything/need nothing. I too write a Christmas/Birthday list (December birthday) with items in different price ranges. I love vouchers (Boots is always good as are ones from garden centres). What about one from the Hairdresser? I had a lovely gift voucher one year for a massage - bliss. Scented room diffusers, pretty notebooks, a couple of new vases, new mugs are all on my list. I did love the idea of a voucher and a little present to unwrap - brilliant

finnishline Fri 23-Oct-15 14:42:12

Thanks AdeleJay. that's been the problem really. They seem to have everything they really need. I do love the garden centres idea. My mum pottering in her garden all year round and they'll definitely get used. Her birthday is also just after Christmas so I feel I've got enough ideas here to see me through for that too!

Greyduster Fri 23-Oct-15 15:16:36

I have just bought three presents!!!shock and it is still ONLY OCTOBER! How did that happen? I have to go and lie down now - I've come over all unnecessary!

KatyK Fri 23-Oct-15 15:40:33

I must say that being retired makes it all less stressful. I used to work in the city centre and the shops were so crowded and the crush on the bus at night are things I don't miss at Christmas. Also people saying 'as you work in town, could you pop and get me such and such in your lunch hour?' Now I can shop at my leisure. smile

Judthepud2 Fri 23-Oct-15 23:20:01

Yes agreed, vouchers for whatever they particularly like. And an afternoon tea somewhere elegant is such a lovely gift IMO.

Not too long now everyone! Ha ha! October is nearly over. Round here some enthusiasts actually put their trees up in November! shock