Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas gift ideas for aunts in their late 80s and early 90s please.

(36 Posts)
Clematisa Fri 06-Nov-15 17:07:02

Looking for inspiration please... I usually give my aunts the same gift and in the past have given them a plant or similar sent straight to them, from a usually reliable site but last year the plants weren't up to scratch so am now looking for inspiration... any ideas please?

Bug180 Sat 07-Nov-15 18:30:23

I would make hampers too, cover an open box with wrapping paper, place some bubble wrap in and cover with tissue paper (much cheaper than a basket) fill with tea bags, biscuits, tinned ham/salmon, preserves, sweets etc then wrap in cellophane or cling film (smile). My son usually does one for his grandma, a photo calendar also a good idea, lots of deals out there at the mo too.

rosequartz Sat 07-Nov-15 18:33:35

Yes, we did a home-made hamper one year for MIL with a box covered in Christmas paper and lots of food that we knew she would eat but may not necessarily buy for herself, plus things such as tea bags.
Then tied it up with red ribbon.

We like a photo calendar, and have just received one of those printed photo albums of a year in the life of DGS (no, we haven't peeked!)

littleflo Sat 07-Nov-15 22:09:09

Lakeland do lovely sweets and low priced gifts. The beauty of the sweets is they come in small packs and have a nice old fashioned look to them.

Marmight Sat 07-Nov-15 23:14:24

Each Christmas I make up a small hamper for my 100 year old Aunt with small jars and boxes of jam, pâté, chutney, chocs, biscuits etc.. And small bottles of wine and whisky! She wants for nothing and eats like a mouse so this suits her down to the ground.

granjura Sun 08-Nov-15 09:56:53

Perhaps by far the best present we can give to the elderly- is a bit of ouir very precious TIME.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 08-Nov-15 10:22:54

If they're still so active I would go for a little luxury as others have suggested and nothing to do with their age. Lakeland does have a great selection of things at Christmas you perhaps wouldn't buy for yourself, but would love to receive as a treat.

You might consider a saress for the one going off to Spain. It's a combination of a dress and a sarong and easy to slip on. I know so many friends and friends of friends who have bought one and years ago, some ended up with 2 or 3. I am sure when they first came out they were £24.99, but I saw an advert in the back of a magazine recently and now they're only £10.99, so within your budget. It's ages since we went abroad, but I am thinking about getting one anyway. Just a thought.

Saress I have nothing to do with the company by the way.

goose1964 Sun 08-Nov-15 10:26:21

my gran used to ask for Badedas bubble bath into her 90s, & MIL (84) loves her Lush shower gels.

LuckyDucky Sun 08-Nov-15 15:22:26

Wine is a nice idea, near Christmas. However, some meds preclude alcohol. sad

Which good ideas you liked the most clem

Anya Sun 08-Nov-15 16:13:19

Can't make any suggestions as don't know the elderly aunts in question, but I know two old ladies in their 90's who have cupboards crammed full of toiletries, chocolates, slippers, bottles of this and that, which they have received and never used hmm

I like the idea of taking them out somewhere, of their own choice. Donate a day of your time to them.

Clematisa Sun 08-Nov-15 16:46:04

Great ideas... will check with my cousins about pampering vouchers close-by as they'd know best. Love the photos on the calendar idea but think that'd be better suited to the cousins - though I may have some photos of the great- nieces and nephews that they wouldn't have... will have a look at that idea again!
Lol! They are all definitely "very lively"!!! My gran had 5 daughters - she lived to be 102 and my mum and her older sister were both over 90 when they died! All did exercises every morning, my mum had a mini-bike in the bathroom which she used every day! Can't say I do anything like that - I only get my exercise in the garden.
Gran's words of wisdom to me were "Have daughters - they'll take care of you in your old age!"